• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Quotes

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Okay let's do this.

"When people are overwhelmed with laws they become mischevious, but take away the laws and they will return to their natural virtue"- Lao Tzu

"The self is all there is. Bright is the self. Luminous and still, free from sin and pure. He it is who holds the Cosmos together."- Isha Upanishad

"Say you are a Christian, no one will care. Say you are a Jew, no one will be disturbed. Say you are a Pagan and the whole world will be in awe of you. The government leaders will scoff, the elders will call you insane, the Monotheists will damn you and call you possessed. You have no haven except with other Pagans."- Anonymous

"The violence, attrocities, bloodlust, and vileness with which more then half the Bible is filled it would be more consistent that it be called the word of a demon rather then the word of God. It is a history of wickedness that has served to brutalize mankind, and I for my part detest it, as I detest everything cruel"- Thomas Paine

Smokeless Indica

<3 Damian Edward Nixon <3
Okay let's do this.

"When people are overwhelmed with laws they become mischevious, but take away the laws and they will return to their natural virtue"- Lao Tzu

"The self is all there is. Bright is the self. Luminous and still, free from sin and pure. He it is who holds the Cosmos together."- Isha Upanishad

"Say you are a Christian, no one will care. Say you are a Jew, no one will be disturbed. Say you are a Pagan and the whole world will be in awe of you. The government leaders will scoff, the elders will call you insane, the Monotheists will damn you and call you possessed. You have no haven except with other Pagans."- Anonymous

"The violence, attrocities, bloodlust, and vileness with which more then half the Bible is filled it would be more consistent that it be called the word of a demon rather then the word of God. It is a history of wickedness that has served to brutalize mankind, and I for my part detest it, as I detest everything cruel"- Thomas Paine

Hey I already started one of these lol

Don't give up! I believe in you all. A person's a person, no matter how small! ~ Dr. Seuss

The_Evelyonian

Old-School Member
"We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones.
Most people are never going to die because they're never going to be born.
The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will, in fact, never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Sahara.
Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton.
We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively outnumbers the set of actual people.
In the teeth of these stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here.
We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds; how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?"
-Richard Dawkins

"Think of something from your childhood. Something you remember clearly, something you can see, feel, maybe even smell, as if you were really there.
After all, you really were there at the time, weren’t you? How else would you remember it? But here is the bombshell: you weren’t there. Not a single atom that is in your body today was there when that event took place. Matter flows from place to place and momentarily comes together to be you. Whatever you are, therefore, you are not the stuff of which you are made. If that doesn’t make the hair on the back of your neck stand up, read it again until it does, because it is important."
- Steve Grand

.lava

Veteran Member
"Think of something from your childhood. Something you remember clearly, something you can see, feel, maybe even smell, as if you were really there.
After all, you really were there at the time, weren’t you? How else would you remember it? But here is the bombshell: you weren’t there. Not a single atom that is in your body today was there when that event took place. Matter flows from place to place and momentarily comes together to be you. Whatever you are, therefore, you are not the stuff of which you are made. If that doesn’t make the hair on the back of your neck stand up, read it again until it does, because it is important."
- Steve Grand

i think this one is interesting. i don't know what makes him think mind is made of cells though

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left." ~ Oscar Levant

wmjbyatt

Lunatic from birth
"That the natural state of the human spirit is ecstatic wonder! That we should not settle for less!"
- Mission of the New College Student Alliance (student government body for the New College of Florida)

"Fantastic insight into the true nature of reality is isomorphic to insanity."
- Unknown

"We have a moral obligation to invent technology so that every person on this earth has the potential to realize their true expression."
- Kevin Kelly

"The source of the exhilaration associated with computer programming is the continual unfolding within the mind and on the computer of mechanisms expressed as programs and the explosion of perception they generate. If art interprets our dreams, the computer executes them in the guise of programs!"
- Alan J. Perlis, in the Preface to "Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs, Second Ed."

"Who will attain anything great if he does not possess the strength and the will to inflict great suffering? Being able to suffer is the least thing: weak women and even slaves often attain mastery in that. But not to perish of inner distress and uncertainty when one inflicts great suffering and hears the cry of this suffering--that is great, that belongs to greatness."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"Opinions are just a way to make up for being wrong."
- [omitted for privacy concerns]

"Buy the ticket, take the ride."
- Hunter S. Thompson

"History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it."
- Sir Winston Churchill

"I never let school interfere with my education"
- Mark Twain

"It's a wonder that curiosity survives the modern educational system."
- Mark Twain

"I am going to be a storm - a flame
I need to fight whole armies all alone
I have ten hearts, a hundred arms
I feel too strong to war with mortals
BRING ME GIANTS!"
- Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Act I

"Survival? What about it? What value does life have when we're not free to live it as we see fit?"

He is not happy who is gladder
than the poorest of all men--
But he is happy who, once sadder,
the wretchedest has been.
A friend to me was right to say
that joy requires sorrow,
and only through the sharpest pain
may happy be the morrow.

"We have no control over other people, except in regards to the volume at which we hear the noise they make."