• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fellow Westerners who use bidets

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
Do any of you who have a Western identity clean yourself with a bidet or some other device that sprays water after you expel solid waste?

My custom is to use what is called a 'bottle bidet.' If I am not going to take a shower soon after I am done with the loo, I even use soap and water.

#comewashwithme

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I guess Italy is the only country where all bathrooms have to be designed with a bidet.
By law, min. Decree 1975

First time I went abroad was in France...
With the school.
No bidet.
And bidet is a French word...LOL...

PS. Bidet is for washing genitals too.

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I was raised not to wear shoes in the house. Shoes in my life are for walking outside the house. I'm an American, by the way.

I often wonder what etiquette dictates when one goes into a house that requests no shoes, but the person came in not wearing any...

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
With the school.
No bidet.

It is really amusing that a school bathroom in France would not have a device known everywhere by its French name. At the same time, the situation must have been awkward for you as an Italian.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
At the same time, the situation must have been awkward for you as an Italian.
Yes, I wanted to commit suicide
:pjust kidding...it is just I was not used to that.

It was an students exchange program. I hosted a French guy too, one month later. In my house.
I guess he did not use the bidet. Since in his house there was none.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
Yes, I wanted to commit suicide
:pjust kidding...it is just I was not used to that.

It was an students exchange program. I hosted a French guy too, one month later. In my house.
I guess he did not use the bidet. Since in his house there was none.

If I'm ever at your house, you can feel assured that I will use the bidet.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I guess Italy is the only country where all bathrooms have to be designed with a bidet.
By law, min. Decree 1975

With the school.
No bidet.

PS. Bidet is for washing genitals too.

Odd. Bidets sre in just about every private bathroom in France but not public ones. First bidet i used eas in France but i have only seen one in Italy but have never stayed in a modern building in Italy.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Odd. Bidets sre in just about every private bathroom in France but not public ones. First bidet i used eas in France but i have only seen one in Italy but have never stayed in a modern building in Italy.
We were a classroom. 2002. Rennes, Bretagne.
And we reunited a evening ...and asked each other whether there was a bidet at the house we were staying.
Almost none had it.
As for Italy, it is illegal to have bathrooms without bidet..
There is no bathroom without bidet.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
From Wikipedia

Bidets are common bathroom fixtures in the Arab world, West Africa, southern European countries, and in predominantly Catholic countries,[15] such as Italy (the installation of a bidet in a bathroom has been mandatory since 1975[16]), Spain (but in recent times new or renewed houses tend to have bathrooms without bidets, except the luxurious ones[17]), and Portugal (installation is mandatory since 1975).[18]They are also found in Southern Eastern Europe in countries like Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Greece.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Do any of you who have a Western identity clean yourself with a bidet or some other device that sprays water after you expel solid waste?

My custom is to use what is called a 'bottle bidet.' If I am not going to take a shower soon after I am done with the loo, I even use soap and water.

#comewashwithme

In my experience, it's the wealthy who have bidets in their homes in the US (my mother has one in the house she had built). I personally have never used one.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
We were a classroom. 2002. Rennes, Bretagne.
And we reunited a evening ...and asked each other whether there was a bidet at the house we were staying.
Almost none had it.
As for Italy, it is illegal to have bathrooms without bidet..
There is no bathroom without bidet.

The oddities of the law never cease to amaze me.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm just curious. Those of you that live in areas where bidets are commonplace, what is the etiquette in using the facilities in another's home? Is one generally welcome to use the bidet in another's home? Given the culture I was raised, I would definitely hesitate. To me, it would be akin to drying my hands on a towel hanging in the bathroom after washing my hands.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

#comewashwithme

Here in Brazil, the bidet has completely fallen out of fashion. You will have a really hard time finding one. What many people use is what we call: hygienic shower. It is essentially a hose standing next to the toilet.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
In my experience, it's the wealthy who have bidets in their homes in the US (my mother has one in the house she had built). I personally have never used one.
I believe it is a matter of habits.
If I had lived in Britain all my life, I would find bidets superfluous.;):)
But since I am Italian...I guess we Italians cannot live without them.