• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favourite imported delicacies

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
As trade is quite international (not to mention folks going to live overseas) specific recipes tend to travel just as widely.
What is your favourite food that is not exactly “native” to your local area?
(I’m using “Native” in a pretty general sense admittedly lol)
Old family recipe, street food, imported groceries or even a blended mixture of foods. Whatever goes.

Mine include but are not limited to
Local Mexican restaraunts here. This might be somewhat sacrilegious, but I suspect the types of Mexican foods I often eat isn’t entirely “traditional.” As the local ones near me offer either a blend with a bit of BBQ influence or a very “westernised” version. (Which oddly enough resembles a fitness junkie diet lol)
And yes we even have a little Taco Bell here. Not my fave “version” though. They’re okay. Like a lot of US imported fast food, I suspect they’re more restricted by our specific food safety standards/laws. But idk

American style hotdogs
Near me is a local little shop that boasts having American style street food (mostly hotdogs, waffles and burgers.)
I can’t vouch for its authenticity, but the specific blends found are actually quite different to Aussie versions. More chilli and beans present, basically.

My mum’s cooking lol. Puri, curry, roti etc
Basically home cooked Indian dishes lol

My friend’s mum’s curry puffs. Damn they’re good.

One of my uncles is from Germany. His BBQs are my favourite, because he makes traditional German dishes. Not entirely sure what they’re all called (his accent is pretty thick lol)
But damn there is certainly a difference between our sausages and German ones lol

What are some of yours?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Hm. That's a difficult question for me to answer, being as there's little of the 'native' cuisine I can eat, either that of the country's original population or the people settling it later on. Most of its pretty meat heavy, and I'm a vegetarian. I can make my own substitute versions using vegetarian product. Sometimes I do, but they're not favorites(doesn't mean unliked, just not favored), so its not something I do a lot.

There are some things I enjoy that recent immigrant groups have brought. The Burmese make this yellow crispy stuff out of dal. I have no idea what its called, but its good. The Bosnian grocers sell delicious candy. I don't enjoy American chocolate much after eating this(think its manufactured in Croatia). There's also little that is as much fun as looking over and picking out pan from all the very colorful(and delicious) options in the Latino grocery store...

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
My mind went to sushi, but most of those are no imported, and some of those are even exported. If you have ever had mirugai the odds are fairly high that it came from my state. That is "giant clam" and geoducks are the current favorite claim to use. I would post a picture of one, but this is not the eros forum.. Oh wait, maybe if I put it in a spoler

1678466266867.png

Hmm. even that is a bit too suggestive.

1678466321022.png

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Oh really?
Wow, didn’t know that!

Down the road from me is a suburb literally called Mango Hill. You can probably guess why lol
In India near Salem, in TN, I went to a mango market. There were about 30 varieties, and everyone there had a favorite that they recommended to my daughter and I. I never ever thought I could ever get my fill of mangoes, but that evening was close for sure.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Where i live there are hundreds of french restaurants withing half hours drive but very few foreign food outlets. So i make ...

Chillis
Curries, Chinese, Indian, Thai. good but not a patch on the genuine article.
Italian, several Italian dishes which do make the grade.
Moroccan food is pretty good too.

Fruits like mango, pineapple, pomegranate, dates. Luckily we can grow figs, the others have to be imported. And banana, common as they come, hard to believe it has to be imported.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Wasabi peas, i used to get them from an asian shop in Preston UK. Never been able to find them on France.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
At what point does it stop being import? There's a chain of Asian grocery stores here, I live within walking distance of an Indian grocery store and there's more that's been here awhile. There was a legit Mexican restaurant where I lived in Indiana, but here in California it's definitely a native food, lol. But regardless real Mexican I tend to still prefer gringo-ized with a Tex sized load of cheese on it.