• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Psalms/Bible Passages

lunamoth

Will to love
Hi All,

Thought it would be uplifting to create a thread for people to post their favorite Psalms or passages from the Bible.

I would invite everyone to share why they like the parts they post.

Peace,
luna

Added - also feel free to post passages from other religious texts/scriptures you find meaningful.

lunamoth

Will to love
Isaiah 58

6 “Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
and break every yoke?
7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry
and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
when you see the naked, to clothe them,
and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?
8 Then your light will break forth like the dawn,
and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness[a] will go before you,
and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard.
9 Then you will call, and the LORD will answer;
you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.

“If you do away with the yoke of oppression,
with the pointing finger and malicious talk,
10 and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry
and satisfy the needs of the oppressed,
then your light will rise in the darkness,
and your night will become like the noonday.

I like this passage because I think it points to the kind of 'religion' that will lead to healing of the brokenness in the world, which I see as one of the main reasons for religion.

Last edited:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
[FONT=Gatineau, sans-serif]The Beatitudes [/FONT][FONT=Gatineau, sans-serif]as sung by the monks of Glenstal Abbey[/FONT]

[FONT=Gatineau, sans-serif]Amen! Truly I say to you: Gather in my name. I am with you[/FONT][FONT=Gatineau, sans-serif]. Solo[/FONT]

[FONT=Gatineau, sans-serif]Amen! Truly I say to you: Gather in my name. I am with you.[/FONT]

[FONT=Gatineau, sans-serif]Blessed are the poor in spirit, the kingdom of heaven is theirs.[/FONT]

[FONT=Gatineau, sans-serif]Blessed are the gentle, they shall inherit the land[/FONT]

[FONT=Gatineau, sans-serif]Blessed are those who morn, they shall be consoled.[/FONT]

[FONT=Gatineau, sans-serif]Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for justice. The justice of God shall be theirs.[/FONT]

[FONT=Gatineau, sans-serif]Amen! Truly I say to you: Gather in my name. I am with you.[/FONT]

[FONT=Gatineau, sans-serif]Blessed are the merciful, mercy shall be shown unto them.[/FONT]

[FONT=Gatineau, sans-serif]Blessed are the pure of heart, they shall behold their God.[/FONT]

[FONT=Gatineau, sans-serif]Blessed are those who bring peace, they shall be children of God[/FONT]

[FONT=Gatineau, sans-serif]Blessed are those who suffer in the cause of right, the kingdom of heaven is theirs.[/FONT]

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I don't have Scripture, and I'm not Abrahamic. I have a lovely hymn, though, if I'm welcome.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Thanks.

Mothers of earth
Fathers of sky,
We are children of this place

Dreamers and fools,
Lost in this world
Yearning for the immortals

Come to us
Touch us
Kiss our eyes, that we may dream

It loses a bit without the melody, but still lovely, I think.

lunamoth

Will to love
Thanks.

Mothers of earth
Fathers of sky,
We are children of this place

Dreamers and fools,
Lost in this world
Yearning for the immortals

Come to us
Touch us
Kiss our eyes, that we may dream

It loses a bit without the melody, but still lovely, I think.
Nice. :yes: Did you write this?

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
Psalm 19 was always one of my favorites. My favorite Bible verses are probably Proverbs 3:19-20. Back when I was young and religious, I always found these passages inspiring to me as a scientist. They gave me hope that the world can be understood by the minds of men and that God could be better known through understanding nature. There are definitely some good things to be found in the Bible. I always tell my Christian friends that to me reading the Bible is like panning for gold, you have to sift through a lot of debris to find things of value. In the Old Testament, I love the books of Job, Proverbs, and Ecclesiastes. In the New Testament, I particularly like Matthew 5, 6, and 7 and the book of James.

lunamoth

Will to love
Psalm 19 was always one of my favorites. My favorite Bible verses are probably Proverbs 3:19-20. Back when I was young and religious, I always found these passages inspiring to me as a scientist. They gave me hope that the world can be understood by the minds of men and that God could be better known through understanding nature. There are definitely some good things to be found in the Bible. I always tell my Christian friends that to me reading the Bible is like panning for gold, you have to sift through a lot of debris to find things of value. In the Old Testament, I love the books of Job, Proverbs, and Ecclesiastes. In the New Testament, I particularly like Matthew 5, 6, and 7 and the book of James.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this!

Had to look up Psalm 19:

Psalm 19:1 The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
2 Day after day they pour forth speech;
night after night they reveal knowledge.
3 They have no speech, they use no words;
no sound is heard from them.
4 Yet their voice[b] goes out into all the earth,
their words to the ends of the world.
In the heavens God has pitched a tent for the sun.
5 It is like a bridegroom coming out of his chamber,
like a champion rejoicing to run his course.
6 It rises at one end of the heavens
and makes its circuit to the other;
nothing is deprived of its warmth.

lunamoth

Will to love
From Psalm 42:

7 Deep calls to deep
in the roar of your waterfalls;
all your waves and breakers
have swept over me.

I just love this image.

