• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For What Are You Thankful?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Here in the States, today is Thanksgiving, a celebration of harvest that was first celebrated by the Pilgrims in a feast with a Native American tribe (Wampanoags) who provided food the winter before when food was scarce.

Happy Thanksgiving to those of you who celebrate the holiday.

On this day, it's traditional in some families or organizations to reflect on what one is thankful for...things that in day-to-day life one takes for granted.

For what are you thankful?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Sitting in the second least favorite chair the other day, when Mr. Dentist was explaining all the options, I said, "I'm just glad I have teeth. Do what you think is best." Within about 50 specific contexts a day or so, gratitude arises.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Here in the States, today is Thanksgiving, a celebration of harvest that was first celebrated by the Pilgrims in a feast with a Native American tribe (Wampanoags) who provided food the winter before when food was scarce.

On this day, it's traditional in some families or organizations to reflect on what one is thankful for...things that in day-to-day life one takes for granted.

I guess I could come up with a lot of things I'm thankful for. But sometimes it's the simple things we might take for granted.

For example, the cup of coffee I'm drinking now...I'm thankful for all the workers who made that possible, from the workers who grew the coffee beans to the truckers/shippers who brought it to market to the workers who packaged it to the warehouse workers/longshoremen to the grocery store workers who stocked it and made it available for me to purchase. Then there's the workers at the Mr. Coffee factory who built my coffee maker, along with the workers at the power plant providing the electricity to use it. I'm thankful to all of them. All the workers of the world.

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
I guess I could come up with a lot of things I'm thankful for. But sometimes it's the simple things we might take for granted.

For example, the cup of coffee I'm drinking now...I'm thankful for all the workers who made that possible, from the workers who grew the coffee beans to the truckers/shippers who brought it to market to the workers who packaged it to the warehouse workers/longshoremen to the grocery store workers who stocked it and made it available for me to purchase. Then there's the workers at the Mr. Coffee factory who built my coffee maker, along with the workers at the power plant providing the electricity to use it. I'm thankful to all of them. All the workers of the world.
If I remember right, "annadata sukhi bhava" is a mantra chanted before eating, meaning "To those who are providing me with food, let them be happy". Seems fitting.

mangalavara

हर हर महादेव
Premium Member
Im not American but i can be thankful too.

Everything is part of mangalavara’s America. That makes you, your family, your cats, and your powerful cats American. As Americans, we are thankfully thankful and thankful to be thankful. It is the thankful land of thanksgiving.

I’m mangalavara, and I’m a thankful American.

mangalavara

हर हर महादेव
Premium Member
Sleep. Nothing like a good night's sleep.

A good night’s sleep is indeed something to be thankful for. You deserve a good night’s sleep every night, my friend.

If I remember right, "annadata sukhi bhava" is a mantra chanted before eating, meaning "To those who are providing me with food, let them be happy". Seems fitting.

That sounds like that is the meaning.

For about a year now, I have been chanting a couple of ślokas before dinner that are addressed to Annapurna. The mantra that you mention is short and perfect.

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
A good night’s sleep is indeed something to be thankful for. You deserve a good night’s sleep every night, my friend.
Thank you. :)
That sounds like that is the meaning.

For about a year now, I have been chanting a couple of ślokas before dinner that are addressed to Annapurna. The mantra that you mention is short and perfect.
I like that one for that reason. It was something I could easily remember(my memory is poor).

Now I just have to remember to chant it...

Little Dragon

I am thankful for family and friends most of all. However I am thankful for a roof over my head, food in the pantry, good health and not having to live with fear and terror and uncertainty and hunger and loss, as so many across the world have to suffer for daily, and which to me seems mighty unfair and unnecessary.

Happy thanksgiving to all my American and Canadian cousins. Have a great day.