• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Forbidden Magic

It seems that there are specific kinds of magic or occult practices that are forbidden in the Tanakh. My question is what are they, what exactly do they refer to, and are there forms that are considered permissible according to the Oral Torah's interpretation or that of any other traditionally accepted Jewish tradition?

Regardi...
"...specific kinds of magic or occult practices that are forbidden in the Tanakh. My question is what are they, what exactly do they refer to, and are there forms that are considered permissible according to the Oral Torah's interpretation..."

As fot the Tanakh, there are no "acceptable" forms of magic. Here are a few forbidden practices...

Not to make a graven image; neither to make it oneself nor to have it made by others (Ex. 20:4)
Not to make any figures for ornament, even if they are not worshipped (Ex. 20:20)
Not to make idols even for others (Ex. 34:17; Lev. 19:4)
Not to use the ornament of any object of idolatrous worship (Deut. 7:25)
Not to make use of an idol or its accessory objects, offerings, or libations (Deut. 7:26)
Not to drink wine of idolaters (Deut. 32:38).
Not to worship an idol in the way in which it is usually worshipped (Ex. 20:5)
Not to bow down to an idol, even if that is not its mode of worship (Ex. 20:5)
Not to prophesy in the name of an idol (Ex. 23:13; Deut. 18:20)
Not to hearken to one who prophesies in the name of an idol (Deut. 13:4)
Not to practice onein (observing times or seasons as favorable or unfavorable, using astrology) (Lev. 19:26) .
Not to practice nachesh (doing things based on signs and portents; using charms and incantations) (Lev. 19:26) .
Not to consult ovoth (ghosts) (Lev. 19:31)
Not to consult yid'onim (wizards) (Lev. 19:31)
Not to practice kisuf (magic using herbs, stones and objects that people use) (Deut. 18:10)
Not to practice kessem (a general term for magical practices) (Deut. 18:10)
Not to practice the art of a chover chaver (casting spells over snakes and scorpions) (Deut. 18:11)
Not to enquire of an ob (a ghost) (Deut. 18:11)
Not to seek the maytim (dead) (Deut. 18:11)
Not to enquire of a yid'oni (wizard) (Deut. 18:11)
Not to remove the entire beard, like the idolaters (Lev. 19:27)
Not to round the corners of the head, as the idolatrous priests do (Lev. 19:27)
Not to cut oneself or make incisions in one's flesh in grief, like the idolaters (Lev. 19:28; Deut. 14:1)
Not to tattoo the body like the idolaters (Lev. 19:28)
Not to make a bald spot for the dead (Deut. 14:1)
Not to plant a tree for worship (Deut. 16:21)
Not to set up a pillar (for worship) (Deut. 16:22)

dauer

However, the Talmud sends a mixed message about astrology. Onein as I have understood it has specifically to do with judging one time favorably, or one time unfavorably. And that type of astrology is forbidden. Learning about oneself through astrology is not. There are also ways to get around the power of the stars, like through the power of prayer or by changing one's name. Your name is linked to your mazal, so changing it can supposedly change your destiny.

The urim and tumim were supposedly used for divination.

And then there's also practical kabbalah which is really magical as opposed to mystical practices: making amulets and charms, etc. That's what the title Baal Shem Tov refers to.

The book Sacred Magic of Abramelin the Mage
is probably a good approved book of Jewish magic, as well as Agrippa's three books of occult philosophy.

Thank you both for the input. Regarding Agrippa, he was a Christian scholar. I don't think many would consider his works Jewish. As Dauer pointed out, there's a difference between Jewish Kabbalah and Hermetic Kabbalah (which is usually even spelled differently). Concerning the other book, I have not heard of it either, but thanks for the link. Wikipedia is a very helpful site. Also, while we're on the topic of Kabbalah, can anyone tell me why some Jewish kabbalists seem to believe that increased public understanding of Kabbalah will hasten the coming of Messiah?

dauer

I don't know the reason why, but I would guess it might have to do with more people dedicating themselves to tikkun olam.

Nehustan

dauer said:
I'd never heard of the Abramelin book. I looked it up and this is what I found:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abramelin

It looks more hermetic than Jewish. Agrippa also looks to be hermetic, and not Jewish. From a bio on him "Agrippa's thought unites the streams of classical Neoplatonic and Hermetic philosophy, Jewish Kabbalah and Christianity."

http://www.renaissanceastrology.com/agrippa.html

http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/The_Sacred_Magic_of_Abramelin_The_Mage_Book_1.pdf

http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/The_Sacred_Magic_of_Abramelin_The_Mage_Book_2.pdf

http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/The_Sacred_Magic_of_Abramelin_the_Mage_Book_3.pdf

saves you looking around.