• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finding Changes the Way We Think About Human Evolution

We Never Know

No Slack
Wasn't sure where to post this so it landed here.

"In the past, scientists believed that hominin evolution was largely driven by changes in climate. But now, research from the University of Cambridge has suggested that competition was, in fact, fundamental to hominin evolution.

We have been ignoring the way competition between species has shaped our own evolutionary tree," said lead author Dr. Laura van Holstein, a University of Cambridge biological anthropologist from Clare College. "The effect of climate on hominin species is only part of the story.

Interspecies competition is common among most other vertebrates: in any new environment there is an explosion of species evolution as each species adapts to fill a particular niche. However, once all the niches are filled, competition kicks in and this explosive evolution flatlines.

The pattern we see across many early hominins is similar to all other mammals," van Holstein said. "Speciation rates increase and then flatline, at which point extinction rates start to increase. This suggests that interspecies competition was a major evolutionary factor.

However, when van Holstein studied the evolution of our own genus, Homo, things started to get much more peculiar.

"The more species of Homo there were, the higher the rate of speciation," she said. "So when those niches got filled, something drove even more species to emerge. This is almost unparalleled in evolutionary science.

In other words, it appears as if competition between different Homo species actually drove the evolution of even more Homo species—a complete reversal of what we would expect to see based on the evolution of most other vertebrates".....

Heyo

Veteran Member
Wasn't sure where to post this so it landed here.

"In the past, scientists believed that hominin evolution was largely driven by changes in climate. But now, research from the University of Cambridge has suggested that competition was, in fact, fundamental to hominin evolution.

We have been ignoring the way competition between species has shaped our own evolutionary tree," said lead author Dr. Laura van Holstein, a University of Cambridge biological anthropologist from Clare College. "The effect of climate on hominin species is only part of the story.

Interspecies competition is common among most other vertebrates: in any new environment there is an explosion of species evolution as each species adapts to fill a particular niche. However, once all the niches are filled, competition kicks in and this explosive evolution flatlines.

The pattern we see across many early hominins is similar to all other mammals," van Holstein said. "Speciation rates increase and then flatline, at which point extinction rates start to increase. This suggests that interspecies competition was a major evolutionary factor.

However, when van Holstein studied the evolution of our own genus, Homo, things started to get much more peculiar.

"The more species of Homo there were, the higher the rate of speciation," she said. "So when those niches got filled, something drove even more species to emerge. This is almost unparalleled in evolutionary science.

In other words, it appears as if competition between different Homo species actually drove the evolution of even more Homo species—a complete reversal of what we would expect to see based on the evolution of most other vertebrates".....

... until it didn't. Humans are the only surviving species of homo, so, in the end, we outcompeted all the other species.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
... until it didn't. Humans are the only surviving species of homo, so, in the end, we outcompeted all the other species.
Reminds me of this Gahan Wilson cartoon.
R.bdf7b39e82f29be5605fe4b83d869e22

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Or not. I've read that homo sapiens were driven to the point of extinction by the Neanderthals. Humans were force to hiding in underground caves. Then some castrophic world event killed off the Neanderthals. We humans only survived because we were cowards.

Last edited:

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
Or not. I've read that homo sapiens were driven to the point of extinction by the Neanderthals. Humans were force to hiding in underground caves. Then some castrophic world event killed off the Neanderthals. We humans only survived because we were cowards.
I've never heard that. What I have always read is that Homo sapiens was able to outcompete Neanderthals and that lead to their extinction.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I've never heard that. What I have always read is that Homo sapiens was able to outcompete Neanderthals and that lead to their extinction.

Most scientists think otherwise. See link I added in my previous post.
From what I understand, we really don't know why Neanderthals went extinct so this is just another theory among many.

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
Most scientists think otherwise. See link I added in my previous post.
From what I understand, we really don't know why Neanderthals went extinct so this is just another theory among many.
I don't think that they do, but you are correct, we don't really know why they went extinct.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I don't think that they do, but you are correct, we don't really know why they went extinct.

Yes, I meant most theories have homo sapiens achieving some kind of dominance over Neanderthals. However Neanderthals kept us out of Europe for 100,000 years. There was definitely conflict between us. Homo sapiens rising up to defeat our adversaries might be the more romantic version.