• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

flat earth

satyaroop

any flat-earthers here?

or anyone here who thinks there's a possibility the earth might be flat?

is the belief (that the earth is flat) just too ridiculous for you, that you aren't willing to learn why flat-earthers believe that the earth is flat?i.e. it's sounds too crazy to you so you're not going to hear them out?

or have you done research on the opinions and beliefs of flat earthers?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I hope you didn't start this thread in order to lure flat-earthers and to laugh at them....It would be very cruel....

Answering your question...flat-earthers (I think...well...I hope) pretend to believe in that stuff

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
any flat-earthers here?

is the belief (that the earth is flat) just too ridiculous for you, that you aren't willing to learn why flat-earthers believe that the earth is flat?i.e. it's sounds too crazy to you so you're not going to hear them out?

The Flat Earth Society has dedicated itself to starting science afresh from the ground up, to begin to see the world without bias and assumption. Experiment and experience has shown that the earth is decidedly flat. Time and time again through test, trial, and experiment, it has been shown that the earth is not a whirling globe of popular credulity, but an extended plane of times immaterial.

Much of the experimental evidence for a Flat Earth is provided by Dr. Samuel Birley Rowbotham, a 19th century lecturer who traveled the isles of Britian giving lectures at many prominent universities of the day. His experimental evidence is very easily reproducible and requires only access to a long body of standing water and a little trig to conclude that water is not convex, that the surface of the earth does not curve as Round Earth doctrine mathematically predicts. Other experiments require only a stick and a plumb line. Each of the experiments are described in full in the Flat Earth Literature.

Throughout the years it has become a duty of each Flat Earth Society member, to meet the common Round Earther in the open, avowed, and unyielding rebellion; to declare that his reign of error and confusion is over; and that henceforth, like a falling dynasty, he must shrink and disappear, leaving the throne and the kingdom of science and philosophy to those awakening intellects whose numbers are constantly increasing, and whose march is rapid and irresistible. The soldiers of truth and reason of the Flat Earth Society have drawn the sword, and ere another generation has been educated and grown to maturity, will have forced the usurpers to abdicate. Like the decayed and crumbling trees of an ancient forest, rent and shattered by wind and storm, the hypothetical philosophies, which have hitherto cumbered the civilized world, are unable to resist the elements of experimental and logical criticism; and sooner or later must succumb to their assaults. The axe is uplifted for a final stroke - it is about to fall upon the primitive sphere of the earth, and the blow will surely “cut the cumberer down!”

The Flat Earth Society Wiki | HomePage

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
...have you done research on the opinions and beliefs of flat earthers?

The last time I paid any sustained attention to them was when we studied flat earth ideas and reasoning in one of my logic courses at university. That was 40 years ago and I no longer recall now the specific reasons I came away thinking flat earthers
were harmless but illogical and quite boring kooks.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
any flat-earthers here?

I've looked into it, heard them out, and reaffirmed my original impression that the idea was absolutely ridiculous.

Jeremiah Ames

any flat-earthers here?

The part of the earth I see is pretty flat, unless I’m on a hill.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
any flat-earthers here?

It might be entertaining to here some of the arguments, but I am betting that all there will be are PRATT's.

There is not that much difference between a belief in a Flat Earth and Young Earth Creationists. But I guess that even YEC's have at least a small degree of shame.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
All a flat Earth believer has to do is take a plane trip around the world one time in a straight line. Mystery solved.

WalterTrull

Godfella
All a flat Earth believer has to do is take a plane trip around the world one time in a straight line. Mystery solved.
You obviously don't understand the function of the imaginary date line. It marks the edge of the earth. When you cross it you are instantly transported to the other edge to continue your journey. Uhmm. Don't go north or south. You'll either freeze to death or begin the "round" hallucination. This has been well documented.

Axe Elf

Prophet
"He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth" --Isaiah 40:22a (NIV)

A circle, as we all know, is a flat, two-dimensional figure. So if the Bible says that the Earth is flat, it must be so...

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
"He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth" --Isaiah 40:22a (NIV)

A circle, as we all know, is a flat, two-dimensional figure. So if the Bible says that the Earth is flat, it must be so...

And that verse is worse if one goes to the original Hebrew for those that try to claim that verse says "the Earth is round". The word used is that for an inscribed circle, as with a compass. The last time I checked it is pretty hard to inscribe a sphere.

A Vestigial Mote

So many things fly in the face of the idea that the Earth is flat. Accepting the Earth is flat, there are simply no good answer to these questions:

1. How do we end up with time zones? Why can I call someone in India experiencing night, when it is day in the U.S.?
2. Why do many other established, orbiting bodies in our solar-system and beyond appear circular with a face that portrays a spinning motion?
3. How do you explain that every other large-scale universal body verifiably draws other bodies toward it (via gravity) from all directions, and yet in a flat Earth model, you have to assert that gravity works in one direction for the whole mass of the Earth?
4. What is the depth of a flat Earth, and what lies beneath that depth? Are earthworms constantly at risk of floating off into space?
5. In a flat Earth model, the atmosphere would have edges to it. What keeps it from being sucked into the vacuum of space that would be directly adjacent to portions of this atmosphere that would have no form of "protection" from such?

It's just a terrible fit for the phenomena we experience with regard to the Earth. I am not quite sure how anyone sustains the idea.

Axe Elf

Prophet
And that verse is worse if one goes to the original Hebrew for those that try to claim that verse says "the Earth is round". The word used is that for an inscribed circle, as with a compass. The last time I checked it is pretty hard to inscribe a sphere.

Hey! We agree on something for once! Hifive...