• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feeding Two Stray Cats and Avoiding Fights?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
My stray friend has apparently developed some sort of bond with another cat, since the other cat has been following her to my doorstep in the last few days. The first time I saw the other stray, I tried to feed both of them, but the other stray hissed at the first cat and almost swatted at her to get the food for himself.

I put down some food for my friend, walked a short distance, and put down food for the other one. They both ate without fighting, but I was still a bit worried about inadvertently causing a fight by feeding them together.

Does anyone here have any tips for this situation? I don't know whether I should keep feeding the second stray, but I would really feel bad if a cat came to my doorstep, especially in winter, and I let it walk away without giving it any food or water. So I would ideally feed both but somehow ensure they wouldn't fight.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I was feeding 15 strays at once every day rather recently so I got quite good at this.

Scatter the food. Don't put it in piles. So they can just graze and eat, they don't feel the need to guard a set position.

Also, supervision helps. And once the cats get the idea that there's enough food to go around they should chill out.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I was feeding 15 strays at once every day rather recently so I got quite good at this.

Scatter the food. Don't put it in piles. So they can just graze and eat, they don't feel the need to guard a set position.

Also, supervision helps. And once the cats get the idea that there's enough food to go around they should chill out.

Thanks! I'll try scattering it as much as the space allows.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Does anyone here have any tips for this situation? I don't know whether I should keep feeding the second stray, but I would really feel bad if a cat came to my doorstep, especially in winter, and I let it walk away without giving it any food or water. So I would ideally feed both but somehow ensure they wouldn't fight.
I would continue to feed them separately but move the bowls closer and closer together until they touch, and eventually, they will get used to eating together and you can combine their food until one bowl.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I would continue to feed them separately but move the bowls closer and closer together until they touch, and eventually, they will get used to eating together and you can combine their food until one bowl.

How long would it typically take until they could eat from the same bowl safely (without swatting or fighting)?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I feed 4 or 5 (3 strays, 1 is a bit random) i spread bowls about the kitchen, they all go to their own spot. I've not trained them to do this, so a bit of a surprise when they first started the routine.

When they've finished their own food they will try to nudge one of the others out of the way to pinch a bit extra. There is occasionally a hiss and a bop but they are quite responsive to a sharp word and a pointy finger.

Though I'm dreading the day it goes further than a quick scuffle

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
When I was a kid I started feeding a stray

She eventually moved in and became part of the family

She was a lovely cat

I have an aunt in Greece who lives in a little Greek village where she feeds many strays

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I feed 4 or 5 (3 strays, 1 is a bit random) i spread bowls about the kitchen, they all go to their own spot. I've not trained them to do this, so a bit of a surprise when they first started the routine.

When they've finished their own food they will try to nudge one of the others out of the way to pinch a bit extra. There is occasionally a hiss and a bop but they are quite responsive to a sharp word and a pointy finger.

Do you raise your voice when you try to nip a fight in the bud, or is the hand gesturing enough?

Though I'm dreading the day it goes further than a quick scuffle

That's what I worry about. One of the two strays already has only one eye, so that's even more reason for me to be cautious about this.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
When I was a kid I started feeding a stray

She eventually moved in and became part of the family

She was a lovely cat

I have an aunt in Greece who lives in a little Greek village where she feeds many strays

I would definitely adopt my stray friend if I weren't allergic to cats. I feel bad that I can't take her in because I would love her company and would also love to give her a comfortable life instead of the suffering I know she experiences as a stray in a big city.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Do you raise your voice when you try to nip a fight in the bud, or is the hand gesturing enough?

That's what I worry about. One of the two strays already has only one eye, so that's even more reason for me to be cautious about this.

A stern "stop" or "ay' though it could be anything, it's the tone that gets the attention. They stop and look at the finger, and perhaps think she means business... Either that or "this human woman is bloody stupid"

Hmm, is the eye socket infected? Flying claws can cause a lot of damage if they catch the opponent just right... An i guess strays know this to their advantage.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I would definitely adopt my stray friend if I weren't allergic to cats. I feel bad that I can't take her in because I would love her company and would also love to give her a comfortable life instead of the suffering I know she experiences as a stray in a big city.

Have you tried antihistamines?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
A stern "stop" or "ay' though it could be anything, it's the tone that gets the attention. They stop and look at the finger, and perhaps think she means business... Either that or "this human woman is bloody stupid"

Hmm, is the eye socket infected? Flying claws can cause a lot of damage if they catch the opponent just right... An i guess strays know this to their advantage.

The eye socket doesn't seem infected, from what I can see.

Little Dragon

My stray friend has apparently developed some sort of bond with another cat, since the other cat has been following her to my doorstep in the last few days. The first time I saw the other stray, I tried to feed both of them, but the other stray hissed at the first cat and almost swatted at her to get the food for himself.

I put down some food for my friend, walked a short distance, and put down food for the other one. They both ate without fighting, but I was still a bit worried about inadvertently causing a fight by feeding them together.

I have to give my felines their own bowl each, or otherwise power struggles sometimes erupt. I would certainly feed the stray, with his or her own bowl, if you're worried. From the sounds of it, these Cats are friends and most likely will get on fine sharing food.

Little Dragon

That's really sad that you can't adopt her
Not always doable. I've looked after abandoned baby hedgehogs an injured wood pigeon, baby rats and young squirrels and random stray cats, all sorts, where I live there's lots of nature, I have the shed space to put wild animals we come across. You do what you can. They don't all survive. Always sad, always disheartening, but you have a duty to them all to try.