• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flat Earth in the Holy Bible!

Gerald Kelleher

Sorry, mate but that reads like paranoid gibberish.

Hello sailor, coming from a guy who won't believe the Earth's turns at a rate of 15 degrees per hour and once in 24 hours that comment means absolutely nothing.A new atheist/ empiricist may not be a flat Earther but they come as close as humanly possible because of this -

Period of Rotation of the Earth

The Muslim cleric who doesn't believe the Earth turns has very good company but unfortunately you don't feel embarrassed with your own problems with a basic fact. Doesn't say much about the Christians either and that's the real problem.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Hi,

Does the bible mention that earth is flat? please provide the verse if it was mentioned.

By the way, i hope you won't go on the defense. I know many people mock Christianity for believing that earth is flat but i'm asking this because i'm really considering it might actually be correct.

So, i hope you will answer me based on the bible, not what you personally believe in.

Thank you.

It says it is a scribed circle - chug - thus a flat circle pancake shape, not a sphere.

Isa 40:22 It is he that sitteth upon the circle (chug) of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

Job 22:14 Clouds are a covering for Him, and He does not see; and He walks the circuit (chug) of the heavens.

Pro 8:27 When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a compass (chug) upon the face of the depth:

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
It says it is a scribed circle - chug - thus a flat circle pancake shape, not a sphere.

Isa 40:22 It is he that sitteth upon the circle (chug) of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

Job 22:14 Clouds are a covering for Him, and He does not see; and He walks the circuit (chug) of the heavens.

Pro 8:27 When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a compass (chug) upon the face of the depth:

And of course 'dur' appears in the bible in Isaiah, which does refer to a sphere - but is never used to describe the earth.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Thank you. I guess something like this?

Flat_earth.png

The Flat Earth Society

Gerald Kelleher

Are you not overlooking, day, night and the seasons?

It is one of the saddest if not the most pathetic instances in history where Western civilization, such as it is, chooses to ignore that the daylight/darkness cycle is caused by a single rotation within each 24 hours and they always keep in step.

In classrooms and colleges they state an absurdity and repeated here in the main Earth article in Wikipedia -

"During one orbit around the Sun, Earth rotates about its own axis 366.26 times"

Earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The only acceptable fact is that the Earth turns 1461 times to the nearest rotation within 4 orbital circuits as this draws attention to February 29th as another 24 hour day and another rotation. By simple division, 1461 rotations during 4 orbital circuits reduces to 365 1/4 rotations per orbit of the Sun. Human timekeeping formats the 1461 rotations in 4 orbital circuits in a convenient format of 365 rotations + 365 rotations + 365 rotations + 366 rotations.

I am closing my account here today with some sadness.

fiat lux

I was joking there, but also I don't follow what you mean. Day, night and the seasons change slowly,Is that related to what you are saying?

Yes, it's round whether you move fast or slow (though I understand what you say - like we use a flat map to get around by) and it's the roundness, spin and wobble that give all the nuances of light, dark and season.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It is one of the saddest if not the most pathetic instances in history where Western civilization, such as it is, chooses to ignore that the daylight/darkness cycle is caused by a single rotation within each 24 hours and they always keep in step.
I cannot tell if you are joking or serious.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Guys, what do you think of the following?

Einstein said:
"The struggle, so violent in the early days of science, between the views of Ptolemy and Copernicus would then be quite meaningless. Either coordinate system could be used with equal justification. The two sentences, 'the sun is at rest and the earth moves,' or 'the sun moves and the earth is at rest,' would simply mean two different conventions concerning two different coordinate systems."
FIELD, RELATIVITY 223 achievement lies in transferring the c.s. from the earth to the sun. But as motion is relative and any frame of reference can be used, there seems to be no reason for favouring one c.s. rather than the other.

Full text of "The Evolution Of Physics"

Does that mean it is possible earth is at rest and sun is the one moving? i know this is not widely accepted but is it possible at least?

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Does that mean it is possible earth is at rest and sun is the one moving? i know this is not widely accepted but is it possible at least?
Mathematically anything can be considered stationary with everything else moving relative to itself, however larger objects have a lot of gravity and strongly affect motion of smaller objects. That high gravity greatly affects the smaller objects nearby, so 'Scientifically' it makes sense to say that Sun's gravity controls the Earth's motion.

If you ride on a horse, the horse directs where you are both going physically while you direct the horse mentally. The horse has more energy and mass and has the strength to do whatever it wants. That is physics, so you would say you are stationary relative to the horse and you both move relative to the Earth. However the horse probably thinks that you are in control. So...if the horse made a mathematical model it would model everything around you, because it thinks you are in control. Therefore the horse thinks it is stationary relative to you and maybe also that the world moves around you both.

I am fond of saying that the Earth rolls beneath my feet, which is not scientifically true but could be true in a mathematical context. After all when I move my feet the world turns.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Mathematically anything can be considered stationary with everything else moving relative to itself, however larger objects have a lot of gravity and strongly affect motion of smaller objects. That high gravity greatly affects the smaller objects nearby, so 'Scientifically' it makes sense to say that Sun's gravity controls the Earth's motion.

If you ride on a horse, the horse directs where you are both going physically while you direct the horse mentally. The horse has more energy and mass and has the strength to do whatever it wants. That is physics, so you would say you are stationary relative to the horse and you both move relative to the Earth. However the horse probably thinks that you are in control. So...if the horse made a mathematical model it would model everything around you, because it thinks you are in control. Therefore the horse thinks it is stationary relative to you and maybe also that the world moves around you both.

I am fond of saying that the Earth rolls beneath my feet, which is not scientifically true but could be true in a mathematical context.
What is this mathematical context?

After all when I move my feet the world turns.
Does it stop turning when you stop moving your feet? If not, then one could just as well say, " when I eat pancakes the world turns."

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What is this mathematical context?
Maybe a better term is 'Coordinate system'. You can put the origin of your coordinate system anywhere you like. If you make Earth your origin it becomes complicated to describe the motion of, say, Venus but it can be done. Its much simpler to describe the orbit of Venus relative to the Sun, because the Sun is the strongest source of gravity nearby.

Does it stop turning when you stop moving your feet? If not, then one could just as well say, " when I eat pancakes the world turns."
No. Pancakes are irrelevant. Besides, the world does turn under my feet when I use myself as the origin of my coordinate system.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Maybe a better term is 'Coordinate system'. You can put the origin of your coordinate system anywhere you like.
Okay, but you still haven't answered my question, "Does it stop turning when you stop moving your feet?" and you have to deal with this . . . . .

. . . the world does turn under my feet when I use myself as the origin of my coordinate system.
So in what specific direction would the world be turning to accommodate the various directions these folk are walking?

adam2.jpg

Jumi

The sun is not at rest. The sun is also orbiting the center of the milky way.

sun-milky-way-location-Caltech.jpg

Around our galaxy, smaller galaxies are orbiting

640px-Satellite_Galaxies.svg.png

Our galaxy also moving, we are on a collision course with Andromeda and billions of years in the future what might happen is:

Milky Way and Andromeda Galaxies Collision Simulated | Video

I doubt any human will be alive to see this slow collision take place.

We are all moving in space at wild speeds living on this speck of dust.