• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Financial Literacy & Education

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I think a subject called Law and Economics should be compulsory in all high schools.
Not only about the economic system, but about the laws, the Bill of Rights...etc...

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Or. Increase spending and teach everything that matters including the option of foreign languages. Which in an increasingly globalised world, could be useful, in business and job opportunities in general. Always useful. To speak a foreign language.

Americans are lucky because they speak the language of the world.
I decided to study 4 European languages because I love them. Motivation is what makes you learn.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Or. Increase spending and teach everything that matters including the option of foreign languages. Which in an increasingly globalised world, could be useful, in business and hob opportunities in general. Always useful. To speak a foreign language.
Resources are limited, & should be prioritized based upon
merit. Some limits....
- Students' time & attention.
- Money for schools.
- Too many foreign languages to learn makes the
selection of a single one is pretty useless.

Very few here need a foreign language, even with globalization.
But there's always the option to learn what's needed later, or use translation devices.

Azrael Antilla

Resources are limited, & should be prioritized based upon
merit.
Hmm. Well. For me. You can't put a price on a thorough education. You see when you speak a foreign language. You learn all kinds of meta data about the culture and it's thought process too. I assure you when you speak German, you think German. Same with other languages.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I just heard on the news that Michiganistan is considering
requiring financial literacy (eg, understanding credit) be required
for high school graduation.
They'd make room by reducing the foreign language requirement.

About darn time, eh.
That's playing with fire, very dangerous.

henry-ford-banking.jpg

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That's playing with fire, very dangerous.

henry-ford-banking.jpg
Quoting famous anti-semites, eh.
Being famous doesn't make quotes true.
Moreover, if people actually did understand
banking & money, they wouldn't have the problems
caused by ignorance & unreasonable expectations.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Quoting famous anti-semites, eh.
Being famous doesn't make quotes true.
Moreover, if people actually did understand
banking & money, they wouldn't have the problems
caused by ignorance & unreasonable expectations.

When I discuss seigniorage banking with economists, they tell me "you are right, but the system cannot be changed".
;)

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I just heard on the news that Michiganistan is considering
requiring financial literacy (eg, understanding credit) be required
for high school graduation.
They'd make room by reducing the foreign language requirement.

About darn time, eh.
I am appalled that there is a limit on the number/amount of things students must learn in order to graduate.

I'm all in favor of financial literacy, as well as small engine repair, basic household maintenance, basic and advanced first aid and many other things...

Like civics...

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Isn't the entire concept of "financial literacy" based on the notion that people's poverty is entirely due to reasons found within the invididual, such as the inability to budget, lack of entrepreneurialism, incorrect mindset required to advance in society etc.?

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
I am appalled that there is a limit on the number/amount of things students must learn in order to graduate.
There are only so many hours in a day, and only so many years you can keep kids locked up in school before you have to send them back out into the Real World™.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Yes. I speak German English and French fluently plus a little Russian. Handy at times. You guys are not expected to speak foreign languages. Not your style. Shall we say?
Congrats for keeping your languages fluid; due to neglect, my French and Spanish have sadly atrophied to the point of uselessness.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
There are only so many hours in a day, and only so many years you can keep kids locked up in school before you have to send them back out into the Real World™.
Yes, quite true...at the same time, students in other nations seem to be able to exceed American students in many fields, and in more of them...

Azrael Antilla

Yes, quite true...at the same time, students in other nations seem to be able to exceed American students in many fields, and in more of them...
I understand that in the US school funding is not centralised. As it is in EU nations. Instead it's collected from catchment areas and those residents within? So poorer areas get the worse results and prospects educationally. Due to underinvestment and lack of financial support. Correct me Americans! If I am mistaken.