• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finding my way through eastern religion.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I suppose I'll be a seeker for the rest of my life. However, I no longer feel lost. Eastern religion is the path I'm going to take.

Have a lot of reading/rereading to do, but I feel comfortable saying I identify with dharmic/eastern religion.

It provides a framework in which I can seek. Eastern/dharmic religion is an umbrella term.
From it, I can draw upon thousands of years of human knowledge.
For sure I'm a Taoist and a Ruist (follower of Confucianism). Which dharmic religion I will eventually identify with I am not sure. Simply have more learning and practice to do.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
It provides a framework in which I can seek. Eastern/dharmic religion is an umbrella term.

Very nice. When it comes to one Dharmic religion in particular, namely, Hinduism, it is said that Hindus are seekers rather than believers. I suspect that adherents of other Dharmic religions are also seekers rather than believers. I think you have found a good framework in which you can seek, be it a generic Dharmic paradigm or even a particular Dharmic religion.

There is an ocean of knowledge in the Dharmic paradigm. We use the imagery of oceans a lot.

For sure I'm a Taoist and a Ruist (follower of Confucianism). Which dharmic religion I will eventually identify with I am not sure.

I take it that you are aware that in Asian cultures, the 'borders' around religions can be fuzzy. As to which Dharmic religion you will soon or later identify with, feel free to try them all out.

Simply have more learning and practice to do.

Practice will teach you much about where you belong in the Dharmic paradigm.

Namaste.

Truth in love

I suppose I'll be a seeker for the rest of my life. However, I no longer feel lost. Eastern religion is the path I'm going to take.

Have a lot of reading/rereading to do, but I feel comfortable saying I identify with dharmic/eastern religion.

For sure I'm a Taoist and a Ruist (follower of Confucianism). Which dharmic religion I will eventually identify with I am not sure. Simply have more learning and practice to do.
Glade you are finding things that help. If Confusism ever really makes sense to you please share. I’ve tried to understand it and have never been able to pull it off.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
When I explored Eastern spirituality, I was attracted to luminous beings such as Ramana Maharshi, Ramakrishna Paramhamsa, Kabir, Sri Aurobindo&The Mother and many others including more recent figures such as Papaji and Nisargadatta Maharaj who lived recently enough to have YouTube videos. And that does not count Buddhist figures from Tibetan to Japanese Zen.

Hindus are seekers rather than believers
And a very few such as those I mentioned went from seekers to "finders".

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Why does it have to be just one? Why not pick & choose items that may be helpful from each, including possibly some other religions and/or philosophies?

pearl

Why does it have to be just one? Why not pick & choose items that may be helpful from each, including possibly some other religions and/or philosophies?

Good point. Many Catholics follow the Eastern form of meditation.

pearl

As do I. Matter of fact, my wife often yells "Stop meditating and get to work!!!".

All kidding aside, while a catechist I used this prayer form for Jr high - Confirmation students, was amazed at how successful it was.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
All kidding aside, while a catechist I used this prayer form for Jr high - Confirmation students, was amazed at how successful it was.
And this is what I use with most of what's said during mass, as I take the generally teachings from the scriptures and homily on that day and meditate on its possible applications.

pearl

And this is what I use with most of what's said during mass, as I take the generally teachings from the scriptures and homily on that day and meditate on its possible applications.

Similar to Lectio Divina meditation. I used the Eastern form of quieting the body and mind, bringing them to presence. I remember a pesky nun who always gave me a hard time.