• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite rendition of Batman?

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Batman spoilers of any kind allowed on this thread!

What is your favorite rendition/version of Batman? (Comics, TV, movies, video games, etc.)

You can answer the question by answering which Batman character rendition is your favorite, or rather, which Batman media piece is your favorite overall, such as a favorite movie (so, an answer not soley focused on the character of Batman himself).

I need to rewatch the original Michael Keaton Batman as well as the recent one starring Robert Pattison as Batman. Oh, and Ben Affleck was Batman as well in Batman V Superman. Those three renditions of Batman I will rewatch and then revisit this thread. But I know for sure they aren't my favorite Batman movies.

The Christopher Nolan directed Dark Knight trilogy I have seen plenty of times. They are my favorite Batman movies. Christian Bale, the actor who plays Batman, is not my favorite rendition of the Batman, however.

If I had to pick a favorite out of the trilogy, it would be the mainstream pick of the Dark Knight. I mean, this movie is the third highest rated movie of all time on https://m.imdb.com/chart/top/ Heath Ledger as the Joker, with the legendary Nolan behind the camera, just catapults the movie as a whole to extraordinary levels.

Christian Bale did not need to carry the movie with his performance. He didn't do bad. A thing a like about his Batman is the relatability the Bale portrays. He is good at presenting a vulnerable Bruce Wayne. Bale shows Bruce Wayne overcoming his vulnerabilities that results from being a human with emotions. Bale never puts a poor performance, and that holds true here. He is not my favorite Batman, though.

My favorite rendition of Batman is the Batman from the wildly popular "Arkham" video games. Well, until the final game that released this year, but I'll get to that. The rest of the Arkham games though put you in the shoes of Batman. This Batman is voiced by the legendary Kevin Conroy, the iconic voice behind the Batman in the animated series. I'm playing the first one currently, have played the second one before. But I'm in love with the character of Batman here. First off, the character of Batman in these games is stoic in my opinion, which I love. And his empathy for everyone is truly felt in a way that surprised me. Here, Batman's pure motivations feel sincere. I buy it completely, it is well written I suppose. And you truly feel like the world's greatest detective, as you solve all sorts of things. But then the game they released this year ruined the legacy. You play as Harley Quinn (among other baddies) in the newest one, and have to kill brainwashed superheros. The Batman, who you spent four games playing as and being the worlds greatest fighter and detective, and doing all sorts of amazing things, this very same Batman is now brainwashed by Braniac. Harley Quinn (who has been outwitted and defeated by Batman throughout the games), this same Harley Quinn, has to kill Batman... for heroic reasons. Well, she succeeds. That's right! Ultimately and canonically for the game series, Harley Quinn defeats the Batman by shooting him in the face. This is prefaced by her lecturing Batman about how HE is the real bad guy and causes "emotional damage to everyone in his life"... And immediately after she shoots him in the face and leaves his body to rot in the street, the video game plays a tribute to the iconic voice actor of Batman who passed away before the games release. Yeaaaaaa, no. That pissed absolutely every single fan of the series off, myself included. The game tanked and is universally considered awful, while the rest of the games preceding the final one are all well loved.

So, Arkham Batman is my favorite Batman with a caveat... We pretend the last game didn't happen.

So, how about you? Got a favorite Batman comic or something?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
My favorite by a long shot is The Dark Knight as portrayed by Christian Bale in the trilogy. In my eyes, he nails the character perfectly. Plus Anne Hathaway does a great job portraying Selena Kyle (though I favor that character's backstory portrayed in Gotham by Carmen Bicondova.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Ohhh I watched the two animated movies that were adapted from this comic some years back. Very much enjoyed it.
I was never much into superhero comix, more of a Franco-Belgian bande dessinée / graphic novel guy. I wouldn't have purchased a Batman comic. But when it was gifted to me, I was pleasantly surprised.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Michael Keaton will always be my favorite Batman. I also love Batman Forever and Batman and Robin. The '90s series, too. I grew up with those.

I didn't really care for the Dark Knight series. I think Nolan is extremely overrated as a director, but Ledger was the best part of that series, overshadowing even the normally great Christian Bale and Tom Hardy.