• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former Afghan interpreter has visa protection denied, says Australians signed his 'death warrant'

Brian2

Veteran Member
'A former interpreter who worked alongside Australian forces in Afghanistan has had his protection visa denied on the grounds he was not employed directly by the government...

...The man, whose identity and location has not been revealed for his own security, says he faces regular death threats from the Taliban as a result of his work with Australia....

...Foreign Minister Marise Payne has defended the handling of the man's case and insists the government is prioritising visa applications based on their merits.

"We are not going to leave behind anyone who is properly eligible and checked to come here," she told RN Breakfast.

"Applications from certified, locally engaged staff are given the highest priority within our humanitarian program but we do still have to ensure … those applicants meet our rigorous health character and national security requirements."'

Source: Former Afghan interpreter says 'death warrant has been signed by the Australians' after protection visa denied

I understand that applicants need to meet health, character and national security requirements, however it looks to me as though this man's visa was denied on the basis of him being a contractor rather than on any of the above grounds.

I say if he is of sound character and meets genuine national security requirements we should let him in and not give him the shaft because he was not employed directly.

Your thoughts?

At least they are consistent considering contractors did not get Covid assistance during lockdown.