• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fellow atheists... Where does the Human Mind come from?

Emp-Naval

Unsure humanoid
The question is best stated as: If the mind doesn't stem from the brain, where does it come from?

Here I will base my aegument on the belief that if the mind actually do stem from the brain, then it is deterministic... Extremely complex, but non the leas systematic and predictable given enough information. Which is a fair assumption to me.

Now to the argument:
Assume the human mind to be deterministic.
Then, in theory, a machine capable of predicting every future event, whether human or natural, given pre-conditions, can exist.

Given enough pre-conditions, this machine has a 100% certainity rate.

Now assume a test subject named Bob. Bob is isolated from the outside world, i.e. he is unaffected by any outside uncontrolled event.

We gather every information there is about Bob, complete map of information about every last atom in his body and surroundong test invironment at a goven moment and feed them into the machine.

Bob, being an your avarage human being, is under the illusion that he has free well, which is negated by our assumption that his mind is deterministic by nature.

Our machine is capable of predicting Bob's future actions with perfect precision.

Now Bob is introduced to the machine so he can read its predictions. Being under the illusion of free well, Bob will try to change his actions so he can prove he has it, and the machine is wrong. The machine already has calculated that Bob will do that, since it has all the information needed to make a 100% certain prediction... Hence infinite regression is created.

Therefor, the human mind is indeterministic by nature, and since it is indeterministic, then it doesn't stem from the brain "solely"... So where does it come from?

No souls or spirits please, because that will drift the thread way off into a completely different subject...

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
The question is best stated as: If the mind doesn't stem from the brain, where does it come from?

Here I will base my aegument on the belief that if the mind actually do stem from the brain, then it is deterministic... Extremely complex, but non the leas systematic and predictable given enough information. Which is a fair assumption to me.

Now to the argument:
Then, in theory, a machine capable of predicting every future event, whether human or natural, given pre-conditions, can exist.

Now assume a test subject named Bob. Bob is isolated from the outside world, i.e. he is unaffected by any outside uncontrolled event.

We gather every information there is about Bob, complete map of information about every last atom in his body and surroundong test invironment at a goven moment and feed them into the machine.

Bob, being an your avarage human being, is under the illusion that he has free well, which is negated by our assumption that his mind is deterministic by nature.

Our machine is capable of predicting Bob's future actions with perfect precision.

Now Bob is introduced to the machine so he can read its predictions. Being under the illusion of free well, Bob will try to change his actions so he can prove he has it, and the machine is wrong. The machine already has calculated that Bob will do that, since it has all the information needed to make a 100% certain prediction... Hence infinite regression is created.

Therefor, the human mind is indeterministic by nature, and since it is indeterministic, then it doesn't stem from the brain "solely"... So where does it come from?

No souls or spirits please, because that will drift the thread way off into a completely different subject...

Bolded statement is unfounded, as you said the computer can accurately read him regardless of his flip-flopping

Emp-Naval

Unsure humanoid
Bolded statement is unfounded, as you said the computer can accurately read him regardless of his flip-flopping

You missed the point my friend.
Bob can see the predictions on the screen.

The machine will make it's prediction based on what it has calculated, but Bob can see the result, but the machine already knows that he sees the result, so it includes that into the equasion, but then agian Bob can still see the result...

In other words:
The machine knows that he knows that it knows that he knows that it knows that he knows... Infinitely... Hence infinite regression.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The OP does not make a case that an infinite amount of second-guessing amounts to an "indeterminate mind", in my opinion. At any one point during that second-guessing, the "mind" would be determined.

Bob guesses "Yes".

Bob sees the computer has guessed that he will guess "Yes", so Bob guesses "No".

And so forth....

How does any of that demonstrate that Bob's mind is indeterminate? In the above brief example, it's been "determined" at least twice.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
You missed the point my friend.
Bob can see the predictions on the screen.

The machine will make it's prediction based on what it has calculated, but Bob can see the result, but the machine already knows that he sees the result, so it includes that into the equasion, but then agian Bob can still see the result...

In other words:
The machine knows that he knows that it knows that he knows that it knows that he knows... Infinitely... Hence infinite regression.

How is that invalidating determinism? Let's change the story slightly: Bob is asked to push one of two buttons. He knows the machine will calculate which button he presses. But he must actually push a button, and when he does, the machine will reveal the answer it calculated ten seconds earlier.

Of course a determined system will reevaluate its answer based on incoming stimuli. Your argument is stating that humans can change their minds based on what they experience and a machine can do so as well. If anything you've shown just how impotent deterministic systems can be.

Thana

Lady
I know that some Parapsychologists believe that the 'mind' is seperate from the brain. That the brain is the receiver, In a sense, Of the mind. But what is the mind? How does it work? Where is it?

No idea. I haven't really researched much into what they theorize :shrug:

Skwim

Veteran Member

Now to the argument:
Why? "Can" implies a true possibility, which I fail to see. Just because all the information need to predict X exists doesn't mean it's a possibe to do so.

Which assumes such a machine could exist, something not yet shown to be true.

Actually his illusion would still exist. Why would our assumption bear on it?

Therefor, the human mind is indeterministic by nature,
Sorry, but I fail to see how you arrived at this conclusion. Why should the mind be "indeterministic"--possessing freewill I assume---just because this machine of yours "knows" what Bob will do?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Anybody can do this to disprove the OP:

Replace the human with a machine that reads the output and renders the opposite reaction.

Ergo, computers are indeterministic.

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
the mind is favor from God , that's what make us different (superior) than the other creation , I guess the Jinny also had mind .

Emp-Naval

Unsure humanoid
Anybody can do this to disprove the OP:

Replace the human with a machine that reads the output and renders the opposite reaction.

Ergo, computers are indeterministic.

Don't get me wrong, I hate this argument... But as I was thinking about it I just couldn't find something to rebut it... The computer vs. computer is cool though...
So just because this particular situation seems to repeat itself infinitely -illogical?-, it doesn't disprove anything, right?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Don't get me wrong, I hate this argument... But as I was thinking about it I just couldn't find something to rebut it... The computer vs. computer is cool though...
So just because this particular situation seems to repeat itself infinitely -illogical?-, it doesn't disprove anything, right?

At the very least it doesn't achieve the conclusion you have given it. Both systems are deterministic, both are frying themselves trying to one-up the other til the end of time.

It also has very little to do with the nature of the mind, beyond reference of a deterministic system.

Emp-Naval

Unsure humanoid
the mind is favor from God , that's what make us different (superior) than the other creation , I guess the Jinny also had mind .

Oh perfect a muslim >.>
Anyway, so you think that your Allah gave humans minds and left other animals... I don't think so.

First what is a mind? Is it cognitive abilities? If so then some species with advanced brains are self aware, and posess a certain degree of cognition.

And Jennis... I mean c'mon, you can't believe that unless you are 3 years old >.>
For people who know nothing about Islamic mythology, Jennis are a race of invisible, shape shifting, manipulative super strong, hediously shaped creatures made out of fire. They are the only non-human species who have free well.

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
Oh perfect a muslim >.>
Anyway, so you think that your Allah gave humans minds and left other animals... I don't think so.

First what is a mind? Is it cognitive abilities? If so then some species with advanced brains are self aware, and posess a certain degree of cognition.
I Know there is some species had advanced brains , but certians did not reach the level of human in all the cases .

And Jennis... I mean c'mon, you can't believe that unless you are 3 years old >.>
For people who know nothing about Islamic mythology, Jennis are a race of invisible, shape shifting, manipulative super strong, hediously shaped creatures made out of fire. They are the only non-human species who have free well.

thanks for your explain