Levite

Higher and Higher
Wow. Great thread.

For me....

Ps. 121, Ps. 3, Ps. 93, Ps. 118 and Ps. 148 spring to mind immediately. I am very fond of the Song of the Sea (Ex. 15:1-18), and of the eighth chapter of Song of Songs.

And while it's not really uplifting in the same way as the others, I find the third chapter of Lamentations deeply moving. Chokes me up every time.

We have some liturgical poems I am crazy about, also.

For example, this is "Lechah Dodi" ("Let us go, my dear one"), a song composed by Rabbi Shlomo Alkabetz (16th century CE, Safed, Israel). It is a Kabbalistic hymn for the beginning of Shabbat (the Sabbath), wherein the singer exhorts his friends to come and greet the Shabbat, which is poetically anthropomorphized into a bride and a queen. It works better in Hebrew, of course, and this is just a rough translation, but you get the idea:

לכה דודי לקראת כלה, פני שבת נקבלה.
(refrain, repeated after every verse) Let us go, my dear one, to meet the bride: to greet the Shabbat together!

שמור וזכור בדבור אחד, השמיענו אל המיחד, ה' אחד ושמו אחד, לשם ולתפארת ולתהלה.
“Observe” and “Remember” Shabbat simultaneously: let us listen to the Unique God; YHVH is one, and His name is one, as a name, as glory, and for praising.

לקראת שבת לכו ונלכה, כי היא מקור הברכה, מראש מקדם נסוכה, סוף מעשה במחשבה תחלה.
To greet the Shabbat let us go forth together, for it is the source of blessing from the ancientest beginnings; last to be created, but first in the Divine Plan.

מקדש מלך עיר מלוכה, קומי צאי מתוך ההפכה, רב לך שבת בעמק הבכא, והוא יחמול עליך חמלה.
O Sanctuary of the King, Royal City, arise and leave your ruination! You have dwelt enough in the Valley of Tears, and He shall bestow compassion upon you in His empathy.

התנערי מעפר קומי, לבשי בגדי תפארתך עמי, על יד בן ישי בית הלחמי, קרבה אל נפשי גאלה.
Shake off the dust and arise, put on garments of splendor-- my people! Soon will your soul draw close to redemption, at the hand of the descendant of Jesse the Bethlehemite!

התעוררי התעוררי, כי בא אורך קומי אורי, עורי עורי שיר דברי, כבוד ה' עליך נגלה.
Awake, awake, for your light comes, let your light arise! Waken, oh waken, and speak poetry: the glory of YHVH is revealed upon you!

לא תבושי ולא תכלמי, מה תשתוחחי ומה תהמי, בך יחסו עניי עמי, ונבנתה עיר על תלה.
Do not be ashamed, do not be humiliated! Why be oppressed, why sigh? Within you shall the afflicted of my people find refuge, and the city shall be rebuilt upon its hill!

והיו למשסה שאסיך, ורחקו כל מבלעיך, ישיש עליך אלהיך, כמשוש חתן על כלה.
Those who despoil you shall become your spoils, those who would swallow you up shall be cast far away. May God rejoice in you, as a bridegroom rejoices in his bride!

ימין ושמאל תפרוצי, ואת ה' תעריצי, על יד איש בן פרצי, ונשמחה ונגילה.
Right and left shall you burst forth, and you shall be entranced with YHVH! At the hand of a descendant of Peretz you shall be glad and sing joyfully!

בואי בשלום עטרת בעלה, גם ברנה ובצהלה, תוך אמוני עם סגלה, בואי כלה, בואי כלה. בואי כלה שבת מלכתא.
Come in peace, O crown of her husband! Yes, and in glad song and shouts of exultation! In the midst of the faithful of the chosen people, come, O bride! come O bride! come, O bride, Shabbat Queen!

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Ecclesiastes - Chapter 3

1. Everything has an appointed season, and there is a time for every matter under the heaven.
2. A time to give birth and a time to die; a time to plant and a time to uproot that which is planted.
3. A time to kill and a time to heal; a time to break and a time to build.
4. A time to weep and a time to laugh; a time of wailing and a time of dancing.
5. A time to cast stones and a time to gather stones; a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing.
6. A time to seek and a time to lose; a time to keep and a time to cast away.
7. A time to rend and a time to sew; a time to be silent and a time to speak.
8. A time to love and a time to hate; a time for war and a time for peace.