• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Mystic Quotes

Orbit

I'm a planet
Post here, if you would, your favorite quotes that really capture the mystic experience. Perhaps say a few words to put the quote into context.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Interestingly enough an Existentialist friend of mine sent me this mysterious email late last night simply entitled, "French Text from 1862", and does not tell me anything more about it than that. It was just a photo he took of some text out of some book he was reading. I just read this moments ago waking up. To transcribe it here:

After a pause the old man pointed to the sky and said: 'The infinite has being. It is there. If infinity had no self then self would not be. But it is. Therefore it has a self. The self of infinity is God.'

He had spoken those last words in a clear voice and with a quiver of ecstasy, as though he saw some living presence. Then he closed his eyes. The effort had exhausted him. It was plain that in the course of a moment he had lived the few hours that remained to him. His last utterance had brought him very near to death.

Edit: He just responded telling me it was a quote from Victor Hugo early on in his masterwork Les Miserables.

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Now to add one of my own personal favorites, from the 14th Century mystic Meister Eckhart I first read moments after having spent a hour sitting on the end of a dock meditating with a most spectacular sunset. I returned to the cabin and stumbled across this quote which perfectly captured the experience and my state of being. "The eye through which I see God is the same eye through which God sees me; my eye and God's eye are one eye, one seeing, one knowing, one love."