• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From 'born again' to agnostic

Wotan

I think you're so right about the abusive element to the way some people use religion to try to shape, mis-shape and taunt children, and it goes on into adulthood as well with the Church in all sorts of awful ways. I was raised in an entirely non-religious household, then 'found God' when I went to university, then 'lost' him/ her/ it again somewhere along the way thereafter. The thing that really gets me is that ever since, their attitudes have permeated my attempts to think honestly and seriously about spiritual matters because of that fear element. Why do they feel the need to use fear and threats to try to make people share their views?!

Because simple reasoning shows the entire system to be both foolish and useless. So fear is the only real weapon they have.

And they do SO enjoy using it.:(

Danmac

And exactly how did a little Haitian baby "refuse an umbrella?" How is the baby to blame for its own suffering and death?

Are you naturally cruel and heartless? Or is it the fault of the same religion that brings that out in emiliano?

Parents refuse the umbrella and the baby is affected by parental neglect.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I think you're so right about the abusive element to the way some people use religion to try to shape, mis-shape and taunt children, and it goes on into adulthood as well with the Church in all sorts of awful ways. I was raised in an entirely non-religious household, then 'found God' when I went to university, then 'lost' him/ her/ it again somewhere along the way thereafter. The thing that really gets me is that ever since, their attitudes have permeated my attempts to think honestly and seriously about spiritual matters because of that fear element. Why do they feel the need to use fear and threats to try to make people share their views?!

Well obviously, if the evidence indicated it was true, they wouldn't have to use either fear or promises; they'd just tell you the evidence.

The fact that religions do use both fear and promises to get you to believe things is strong evidence that they are not true, IMO.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Parents refuse the umbrella and the baby is affected by parental neglect.

1. So you God is completely unjust? Or not all-powerful? Or what?
2. Devout Christians lose their children to terrible diseases and hazards on a regular basis. Please explain how they are responsible for "refusing the umbrella."

Luminous

non-existential luminary
The same way they created smog, and the greenhouse effect. Years of disobedience that affects the very atmosphere.
how did dinasours disobey? oh wait, we killed them didn't we...or better yet, fossils are just a trick by the enemy that your God created for itself. a curious demonically retarded being indeed: that would allow enemies for itself, and would megerly sacrafise itself to itself, so that it can forgive some of its creation, even though it created them for their destiny. what an odd desert jin indeed.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
What have you done for them?
The Church has done plenty!:shout
It has done (and not done) plenty more. Red Cross and other organizations have helped and others have also used it as an opportunity to make profits...such as by winning converts to their coorporation. your point would be?

Last edited:

Luminous

non-existential luminary
The man that refuses an offered umbrella should not blame the rain for getting wet.
No, he should blame the trees for not covering him up :sarcastic. or himself for not being genious enough to carry an umbrella in clear skys.
seriously: what is the point of your random Confusious-says quotes?

Luminous

non-existential luminary
cuz it works silly. :cool: or worked..idk.

emiliano

It has done (and not done) plenty more. Red Cross and other organizations have helped and others have also used it as an opportunity to make profits...such as by winning converts to their coorporation. your point would be?
It’s just that we are running out of doers, we seem to spend more time in talking about the issues of poverty, immorality, drug usage, crime rates, etc than doing something about it, what is it that you find wrong with the great work that the Church does and what they teach?

Misty

It’s just that we are running out of doers, we seem to spend more time in talking about the issues of poverty, immorality, drug usage, crime rates, etc than doing something about it, what is it that you find wrong with the great work that the Church does and what they teach?

Some Christians do a fantastic job that can't be denied, and their actions should speak for themselves. It is when aid comes wrapped up in the 'salvation' package which is just a belief and not a credible one, NOT a fact that I have a problem with it.

Danmac

that, or maybe your kind is just really annoying. Being as Christian fundamentalists persecute muslim children.
Since you're so bold to make such a statement, I will ask you to offer some sort of evidence to back up your statement.

In my revelation, God has no enemies...having enemies requires weakness. all we have here is demon fighting demon.

In your revelation? And what revelation would that be?

emiliano

Some Christians do a fantastic job that can't be denied, and their actions should speak for themselves. It is when aid comes wrapped up in the 'salvation' package which is just a belief and not a credible one, NOT a fact that I have a problem with it.

This is true, but the question remains “what is it that you find wrong with the great work that the Church does and what they teach?” I haven’t heard anyone one to say that they were denied hep if the aren’t Christian. Have you?
What t do you think that the salvation doctrine teaches?
The salvation doctrines brings hope to the lost, that. What it does!
Psa 145:18 The LORD is near to all who call upon Him, To all who call upon Him in truth.
Joe 2:32 And it shall come to pass That whoever calls on the name of the LORD Shall be saved. For in Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there shall be deliverance, As the LORD has said, Among the remnant whom the LORD calls.
Act 15:11 "But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved in the same manner as they."
Rom 10:13 For "whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved."

Misty

This is true, but the question remains “what is it that you find wrong with the great work that the Church does and what they teach?” I haven’t heard anyone one to say that they were denied hep if the aren’t Christian. Have you?
What t do you think that the salvation doctrine teaches?
Psa 145:18 The LORD is near to all who call upon Him, To all who call upon Him in truth.
Joe 2:32 And it shall come to pass That whoever calls on the name of the LORD Shall be saved. For in Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there shall be deliverance, As the LORD has said, Among the remnant whom the LORD calls.
Act 15:11 "But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved in the same manner as they."
Rom 10:13 For "whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved."

What does that really mean? I have no desire to be in heaven with the god of the people who believe only the 'saved' go to heaven, or its acolytes!