• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Find joy and laughter in tragedy to keep morale high!

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Some people have issues with me saying "Happy 911". Well, for many Islamic extremists, it was a happy day. But it can be a happy day for us who honor the victims as well. They would rather we were happy today rather than be gloomy, because every soldier knows they are a better soldier when happy and morale is good. When soldiers have low morale, they become much easier to defeat on the battlefield, and more likely to surrender or become deserters.

In a Jewish ghetto in Venice, there were Musicians chanting the Psalms in Hebrew next to the crumbling buildings in the streets. Rabbis reciting the Torah in the vernacular. There were comedians stirring up laughter to keep morale up.

With everybody in close proximity and sharing the same culture, religion, ancestors, and united in poverty and suffering in the same slum, the Hebrew culture itself was flourishing, despite the ghetto situation being an extreme tragic ordeal.

I remember one Jew saying to another, "We should have never been born". Another person said, "Since abortion isn't legal, a tiny percent of people have the luxury of never being born" (paraphrased). My point being, they sometimes took a witty approach that could make each other smile or laugh even in the worse situations.

Laughter and joy is good medicine!

What are your thoughts about finding joy and humor in tragedy to keep morale up?

Mark Twain said (paraphrased) "Humor is the result of sorrow. In a heaven of complete and constant joy, there is no humor".

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Memorial weekend is called "The Cult of the dead", where tombstones are decorated.

It's my favorite holiday and I honor and respect all people who died in tragic or violent ways. I also honor and pray to suicide victims.

Those things are all tragic, but Memorial weekend is a very joyful day for me at the same time.

That doesn't mean I'm glad people suffer and die.

Today is 9/11, but so what? I don't know anybody who died in 9/11 and since it happen 17 years ago I feel absolutely nothing about it. Unless you personally know someone who died in it then trying to act sad about it is just forced patriotism and it feels wrong.

As one of my song writer said. "A stranger is dying somewhere, but that has nothing to do with me. Isn't that sad?"

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Today is 9/11, but so what? I don't know anybody who died in 9/11 and since it happen 17 years ago I feel absolutely nothing about it. Unless you personally know someone who died in it then trying to act sad about it is just forced patriotism and it feels wrong.

As one of my song writer said. "A stranger is dying somewhere, but that has nothing to do with me. Isn't that sad?"
I'm still very inspired about life in the Jewish ghetto, and how they found humor, joy, laughter, Hebrew culture, and spiritual riches, in the worst of situations.

Also, I don't honor the victims of 911 as any type of patriotism. I simply honor those who have died, especially victims of violence and those who died in very tragic ways.

That would include the victims of 911. I will pray to, honor, pay homage, and invoke them today. It is the anniversary of their birth into the spirit realm.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
What are your thoughts about finding joy and humor in tragedy to keep morale up?

When done with great sensitivity for the feelings of others, I agree that it's good. But it's very very easy to be insensitive and hurt other people.

PureX

Veteran Member
I think finding joy and laughter in a tragedy is a sign of insanity. Tragedy is tragic. To pretend otherwise is nuts.

But fortunately for us, real tragedies are rare in most of our lives. So we have plenty of opportunities to seek out joy and laughter apart from the tragedy, and plenty of time to revel in it. And for most of us, there will be far more joy and laughter, then tragedy, even though none of us will skate through life without our share of the latter.

Last edited:

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I think finding joy and laughter in a tragedy is a sign of insanity. Tragedy is tragic. To pretend otherwise of nuts.

But fortunately for us, real tragedies are rare in most of our lives. So we have plenty of opportunities to seek out joy and laughter apart from the tragedy, and plenty of time to revel in it. And for most of us, there will be far more joy and laughter, then tragedy, even though none of us will skate through life without our share of the latter.
I'm not talking about laughing at a funeral.
I'm saying, do what you can do to bring joy to yourself and others during difficult times. It can be vital and helpful if done the right way at the right time.

I guarantee you, if you were really miserable, and you met the right person who could give you a major belly laugh repeatedly, you would feel much better and want to be around that person.

I'm sure there's exceptions to that rule, but as a general rule, laughter is good medicine.