• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

France and military intervention!

kai

ragamuffin
I have noticed over the years that France does indeed flex its military muscle when it feels like it , but it never seems to draw much attention.

When troops entered the grounds of the presidential residence where Laurent Gbagbo had been holding out, defended by his die-hard loyalist forces, it was crucial for the future of Alassane Ouattara's presidency that those making this final breakthrough were from Ivory Coast - and not France, the former colonial power

BBC News - Why France must tread carefully in Ivory Coast

Flankerl

France was always deep in their former african colonies. Its really just that most people dont realise about it.

Also it doesnt fit into the stereotypes americans have of the french.

lunakilo

1) They intervene in Africa, and who outside Africa care what happens in Africa?
2) People love to hate the USA, if is to much work to hate France to.
3) They speak french which makes it dificult for people who don't speak french to figure out what is going on.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Americans don't want their image of France as a country of effete artists and intellectuals shaken up. They'd have to find someone else to joke about -- and they have enough trouble finding France as it is. :rolleyes:
If they had to take a serious look at the country they'd be confronted not only by a superior quality of life, but with a formidable military as well.. They prefer to keep their heads in the sand.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Ahhh, France - where Roman Catholicism is state-subsidized, burkas are banned, and Peugots are considered good looking cars...

All good natured ribbing aside...

France has the world's fourth largest military budget, and the world's third largest nuclear cache.

As an American who has visited France several times (and going back again in two months!) my impression is this - it's a beautiful, beautiful country full of mostly nice people, but with a higher than average number of people who are MARKEDLY unfriendly, for whatever reasons. The only European country with a higher rate of unfriendly people per capita that I've personally experienced is Austria.

But...that doesn't keep me from visiting, or from appreciating the good things about French culture. I do wonder, though, why so many French people are SO unfriendly, compared to other European countries.

Now, don't start hitting me up with stories of friendly French people. I've had my own experiences with friendly French people and I'm not saying that they don't exist. But come on - it's a running JOKE that rudeness and pretentious behavior are common traits in them thar parts, and that generalization is based on some truth, just as their generalizations about Americans are based on some truth.

Kathryn

I know they have good qualities - cool architecture, lovely villages and sweeping fields of lavender, good wines and delightful cheeses - but let's not forget that we ARE talking about people who eat pommes frittes with mayonnaise.

I mean, some practices simply cannot be defended.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I know they have good qualities - cool architecture, lovely villages and sweeping fields of lavender, good wines and delightful cheeses - but let's not forget that we ARE talking about people who eat pommes frittes with mayonnaise.
I mean, some practices simply cannot be defended.
Do you know that the French invented the toothbrush?
If Americans had invented it, it would be called the "teethbrush".

Flankerl

The only European country with a higher rate of unfriendly people per capita that I've personally experienced is Austria.

haha someone visited Wien :D
Though germans and south germans(austrians) usually arent unfriendly. Same goes for the french.

Its just a different culture.
There are various forums for expats who live in germany or austria where this is explained in detail. ;)

Panda

42?
Premium Member
Ahhh, France - where Roman Catholicism is state-subsidized, burkas are banned, and Peugots are considered good looking cars...

All good natured ribbing aside...

France has the world's fourth largest military budget, and the world's third largest nuclear cache.

As an American who has visited France several times (and going back again in two months!) my impression is this - it's a beautiful, beautiful country full of mostly nice people, but with a higher than average number of people who are MARKEDLY unfriendly, for whatever reasons. The only European country with a higher rate of unfriendly people per capita that I've personally experienced is Austria.

But...that doesn't keep me from visiting, or from appreciating the good things about French culture. I do wonder, though, why so many French people are SO unfriendly, compared to other European countries.

Now, don't start hitting me up with stories of friendly French people. I've had my own experiences with friendly French people and I'm not saying that they don't exist. But come on - it's a running JOKE that rudeness and pretentious behavior are common traits in them thar parts, and that generalization is based on some truth, just as their generalizations about Americans are based on some truth.

I love France, go on holiday there every year and I disagree about the unfriendliness thing. Making an effort to speak French helps a lot. I've seen the same French person pretend not to understand English when asked something in it and then when myself or someone else asks in what can barely pass as being called French they reply in perfect English. Also making them understand you are not English helps a lot :p

Kathryn

haha someone visited Wien :D
Though germans and south germans(austrians) usually arent unfriendly. Same goes for the french.

Its just a different culture.
There are various forums for expats who live in germany or austria where this is explained in detail. ;)

Well, I lived in Bavaria for three years and absolutely loved it - I found the German people to be a bit brusque but not rude or unfriendly at all - but then, Bavarians are considered the friendliest Germans.

And you're right about Vienna - the most unfriendly city in the WORLD, in my opinion. Salzburg is much nicer.

The Czech and Polish people were the friendliest Europeans in my opinion. I really liked visiting those countries.

Can't wait till June - we're going back to Belgium, France, Germany and Austria!!!

Kathryn

I love France, go on holiday there every year and I disagree about the unfriendliness thing. Making an effort to speak French helps a lot. I've seen the same French person pretend not to understand English when asked something in it and then when myself or someone else asks in what can barely pass as being called French they reply in perfect English. Also making them understand you are not English helps a lot :p

Well, everyone has different experiences. If the French weren't ruder than average, there wouldn't be so many jokes about their rudeness! Just as there's truth to most stereotypes about Americans, there's some truth to the stereotype of rude French people.

Of course there are exceptions - and if I really thought the French were awful, I wouldn't be vacationing in France later this year and throwing horrid American tourist dollars at them.

My guess is that they'll put up with us and we'll put up with them and everyone will win in the end!

Lavender

Thought Steve Sailor had an interesting observation about France in the conflict in Libya.

Libya: What might have been
Steve Sailer's iSteve Blog: Libya: What might have been

From the article:

This was France's war, and if the US and EU had stayed out of it, France would have repeated the Toyota war tactics which so effectively crushed Gadfly in Chad: Mirage air cover coupled with Foreign Legion dressed up as nomads on Toyota pickups with AA guns and Milan anti-tank weapons. This would have been over by now, except Sark would have claimed victory and made Uncle Sucker look stupid.

Wombat

Hey look!...We Austriaaliens have a self deprecating and laconic sense of humour... and we can take a lot of flack from our American cousins...but "a higher rate of unfriendly people per capita " than the French!!!???

Strewth! We save your bacon in two world wars and that's the thanks we get!

And "The only European country with a higher rate..." Mon Due and don't you come the raw prawn!.......We arn't even >in< Europe! :facepalm:

I'm :kangaroo:Austriaalien :kangaroo:and proud of it! And we're as friendly as anything if you don't steal our sheep.

Seems like you've just worked out that Texas would fit five times over in one of our small back paddocks and got all "MARKEDLY unfriendly"!

Ahhhhhhhhhh.....Americans!......Most of em don't know a thing about global geography and other cultures.....worse than the French in that regard.:p

;)

lunakilo

Hey look!...We Austriaaliens have a self deprecating and laconic sense of humour... and we can take a lot of flack from our American cousins...but "a higher rate of unfriendly people per capita " than the French!!!???

Strewth! We save your bacon in two world wars and that's the thanks we get!

And "The only European country with a higher rate..." Mon Due and don't you come the raw prawn!.......We arn't even >in< Europe! :facepalm:
Maybe not, but last I looked at a map Austria was located in Europe.