• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Food Temps

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
My two older boys teamed up and pooled their money to order pizza for lunch.

The pizza arrives. The youngest takes a bite. Too hot. Puts it down, comes back later. The oldest waits a few minutes. Myself and the middle child dig in, burning our mouths a bit, but ignoring it. My husband isn't home, but it doesn't matter. He waits so long to eat that his food is cold and a bit stale by the time he eats it.

When I was a child, my mom used to put ice cubes in my soup so I could eat it right away. Sometimes I hold my youngest's food out the back door to cool it in the chilly air.

How do you eat your food? Dig in, or wait awhile?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

The pizza arrives. The youngest takes a bite. Too hot. Puts it down, comes back later. The oldest waits a few minutes. Myself and the middle child dig in, burning our mouths a bit, but ignoring it. My husband isn't home, but it doesn't matter. He waits so long to eat that his food is cold and a bit stale by the time he eats it.

When I was a child, my mom used to put ice cubes in my soup so I could eat it right away. Sometimes I hold my youngest's food out the back door to cool it in the chilly air.

I or whoever is cooking makes it and plates up all the courses (usually 2, sometimes 3, on rare occasions 5 or 7 courses).
Then serves them as required
We usually dig in, if it's too hot we blow on each fork full. If it's too cold send it back to the microwave. If it just right... Well you've read the fairy story;-)

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I or whoever is cooking makes it and plates up all the courses (usually 2, sometimes 3, on rare occasions 5 or 7 courses).
Then serves them as required
We usually dig in, if it's too hot we blow on each fork full. If it's too cold send it back to the microwave. If it just right... Well you've read the fairy story;-)
Hovv does a course meal at home vvork? Does the second course stay in the kitchen until the first is eaten?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Handy tools when used properly
One good use I've found is throwing popcorn seeds and a brown paper bag and popping the seeds. Other than that I'd probably walk across shards of broken glass for a heating/thawing method before I would touch a microwave. I will throw my hair back, put on a sweat band amd turn into a human tornado as I whirl around the kitchen to avoid using a microwave.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
One good use I've found is throwing popcorn seeds and a brown paper bag and popping the seeds. Other than that I'd probably walk across shards of broken glass for a heating/thawing method before I would touch a microwave. I will throw my hair back, put on a sweat band amd turn into a human tornado as I whirl around the kitchen to avoid using a microwave.

I thought like that but eventually realised just how useful they can be. Not for cooking of course but thawing and reheating certain foods and drinks.

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not huge on the microwave, but reheating rice on the stove just doesn't work.

exchemist

Veteran Member

I've been taught that a good cook will present hot food at a temperature at which it can be eaten without burning. In my experience the problem is most acute with soup. As it is viscous, there is a danger it will not be uniformly heated. It can bubble vigorously in the pan and still not be heated through. By the time you are sure it is properly hot it is usually too hot for eating. I deal with this by eating the soup from the edges of the bowl first, where a layer has been cooled by contact with a cooler surface. You can also get problems with boiled potatoes if they are served too quickly after cooking. A few minutes resting time helps with a lot of things.

Last edited: