• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Filtered Down Theology

Ellejay

Why are the Quran, Bible, Talmud, Vedas and other spiritual tomes filtered through a imam, preacher, priest, rabbi, lama, brahman?
All of the prophets who are the subjects of these books were illiterate as was the majority of the population. Subsequently the contents were recorded and written well after the subjects death. Priests rabbis etc were educated men well before the mass populace so they were entrusted with relaying the works to the world. Thankfully there have been two prophets since who were literate and they wrote Gods words directly themselves and in their religion there are no such thing as a priest etc God has asked that we read for ourselves, interpret ourselves etc. Everything makes perfect sense if people would just educate themselves about the times and situations that existed. Check out the Baha'i faith, it is not popular with priests etc cause of course they all lose their jobs, lol.

Ellejay

Thank you for this question, but the Bible doesn't indicate a personal faith filter other than you. If a priest, for example, claims to know God better than you because they've attended seminary, well, only one's personal Bible knowledge and comprehension are worthy, and the Bible says so, too.
Nice!

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Thank you for this question, but the Bible doesn't indicate a personal faith filter other than you. If a priest, for example, claims to know God better than you because they've attended seminary, well, only one's personal Bible knowledge and comprehension are worthy, and the Bible says so, too.

jesus considered the Pharisees faith filters.

case in point:

Woe unto you, lawyers! for ye have taken away the key of knowledge: ye entered not in yourselves, and them that were entering in ye hindered.

meditation

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
jesus considered the Pharisees faith filters.

case in point:

Woe unto you, lawyers! for ye have taken away the key of knowledge: ye entered not in yourselves, and them that were entering in ye hindered.

meditation

I appreciate what you shared, how you shared it and that you shared scripture. Understand my point was the filters may be discarded, safely. Part of what Jesus did was enlighten Israel that the Pharisees weren't the go-betweens from God to man. Rather, one may go directly to Christ.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
oral is preferable because pythagoras, jesus, buddha, all taught orally.

"Preferable" in what sense? What are you trying to accomplish?

If you have a book, then you have a better first person account by reading it for self vs having a librarian reading and explaining it to self. a good example of this is based on the chan teacher, Lin-Chi, Jesus, and Buddha.
OTOH, if you want to learn a sport, it'll generally be more productive to find yourself a coach than to just study the rulebook. The method depends on the goal.

... so what's the goal?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
"Preferable" in what sense? What are you trying to accomplish?

OTOH, if you want to learn a sport, it'll generally be more productive to find yourself a coach than to just study the rulebook. The method depends on the goal.

... so what's the goal?

oral teaching is always preferable in any subject matter. the teacher can "immediately" correct any known discrepancies as they occur.

our eductational system is built on a teacher/student relationship. using written discourses from one individual vs another can lead to biases. it is better if the person utilized a number of different sources for grasping said subject.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
oral teaching is always preferable in any subject matter. the teacher can "immediately" correct any known discrepancies as they occur.

our eductational system is built on a teacher/student relationship. using written discourses from one individual vs another can lead to biases. it is better if the person utilized a number of different sources for grasping said subject.
Funny how in all that, you completely avoided answering my questions.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Funny how in all that, you completely avoided answering my questions.
note how you believe i avoided the question; when in fact i answered in regards to the way i understood it.

language is imprecise and open to interpretation. more so when left to the imagination of the second person without correction of the 1st person.

anyone teaching the truth of algebra, should all come to the same conclusions. there cannot be any validity in the denominations of algebra, calculus, et al.

there cannot be any validity in the denominations of truth.

Cloud Atlas -
Archivist: On behalf of my Ministry and the future of Unanimity, I want to thank you for the final interview. Remember, this isn't an interrogation or trial. Your version of the truth is all that matters.
Sonmi-451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.