• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Four States Do Not Allow Divorce During Pregnancy. No Exception for Domestic Violence.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Like I have asked over and over again, has anyone personally known anyone with kids to get a divorce quickly?
Again, and with full understanding that you don't care, but you ask the question, so I must reply "What difference does it make?".

If it is a long drawn out complicated progress, why should it be delayed even longer if one party has a bun in the oven?

Just pointing out the injustice in the law, not blaming you personally for it.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Again, and with full understanding that you don't care, but you ask the question, so I must reply "What difference does it make?".

If it is a long drawn out complicated progress, why should it be delayed even longer if one party has a bun in the oven?
Why not? According to the link provided, it has to do with custody and child support questions. I don't really know.

Kathryn

Why not? According to the link provided, it has to do with custody and child support questions. I don't really know.
What I do know is that everyone keeps throwing around DNA testing like it's available to everyone immediately, but that's not really the case. Two of the three most common types of DNA testing involve risks and costs that the mother might not go for, and the third involves costs that they mother might not go for. And most amniocenteses are done before 20 weeks.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Then the explanation given in the link is nonsense.

Again, I realize you don't care. But I still need to point out the inherent injustice in the law. Not blaming you personally.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
What I do know is that everyone keeps throwing around DNA testing like it's available to everyone immediately, but that's not really the case. Two of the three most common types of DNA testing involve risks and costs that the mother might not go for, and the third involves costs that they mother might not go for. And most amniocenteses are done before 20 weeks.
Again, not affected by marital status. And not a reason for delaying divorce procedures.

Kathryn

Again, I realize you don't care. But I still need to point out the inherent injustice in the law. Not blaming you personally.
I appreciate that. All I'm saying is what is reported.

Kathryn

I agree that the explanation given is nonsense, I will go even further and say that the link itself is nonsense,, which is why I don't get news from that source. I found this on Newsweek I believe:
Sorry, don't know why it says I'm quoting you. That was me, everyone!

In Texas, if the husband is the father of the child, orders for custody and support must be included in the final decree of divorce. If he's not, paternity must be established after the baby is born. Similarly, California waits to finalize a divorce until a baby is born to establish the child's paternity. The state already has a mandatory six-month waiting period for all divorces which would cover a big part of a pregnancy.

Newsweek

No orders on child custody and child support can legally be taken before the baby is born. Arizona, Arkansas, California and Texas courts will not finalize a divorce until they can address all these issues related to child support, child custody and paternity.

While other states allow for a divorce to be finalized during a pregnancy, local law firms report that most judges won't sign a couple's divorce decree until the child is born to make sure the issues mentioned above are addressed and all documents final.

This is the case in Alabama, Delaware, Hawaii, Indiana, Maine, Mississippi, Nebraska, South Dakota and Wyoming. States like Tennessee have a long waiting time, in general, for no-faults divorces to be finalized.

We Never Know

No Slack
Add this to the list of Red State oppression of women. I hope they get their backsides handed to them this election cycle.

OMG!!!! Can you believe its the same in California? But wait... California isn't a republican state lol.

"While you can file for divorce while pregnant in California, state law says that the divorce cannot be finalized until after your child is born."

"According to California law divorces cannot be finalized while one spouse is pregnant. This is intended to reduce legal complications surrounding the child’s paternity. By preventing pregnant couples from finalizing divorces, the state ensures that the baby will be born to two married parents."

Last edited:

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Sorry, don't know why it says I'm quoting you. That was me, everyone!

In Texas, if the husband is the father of the child, orders for custody and support must be included in the final decree of divorce. If he's not, paternity must be established after the baby is born. Similarly, California waits to finalize a divorce until a baby is born to establish the child's paternity. The state already has a mandatory six-month waiting period for all divorces which would cover a big part of a pregnancy.
And that is an absurd law. The DNA of the baby will be the same regardless of whether or not the Divorce proceedings were started or finalized. Marriage is utterly irrelevant to the situation.

The father has the same responsibility and the same rights regardless of anything else to do with a divorce. If paternity is contested it can be determined at the time of birth, custody, visitations, child support can be determined then. And that is true regardless of whether the parents are divorced, in the middle of divorce proceedings, or never married.

It is irrelevant, and I am going to keep pointing out how irrelevant it is, and therefore how unjust it is to delay divorce proceedings for an irrelevant reason. Again, not blaming you.

☆Dreamwind☆

I have to laugh at all the knee jerk reactions. The woman isn't stuck with the guy..

FACT: pregnant wives CAN file for divorce in Missouri.

FACT: A woman can still leave her spouse, get a judgment for property division and spousal support, child support for any existing children, and custody of any existing born alive children – she just can’t finalize the dissolution of the marriage until the baby is born and custody is finalized as to that child, or she goes to another state to have an abortion.

We know they can get divorced, but there is no reason to wait for a pregnancy to finish. That is where the issue lays.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
See what I mean? Crickets.
No, I gave this.
Yes. But there's a reason I say social work taught me a new way to hate parents and a lot if times the kid needs services because it's the parent doing the damage. But try telling a parent high on the idea the parent knows best they are wrong.
You get to see all sorts of nasties when you work with kids.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
And that is an absurd law. The DNA of the baby will be the same regardless of whether or not the Divorce proceedings were started or finalized. Marriage is utterly irrelevant to the situation.

The father has the same responsibility and the same rights regardless of anything else to do with a divorce. If paternity is contested it can be determined at the time of birth, custody, visitations, child support can be determined then. And that is true regardless of whether the parents are divorced, in the middle of divorce proceedings, or never married.

It is irrelevant, and I am going to keep pointing out how irrelevant it is, and therefore how unjust it is to delay divorce proceedings for an irrelevant reason. Again, not blaming you.
Yeah. There's just nothing magical abiut marriage to prevent bad situations frim escalating. Even married dads still take off, moms still get violent, things can still be terrible. But a DNA test chains the father to the child. If he's going to try to escape his duties marriage just won't stop it.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You can get divorced and test the kids after they are born. This should be obvious.

Kathryn

Well, I do appreciate that you're not blaming me. However, many states, not just these four, wait till after a pregnancy to delay a divorce. Including California, for an example of one state. See the Newsweek article I linked to.

Last edited:

Kathryn

You know what else is absurd? Revisiting custody agreements after a divorce. It's also costly to both parents. You know what - the people involved can separate. They can make all sorts of agreements. I've filed for divorce before in Texas and I wasn't pregnant and it still took nearly a year to get a divorce. Thankfully I was able to separate as soon as I filed for divorce. No one has YET come up with any sort of statement about who they know who has gotten a divorce quickly with kids involved. Oh, we also had no kids.