• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Four States Do Not Allow Divorce During Pregnancy. No Exception for Domestic Violence.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
We know they can get divorced, but there is no reason to wait for a pregnancy to finish. That is where the issue lays.
Many states (mentioned in the Newsweek article I linked to and quoted) will not finalize a divorce while the woman is pregnant. And they are from all over the country, I might add. Many other states have no mandate but the judges simply will not hear a case while a woman is pregnant. Once again, I am going to ask this question - and once again, crickets I am sure. Has anyone ever known anyone anywhere who got a divorce quickly if kids were involved?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
You know what else is absurd? Revisiting custody agreements after a divorce. It's also costly to both parents.
If that is the issue then the parents can freely choose to wait to finalize the divorce. They don't need a law forcing them to do so.
No one has YET come up with any sort of statement about who they know who has gotten a divorce quickly with kids involved.
Perhaps because the question is utterly irrelevant. I don't know how many times I need to say it, but issues of paternity, custody, visitation, child support are exactly the same regardless of whether the parents are divorced, separated, or were never married.

Your question is irrelevant.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
If that is the issue then the parents can freely choose to wait to finalize the divorce. They don't need a law forcing them to do so.

Perhaps because the question is utterly irrelevant. I don't know how many times I need to say it, but issues of paternity, custody, visitation, child support are exactly the same regardless of whether the parents are divorced, separated, or were never married.

Your question is irrelevant.
It may be to you but it is not irrelevant to this conversation, which is about married couples filing for divorce.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Many states will not finalize a divorce while the woman is pregnant.
Are you sure? The article in the OP claimed these were the only four that do that.
Doesn't matter to me, I am Canadian, so to me you all are a bunch of ignorant backwards southerners no matter what state you are from.

Yes, even Alaska, but you wouldn't understand the interspacial quantum geography because you are all ignorant backwards southerners.

(I hope I really don't need to explain that this is a joke.)

Clizby Wampuscat

Add this to the list of Red State oppression of women. I hope they get their backsides handed to them this election cycle.

Texas does have a domestic violence exception. And you can file for divorce it just cannot be finalized. Just getting the facts straight.

There is thi s as well:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Texas does have a domestic violence exception. And you can file for divorce it just cannot be finalized. Just getting the facts straight.

There is thi s as well:

Filing is not the same as getting. But getting one is a different matter. I did not see anything about a "domestic violence exception". I could have missed it. But from your second source:

' "In Texas, they just don't want to complete a divorce case without rules regarding child support, possession and access, conservatorship and then have to come back and re-litigate those things in a few months," Hayes said. She explained there's no hard rule as to why these decisions can't be made before a child is born, but the courts may want to wait to see if there are any special circumstances they need to account for like premature birth or health conditions that require more or less financial assistance.'

If judges will not complete a divorce while a woman is pregnant that is the same as if it were not legal to get divorced while pregnant.

And domestic violence goes both ways. Men can be the victims of domestic violence too. Let's say that we have a young Clizby. And he gets married to an abusive woman. Clizby starts a divorce but she knows how she can mess him up for a long time. She gets pregnant from another man and the judge will not grant a divorce while she is pregnant. In most states, married men are responsible for the children that occur while married. Now young Clizby has a lifetime debt place upon him by a cheating spouse.

Clizby Wampuscat

Filing is not the same as getting. But getting one is a different matter. I did not see anything about a "domestic violence exception". I could have missed it.
In the first link it says:

A domestic violence exception permits bypassing the waiting periods required for a divorce while pregnant in Texas. In these situations, courts may issue a protective order forcing your spouse to move out and not contact you or any other children. If you are a victim of domestic violence while pregnant, contact a family law attorney today to protect you and your unborn child.

But from your second source:

' "In Texas, they just don't want to complete a divorce case without rules regarding child support, possession and access, conservatorship and then have to come back and re-litigate those things in a few months," Hayes said. She explained there's no hard rule as to why these decisions can't be made before a child is born, but the courts may want to wait to see if there are any special circumstances they need to account for like premature birth or health conditions that require more or less financial assistance.'

If judges will not complete a divorce while a woman is pregnant that is the same as if it were not legal to get divorced while pregnant.
I agree.
And domestic violence goes both ways. Men can be the victims of domestic violence too. Let's say that we have a young Clizby. And he gets married to an abusive woman. Clizby starts a divorce but she knows how she can mess him up for a long time. She gets pregnant from another man and the judge will not grant a divorce while she is pregnant. In most states, married men are responsible for the children that occur while married. Now young Clizby has a lifetime debt place upon him by a cheating spouse.
It says judges may wait to give a divorce to give a paternity test to solve these issues.