• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freud

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
‡Ød¥‡ said:
His beliefs where so controversial they kinda got psychiatry etc in greater public interest and thus lead to advancement.
Considering what psychology was like before Freud I'd say he really got things moving and not just because of controversy.

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
First of all I think it is certainly important to acknowledge psychoanalytical psychology is unscientific but then a great deal of very useful things are. I have no problem considering it an art of sorts and given the subjective nature of its practice this seems healthy to me. This also prevents it falling into pseudoscience.

Secondly its important to understand much has happened to psychoanalytic theory since Freud. Not only has there been a great deal of revision and expansion with separate schools developing as offshoots but there are a large number of different forms of psychotherapy many with some direct connection to psychoanalysis. On the one hand I see a problem in that academic psychology tends to focus too much on Freud's original ideas which skews people's views of psychoanalysis as it exists today and on the other hand the popularisation of Freudian terminology has muddied the waters by creating a situation where people talk about the unconscious, the ego, repression, libido, etc. without realising that many of the things that have become associated with these terms deviate significantly from the psychoanalytical definitions. While little can be done about the latter problem I do wish something would be done about the former.