• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For theists: what do you perceive during a "vision of god"?

Chevalier Violet

Hi everyone,

doppelganger wanted to know what have one perceives during a vision of god.

So for instance, what do(es) god(s) look like?
what does it sound like? Is there a voice?
do you feel a presence?
A touch?

Please be as specific as possible. Also, please state the belief type you feel describes you best (Christianity, pantheism, monotheism, polytheism etc.)

Thanks!

Love,
CV

Chevalier Violet

Darn; I guess I can't reply. I'm not a theist.

You could reply but then I'd have to ban you from the forum. :)

I find it is easier to get replies if they are directed at somebody. But deep down I don't want this post to be exclusive. I'd love it if you would take a crack at this one. It is beyond me...

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm a christian...

I've felt presences, the most wonderful experience I've ever had is literally feeling God's love inside me :D

And once I've experienced an auditory phenomenon...

Chevalier Violet

Although I missed the source post, I thought that, too. I rather suspect that he wants to know what YOU (CV) percevied as "God".

That much I got from his question. I just honestly don't have anything interesting to say. I may chime in when I hear how the other theists word things.

CV

Chevalier Violet

In your description you used the word "God" to describe God --that doesn't really say much. :)

That was my plan. I left the word "god" intentionally vague so that people can insert their own boxes, labels, standards, beliefs, notions & understandings.

Well, take this response for instance:

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/1217289-post22.html

Is it just me or am I caught between a rock and a hard place? All that ambiguity and I'm apparently still boxing people up and shipping them. That's why I'm a little wary of all that personal example stuff.

If you have any solutions for this problem, that would be much appreciated.

The other thing is, I feel that I've gained a control over my visions of god that I am able to understand divinity in a lot of ways: monotheistic, polytheistic, greco-roman, Christian, Muslim, pantheistic, and panentheistic. The question, quite frankly, doesn't have a lot of meaning for me. I used to only be able to see in terms of a Christian or pantheistic god. Since then, I have taken a more utilitarian view, and begun to treat visions of god not as a perception but as a tool. I have expanded my perception, at least of "god", to the limits that I'm aware of.

I appreciate your link about the Numinous void. I believe I've read this before, but I will read it again. Always a pleasure to hear what you think.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
That was my plan. I left the word "god" intentionally vague so that people can insert their own boxes, labels, standards, beliefs, notions & understandings.
Alright; but in doing so you also avoided answering the question asked of you. :)

Well, take this response for instance:

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/1217289-post22.html

Is it just me or am I caught between a rock and a hard place? All that ambiguity and I'm apparently still boxing people up and shipping them. That's why I'm a little wary of all that personal example stuff.

If you have any solutions for this problem, that would be much appreciated.
I'm not sure I understand your dilemma. Perhaps it would help to distinguish between the image we give to God in our minds and the thing/experience to which we are attaching the label. Violet touches on that we each have our own labels that our minds supply to the experience; doppleganger delves deeper to find out what the thing so labelled means to you so he can attempt to relate to that.

I'm not one for giving advice, though, except in forum etiquette: be sure you understand what was said before you reply (a lesson I learned the hard way).

I appreciate your link about the Numinous void. I believe I've read this before, but I will read it again. Always a pleasure to hear what you think.
Thank you.

Last edited:

Chevalier Violet

Alright; but in doing so you also avoided answering the question asked of you. :)

I feel like you kind of avoided my question as well. The numinous void is a philosophical exercise, but it doesn't tell me much about what you see when you look into the void. Though, I agree that once you gain a certain level of experience in these matters, the question of what you see has less meaning than it did at the beginning.

I see a god that I can understand in a pantheistic, panentheistic, monotheistic, and polytheistic way. How I actually do see god varies from day to day. I'm also very interested in other mystical experiences and meditation and the like. Does that answer your question? I don't know, I'm just trying to tell you how I perceive things.

I'm not sure I understand your dilemma. Perhaps it would help to distinguish between the image we give to God in our minds and the thing/experience to which we are attaching the label. Violet touches on that we each have our own labels that our minds supply to the experience; doppleganger delves deeper to find out what the thing so labelled means to you so he can attempt to relate to that.

I'm not one for giving advice, though, except in forum etiquette: be sure you understand what was said before you reply (a lesson I learned the hard way).
I do my best, it doesn't always work out though. :)

Thank you.
You're welcome :)

CV

xmakina

Although not a personal experience, I know a man who had a vision in church. (Christian, born-again) He describes God as an incredible light upon a throne. He couldn't see any kind of "body", simply a mass of light. He said there was an incredible feeling of love coming from the light. Is that the information you're after? I feel this thread has become a discussion about this thread :/

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I feel like you kind of avoided my question as well. The numinous void is a philosophical exercise, but it doesn't tell me much about what you see when you look into the void. Though, I agree that once you gain a certain level of experience in these matters, the question of what you see has less meaning than it did at the beginning.
The void cannot be "looked into" --in terms of the doorway image, you can only look through the doorway one way, that is, at the world.

I see a god that I can understand in a pantheistic, panentheistic, monotheistic, and polytheistic way. How I actually do see god varies from day to day. I'm also very interested in other mystical experiences and meditation and the like. Does that answer your question? I don't know, I'm just trying to tell you how I perceive things.
It doesn't say what those terms mean to you, and I doubt it would answer dopp's question. But don't worry, there's plenty of time for discussion, if you hang around the forms.

Chevalier Violet

Although not a personal experience, I know a man who had a vision in church. (Christian, born-again) He describes God as an incredible light upon a throne. He couldn't see any kind of "body", simply a mass of light. He said there was an incredible feeling of love coming from the light. Is that the information you're after? I feel this thread has become a discussion about this thread :/

Sure, that helps. Although I suppose that it would be a bit more helpful if it were your experience in case anyone has questions. Still, thanks.

The void cannot be "looked into" --in terms of the doorway image, you can only look through the doorway one way, that is, at the world.

So would you say you've had a vision of god?

I would say my first visions of god were pretty similar to what xmakina described. Balls of light, love, that sort of thing. They're really nice.

It doesn't say what those terms mean to you, and I doubt it would answer dopp's question. But don't worry, there's plenty of time for discussion, if you hang around the forms.

I'm pretty sure I've answered his question at least somewhere on here. Oh well :) There's time.