• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Female Manifestations of God

HopefulNikki

Hi, all! If you didn't see my first posts in the New Members area, my name's Nikki. I've been studying Bahai for several months and I'm considering conversion; I was reading the recent post about Manifestations of God, and I got to thinking, why aren't there any Female Manifestations of God? Is this for a similar reason as to why many Christian churches only ordain male ministers, that is, man is the head, etc? Maybe this is a silly secondary question, but if there are no Female Manifestations of God, then who would be considered the "greatest" female in Bahai (or one of the greatest), or the iconic feminine image in Bahai?

Circle_One

Some Christian sects do believe in a female manifestation of God. Her name is Sophia. She is Wisdom, complete. And is considered the female side of God. (Wow.. I feel like I've written about this already once today :D)

HopefulNikki

Circle_One said:
Some Christian sects do believe in a female manifestation of God. Her name is Sophia. She is Wisdom, complete. And is considered the female side of God. (Wow.. I feel like I've written about this already once today :D)
"Sophia" is the Greek word translated "wisdom", but I wasn't aware that some Christians actually personified it into a female being....I wonder if that is the result of "Sophia" having become a girl's name in English, or if the teachings of those Christians prompted the creation of the common English name....hmm....

lunamoth

Will to love
HopefulNikki said:
Hi, all! If you didn't see my first posts in the New Members area, my name's Nikki. I've been studying Bahai for several months and I'm considering conversion; I was reading the recent post about Manifestations of God, and I got to thinking, why aren't there any Female Manifestations of God? Is this for a similar reason as to why many Christian churches only ordain male ministers, that is, man is the head, etc? Maybe this is a silly secondary question, but if there are no Female Manifestations of God, then who would be considered the "greatest" female in Bahai (or one of the greatest), or the iconic feminine image in Bahai?

Hi HopefulNikki, Welcome. I'm sure a Baha'i will show up soon to answer your questions. But, I would pick Tahiri as the iconic feminine image in the Baha'i Faith. She was a poetess and one of the first followers of the Bab. She is well known for removing her veil at the Conference of Badasht, as well as her heroic martyrdom.

cheers,
lunamoth

Booko

Deviled Hen
HopefulNikki said:
Hi, all! If you didn't see my first posts in the New Members area, my name's Nikki. I've been studying Bahai for several months and I'm considering conversion; I was reading the recent post about Manifestations of God, and I got to thinking, why aren't there any Female Manifestations of God?
There's some speculation that the next one will be. :) "Tablet of the Holy Mariner" is one of the works usually pointed to. And I expect there are texts that have not been translated into English yet, because let's face it, prophecies about the next Manifestation are not really a current issue.

Is this for a similar reason as to why many Christian churches only ordain male ministers, that is, man is the head, etc?
No, I think it's just a historical fact that in this age we're coming out of, things were partriarchical. Here's what Abdu'l-Baha has to say on this subject:

"The world in the past has been ruled by force, and man has dominated over women by reason of his more forceful and aggressive qualities both of body and mind. But the balance is already shifting -- force is losing its weight and mental alertness, intuition, and the spiritual qualities of love and service, in which woman is strong, are gaining ascendancy. Hence the new age will be an age, less masculine, and more permeated with the feminine ideals -- or, to speak more exactly, will be an age in which the masculine and feminine elements of civilization will be more evenly balanced."

('Abdu'l-Bahá: "Bahá'u'lláh and the New Era", 1976 U.S. edition, p. 156)

Maybe this is a silly secondary question, but if there are no Female Manifestations of God, then who would be considered the "greatest" female in Bahai (or one of the greatest), or the iconic feminine image in Bahai?
I think there are a number of figures that would do, but as Tahirih was one of the Bab's "Letters of the Living" (like the Twelve, for those of you reading who know more of Christianity), I would pick her as my first choice.

Removing her veil at the Conference of Badasht was an extremely feminist kind of move. :eek:

Booko

Deviled Hen
lunamoth said:
Hi HopefulNikki, Welcome. I'm sure a Baha'i will show up soon to answer your questions. But, I would pick Tahiri as the iconic feminine image in the Baha'i Faith. She was a poetess and one of the first followers of the Bab. She is well known for removing her veil at the Conference of Badasht, as well as her heroic martyrdom.

Haha, you mind reader you! :D

arthra

Baha'i
Yes I agree Tahireh the Pure and Consolation of the Eyes is a good choice... She also divorced her husband which in those days in Persia was clearly in the face of the male dominated society of the time. Tahireh's poetry was widely liked also. They used a scarf to strangle her and throw her down a well so they wouldn't have to "spill" her blood.

See a book about her poetry at:

http://www.bahaibooksonline.com/tahirihaportraitinpoetry.html

Martha Root is one of my favorites... She also wrote a book about Tahireh and lectured all over the world..learned Esperanto and inspired Queen Marie of Romania.

- Art