• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite games

No*s

Captain Obvious
Before I go to work, what are your favorite games in the boardish and cardish categories. I tend to like chess, go, and spades. I used to play Spades with three friends of mine every Tuesday night. (Oh, would that my principle partner hadn't abandoned me to get married :biglaugh:).

That said, however, I do have one former sparring partner, that when he next is in Plainview will be gifted with real, pure root beer in a frosty mug for old time's sake (and to one-up Mug root beer).

I bet I can find some interesting ones by the time I get off lol.

Popeyesays

No*s said:
Before I go to work, what are your favorite games in the boardish and cardish categories. I tend to like chess, go, and spades. I used to play Spades with three friends of mine every Tuesday night. (Oh, would that my principle partner hadn't abandoned me to get married :biglaugh:).

That said, however, I do have one former sparring partner, that when he next is in Plainview will be gifted with real, pure root beer in a frosty mug for old time's sake (and to one-up Mug root beer).

I bet I can find some interesting ones by the time I get off lol.
I was an avid poker and bridge player. I played duplicate tournament bridge for a long time. I don't gamble since I became Baha`i.
But I was a wargamer from the time I was 13 playing board games like "Midway", "Afrika Corps", etc. Then I got into miniature wargaming, pushing lead or plastic soldiers over the table - I've played dozens of rule systems for different eras of warfare.
Nobody will play trivial pursuit or scrabble with me.

Regards,
Scott

Smoke

Done here.
I like Scrabble and MadLibs, but my better half hates both. We bought Dungeons and Dragons, but it seems like probably more trouble than it's worth to learn it. I've been thinking of buying Twister.

Todd

Rajun Cajun
Texas Hold'em. I typically try to play once a month. I have also frequented partypoker.com to play Hold'em.

mrscardero

Kal-El's Mama
At work we play Uno or Rummy 500 with the clients. I use to play cribbage and got really addicted to it. I even dreamed about cribbage and it scared me some times.

One time I was playing Boggle with some co-workers and some clients and I couldn't believe it. I lost to a client who was 24 but had a grade level of a first grader. He just wrote down what ever he thought was a word and guessed it right. That's what he said anyways.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Hero Quest is a board RPG where you need a small campaign of players, a few hours and a good size table. There are player pieces with dials on their bases (this was before the concept of HERO CLIX), there are other plastic pieces such as, furniture, chests, doorways. You fill out a character sheet, there are prescribed adventures but the game encourages you to create your own scenarios or they offer expansion packs (sold separately) with different monsters and written scenarios. I really enjoyed that game. One problem, I had no friends that were interested in role playing. It has sat up in my shelf in its box awaiting a decision from me about whether I should keep it or put it on eBay.

HeroQuest.jpg

Dark World is from the same era (late 1980’s) and is of the same format. Someone is designated as game master and the games board settings or more elaborate with more pieces and then there seems to be a race to a castle that must be overthrown. I say “seems” because I have never played the game and the pieces are still in the bag and on the plastic frame and the cardboard scenes have never been punched out. It looks like a very interesting game but I never had the opportunity to play it. These games are often enjoyed with three or more players.

DarkWorld.jpg

Then we come to DARKTOWER!! Now, that was a GAME!! This was in the mid 80’s and I did not have trouble collaborating with friends on DarkTower. Friends that I have not seen or heard of in years would come running with just a mention of this game. Simple premise, as a warrior you need to transverse four lands (as your 3 other opponents must do), be the first to collect each kingdom’s keys, build your army and race back to your home kingdom, find the Dark Tower Key, solve the riddle of the castle and storm THE CASTLE!!! (I just got chills) This is all at the mercy of an electronic computer (2 Double C (or was it D) batteries not included) castle that decides your destiny. Could I call this a RPG game? No. Would die hard RPGers enjoy playing this game? Possibly. Was this game fun? YEAH IT WAS!!! I no longer have the DarkTower game, it was sold to a person in Minnesota and it is probably one of the most regrettable things I have done in my gaming life.

DarkTower.jpg

Where is the future of my gaming? Well, I don't want to grow up, I'm a Toys 'R' Us kid but I have had my eye on that new game HERO SCAPE that you see commercials for but I have a feeling that if I did purchase it, it would probably be just another dust collector.

picture(41).jpg

No*s

Captain Obvious
cardero said:
Hero Quest is a board RPG where you need a small campaign of players, a few hours and a good size table. There are player pieces with dials on their bases (this was before the concept of HERO CLIX), there are other plastic pieces such as, furniture, chests, doorways. You fill out a character sheet, there are prescribed adventures but the game encourages you to create your own scenarios or they offer expansion packs (sold separately) with different monsters and written scenarios. I really enjoyed that game. One problem, I had no friends that were interested in role playing. It has sat up in my shelf in its box awaiting a decision from me about whether I should keep it or put it on eBay.

