• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

France and military intervention!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That would have been "hochdeutsch". But no one in germany speaks hochdeutsch. Its basically only for formal letters so that everyone can communicate with eachother.
Apart from school or work everyone uses the local dialect.
This is why so many people who learned german in school outside of germany/austria/switzerland are really puzzled when they get to germany and dont understand anything. :D
German dialects - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quite a good map.
There are quite a few videos on youtube about this but they are all on german. ;)
No argument. My point was that a great many languages have dialects, yet are still recognized as a lanugage.
One wouldn't argue that there is no "Chinese", simply because Guan Dong Hua sounds different from Beijing Hua.
(Characters are the same though.)

Flankerl

Well iam no expert on chinese languages. Though i know that mandarin and cantonese are quite different.

In germany its actually quite clear. Obviously there is a german language. Everyone learns it in school, its on TV, Radio or newspapers. But apart from that the 3 1/2 west germanic languages in germany still exist.
Upper german is considerably different from central or low german. You dont have that kind of variation in britain.

Ha!
[youtube]2Ma5nFPw7Cc[/youtube]
YouTube - Lerne Plattdeutsch

Oh no extra3.

[youtube]k7a6ak8QggY[/youtube]
YouTube - Ein Wetterchen!

Last edited:

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
I found the people of France, Germany, and Switzerland to be very friendly. Granted I'm not the most observant person, so they could have been laughing at me, and I wouldn't have picked it up.

I'm mixed on Italy.

My father used to speak a combination of Russian and German. Back when I took a year of German in college, he would constantly correct me. Let's see...all I remember is (and just for fun, I'm not gonna Google this to double check my spelling):

"Wie heissen Sie?"
"Ich heisse Anne."

and

"Frohe Weinachten!"

My apologies if I screwed all that up. :D

I liked learning German. I felt it made sense. I'm playing a bit with Spanish now. It was fun until we got into conjugating verbs.
smiley-angry035.gif

lunakilo

My father used to speak a combination of Russian and German. Back when I took a year of German in college, he would constantly correct me.
I bet that is why you never lerned it.

One of the main reason my german is so bad is that my mother always tried to correct me when I spoke it (she taught german in high school). It was very annoying, and I just started ignoring her to get back at her. With the wisdom of hindsight maybe that was not very smart :eek:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
One of the main reason my german is so bad is that my mother always tried to correct me when I spoke it (she taught german in high school). It was very annoying, and I just started ignoring her to get back at her. With the wisdom of hindsight maybe that was not very smart :eek:
Or maybe you wisely preserved your mental health. Not every battle is worth fighting.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Now you know why American English is so weird.
It is a mongrel of everything.
No, no....American English is the normal language.
And the normal version (standard midwest broadcast English) has no accent all.
Only other people have accents.
How do I know this? It's obvious to me!

lunakilo

No, no....American English is the normal language.
And the normal version (standard midwest broadcast English) has no accent all.
Only other people have accents.
How do I know this? It's obvious to me!
Yes, and God told you this. And since you have faith there is no doubt in your mind that this is true ;)

Wombat

Yes, and God told you this. And since you have faith there is no doubt in your mind that this is true ;)

But of course this is true...God has left clear evidence of the fact She speaks English on Butterfly wings-

butterflies_typing.jpg

Divine gender is also hereby established because clearly if God was a guy he would have put evidence of his chosen language on something tough and cool....like the Rhino...or the Wombat.:rolleyes: