• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Free will. How would you want to live

How would you rather live

• A

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B

Votes: 8 100.0%

• Total voters

We Never Know

No Slack
A. Would you rather be completely controlled, have no choices, no thoughts of your own, etc with no atrocities. (Have no free will)
Or ....
B. Would you rather have control, have choices, have your own thoughts, etc with atrocities. (Have free will)

I chose B

ppp

A. Would you rather be completely controlled, have no choices, no thoughts of your own, etc with no atrocities. (Have no free will)
Or ....
B. Would you rather have control, have choices, have your own thoughts, etc with atrocities. (Have free will)

I chose B
Even without free will my choices are my own. They're not anybody else's.

Audie

Veteran Member
Or ....

I chose B

B is what we get. But if its a choice, yes.
Totally.

We Never Know

No Slack
Also, whatever I am, I am born with a nature, not blow by below instructions.

The thread is based on of a creating god being able to stop everything bad then why doesn't he.
To stop bad he would have to be in complete control of everyone and everything, hence choices A and B

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
One interesting thing about me believing in free will is I've had chronic severe schizophrenia. When your voices/delusions/hallucinations can control you like that it's a lot harder to believe in free will... but I still don't believe in it.

ppp

The thread is based on of a creating god being able to stop everything bad then why doesn't he.
To stop bad he would have to be in complete control of everyone and everything, hence choices A and B
Ah. Well. If it's the Christian God, definitely A.

amorphous_constellation

Or ....

I chose B

I had just been reading about something called the 'conjunction fallacy,' and I wonder if that ties in. I think it may, though I'm not sure how at the moment

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
What if the creator deity isn't really omnimax, but only able to initiate the universe, but not be able greatly influence its progress, not know what's going on at every point at every instant, not be able to control, not have the knowledge or wisdom to address all needs of any creatures that might evolve within it?

ppp

So you would want him control you rather than you control yourself?
If I am an automaton then there is no me. My body would be a pZombie. Living with free will under an actual Christian god would just be hell on earth. And then hell in hell.

amorphous_constellation

The issue I think, with your premise, is that 'atrocities' is an independent variable. Either or A or B is more likely than A or B +/- C. So it's hard to answer your question, because you are adding a causal stack that is less likely than merely A or B, (determinism or free-will) when you are adding the necessary absence or presence of C (which is the variable for 'atrocities')

Last edited:

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I chose B. A is an automaton.

And why wouldn't God take prisoners and have a holy guard to do God's justice instead of denying free will?

An omnipotent God can do anything apart from denying people free will.

Why create people who cannot choose for themselves what path they will take? That makes no sense. A is not even being alive.

Of course an option C might be that God would only create beings that freely only desired good instead of evil. God making a free will that doesn't desire any evil. God is omnipotent, so nothing is beyond God's power to do.

So I have two reasons why God doesn't exist, or rather that God is not omnipotent.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Kevin McCarthy is definitely an A. He tried being a B the day after the Jan 6 attack, but he realized that won't work.