I used to play that all the time as a kid! I was the DM, and I would daresay, that game was fun. I just loved loading up one room with all sorts of baddies to trick my cousins into so I could kill them! :devil:

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
When I was growing up, my dearest love was "Hungry, Hungry Hippos."

Now, I'm not sure if I have a favorite board game. I like the ones that encourage cooperation, but I can't think of any offhand.

Bishka

Veteran Member
I had so many favorite games, one was "Giants"

We'd play this on car rides, we'd pretend we were giants and use things from outside the car as giants.

For example a really tall evergreen would be a toothbrush or a comb. Stuff like that. :D Kind of dorky, I know.

M

Majikthise

Risk has always been one of my top picks, in any of it's incarnations. I have Heroscape and my 9 year old daughter and I had some fun playing it, but it's become a dust collector recently.
Trivial pursuit is still fun to break out when guests are over.
Anybody remember the old microgames? Chitin, Ogre, Boppers?:confused:

M

Majikthise

Majikthise said:
Risk has always been one of my top picks, in any of it's incarnations. I have Heroscape and my 9 year old daughter and I had some fun playing it, but it's become a dust collector recently.

Anybody remember the old microgames? Chitin, Ogre, Boppers?:confused:

Around Thanksgiving my daughter was bored so I broke out Heroscape again. This time we played with the advanced rules and we are hooked. My daughter rushes to get her homework done every night so we can get in a game.
Tammy got sick of us cluttering up the dining room table every night and the cats would wreck any games we left to finish the next day. So I cleaned up the basement and buillt a special table to play on.
My daughter and I spend a lot of time together now playing and searching the stores for new expansion sets. I've already dropped a couple of hundred bucks on this game and we still have more sets to find. But the fun we have has been worth every penny. Plus it gives her a break from the video games.:D
I like the fact that many of the characters come from various periods in actual history. WW2 grunts, Roman legions, samurai ,vikings and minutemen clash with orcs, dragons, aliens, cyborgs and Matrix-like agents in Valhalla , brought from their own times and worlds to fight for Valkyrie generals. It sparks a lot of discussions on history and requires stategy and imagination.
This one is a winner.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Majikthise said:
I like the fact that many of the characters come from various periods in actual history. WW2 grunts, Roman legions, samurai ,vikings and minutemen clash with orcs, dragons, aliens, cyborgs and Matrix-like agents in Valhalla , brought from their own times and worlds to fight for Valkyrie generals. It sparks a lot of discussions on history and requires stategy and imagination.
This one is a winner.

I'm gonna have to check with my wargaming buds on this one. Sounds like it could be a blast.

For cards, we usually play spades, canasta, or "hand and food" (a 7-deck canasta variant)

For board games, well really they're all wargames. But some are more suited for the family.

The one I'd recommend most is SPI's "Blue Max" which is still the best air warfare game out there (WW I era). It's a great "beer & pretzels" game. You can get people up to speed on it very fast. Unfortunately, it's out of print. Sheesh, I can't even find it for sale anywhere. I think GDW bought the rights and reissued a modified version.

Another fave is "Empires of the Middle Ages." It's covers several eras of European (& Byzantine) history during the medeival period. It takes a while to play, but we just leave the table up in the office and come back to it now and again.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/911

And my favorite Napoleonic is "Napoleon's Last Battles." My favorite scenario is Quatre Bras. Alas, this one is out of print too.

For something actually IN print that's a regular board game, I highly recommend "Sequence." It's the perfect party game that everyone can learn really fast. And you can play with any number of people from 2 to how many people you can jam around a table (as long as it isn't prime like 5, 7, or 13).

If you love the regular game, spend the money and order the bigger more readable rubber mat with the game surface. It's worth it.

Any other wargamers out there???

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Quarters. :D

Slugbug and Pediddle in the car. See CX's car and be the first to punch your buddy in the shoulder. See a car with one headlight and hit the roof of the car first yelling "Pediddle!"

Now, Steve and I love to play any kind of Trivial Pursuit game, especially the '80s version of it.

Card games? "Speed" and "Spoons" are sentimental favorties of ours. :p

Peace,
Mystic

Booko

Deviled Hen
MysticSang'ha said:
Slugbug and Pediddle in the car. See CX's car and be the first to punch your buddy in the shoulder. See a car with one headlight and hit the roof of the car first yelling "Pediddle!"

We play a game in the car called "Cows and Cemetaries."

spot a field of cows - you get 1 point
spot a cemetary - everyone else loses their "cows"
spot a white horse - double your "cows"

You finish the game whenever the car stops and start a new one when you set out again.

Obviously this game doesn't work just anywhere, but it does pretty well for us on trips between Georgia and Michigan. Although Indiana has more crops than grazing land...