• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FDA moves to make over-the-counter hearing aids available to millions

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
This story is beyond left/right politics given who was involved at various stages. It's good news for free enterprise and for people by breaking an audiologist monopoly that ensured ruinous prices for many. Obama proposed it, Trump signed it into law and Biden pushed to make it happen

The new regulations will create a new category of hearing aids that supersede state-level regulations requiring patients to visit physicians or audiologists to get prescriptions and fittings. The devices will be available for individuals 18 and older with mild to moderate hearing loss at pharmacies, stores and online.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Sometimes a hearing aid isn't needed.
Just clean out the wax.
420557ce03fa210be3c9634112e41f75--cleaning-services-ears.jpg

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Beans in my ears

You can't hear the teacher with beans in your ears,
Beans in your ears, beans in your ears
You can't hear the teacher with beans in your ears,
Beans in your ears
I think that all grown ups have beans in their ears
Beans in their ears, beans in their ears
I think that all grown ups have beans in their ears
Beans in their ears

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Sometimes a hearing aid isn't needed.
Just clean out the wax.
420557ce03fa210be3c9634112e41f75--cleaning-services-ears.jpg
Reminds me of when my wife was really struggling with her left ear. Sometimes she said it felt like it was getting better and then not at all...

So we went to the ear doctor:

Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 2.45.47 PM.png

It's an ANIMAL I tell you!!!!

But, WOW, she really understood the difference in what clean hearing means... (pardon the pun)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Reminds me of when my wife was really struggling with her left ear. Sometimes she said it felt like it was getting better and then not at all...

So we went to the ear doctor:

View attachment 65494

It's an ANIMAL I tell you!!!!

But, WOW, she really understood the difference in what clean hearing means... (pardon the pun)
Looks like a Centaurian Slug.
Do you find that she's harder to control now that it's removed.
(Those things usually attach to the brain stem...not ear canal.)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
This story is beyond left/right politics given who was involved at various stages. It's good news for free enterprise and for people by breaking an audiologist monopoly that ensured ruinous prices for many. Obama proposed it, Trump signed it into law and Biden pushed to make it happen

The new regulations will create a new category of hearing aids that supersede state-level regulations requiring patients to visit physicians or audiologists to get prescriptions and fittings. The devices will be available for individuals 18 and older with mild to moderate hearing loss at pharmacies, stores and online.
That is interesting. I always just assumed that's what the hearing amplifier thingies are for that you see advertised on TV.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I like the idea that it creates competition and breaks up the monopoly and significantly reduces the horrendous price gouging at a patients expense.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I like the idea that it creates competition and breaks up the monopoly and significantly reduces the horrendous price gouging at a patients expense.
Was there a monopoly?
It appeared to be excessive government
regulation that caused the high cost.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I still use a cotton swab. It works good enough (for me, apparently, as I've never had problems from it), and it feels great, really good, and sometimes I just like spinning them amd going in and out ofmy ear canal after the wax has lubed them some.

I use cotton buds too. Never had a wax problem.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Sounds more like someone is upset they'll be losing out on money as people turn to more sensible and affordable options
America is just stupid about stuff like this. Like how you can get birth control OTC in many countries. And it gives a poor example of buying glasses at the store because those glasses, while not custom made do have the same basic lens strengths as prescription glasses. Not as good, no, but still good enough and far more affordable.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Sounds more like someone is upset they'll be losing out on money as people turn to more sensible and affordable options.
I read many links before picking one.
This explanation makes sense.

Let some experiment on their own.
It'll work well for some, poorly for others.
But if I ever need one, I'm going to an audiologist.
I like the choice being available.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I read many links before picking one.
This explanation makes sense.

Let some experiment on their own.
It'll work well for some, poorly for others.
But if I ever need one, I'm going to an audiologist.
I like the choice being available.
You should be able to go to one, but you shouldn't have to go to one to get a hearing aid. As it's been its really nothing more than for-profit medicine needlessly digging its claws in to bulk up and protect its profits at the expense of everyone's care.
But now, it reminds me when I think it was Bush Jr. made it so optometrists had to give us our prescription so we could go elsewhere for contact lenses.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Was there a monopoly?
It appeared to be excessive government
regulation that caused the high cost.
Well, close enough to a monopoly. All it takes is two Mega corporations to fit the bill for proper 'competition'.

Still results in poor quality and exorbitant price gouging in the thousands for something that probably costs, I'm guessing, only 5 bucks to make.