• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Faux appreciation of fundagelicalism

Dunemeister

I've heard a couple of times now people offering a faux praise of fundagelicals because they "take their scriptures seriously" as opposed to liberal Christians who "find excuses in interpretations." The idea, I suppose is that the fundagelicals simply take the bible at its word and believe what it says regardless of how idiotic it might sound. Although the ideas thus believed are absurd, the fundagelical at least has the moral courage to believe what the bible says.

By contrast, the liberal is embarrassed by the bible, yet as a Christian wants to retain it as part of his or her spiritual heritage. Like it or not, the bible is part and parcel of the religion. And so the liberal Christian tells fanciful stories to excuse those parts of the bible that are apparently not to his or her liking or evidently false in light of modern science (e.g., Genesis 1 and 2).

Thus the fundagelical is a brave idiot and the liberal Christian is a hypocritical sophist.

I can see no reason to support this parody of Christians, but then again, I'm unapologetically a Christian (though neither fundagelical nor liberal, which is a problem for a lot of people, especially those who hold to the position I've just described).

So for all those who so hate Christianity that you honestly think that Christians fall into one of these two camps (you can call me a liberal, I suppose), tell me: How is one to "read" the following text?

+++
'Is there anybody there?' said the Traveller,
Knocking on the moonlit door;
And his horse in the silence champed the grasses
Of the forest's ferny floor:
And a bird flew up out of the turret,
Above the Traveller's head
And he smote upon the door again a second time;
'Is there anybody there?' he said.
But no one descended to the Traveller;
No head from the leaf-fringed sill
Leaned over and looked into his grey eyes,
Where he stood perplexed and still.
But only a host of phantom listeners
That dwelt in the lone house then
Stood listening in the quiet of the moonlight
To that voice from the world of men:
Stood thronging the faint moonbeams on the dark stair,
That goes down to the empty hall,
Hearkening in an air stirred and shaken
By the lonely Traveller's call.
And he felt in his heart their strangeness,
Their stillness answering his cry,
While his horse moved, cropping the dark turf,
'Neath the starred and leafy sky;
For he suddenly smote on the door, even
Louder, and lifted his head:-
'Tell them I came, and no one answered,
That I kept my word,' he said.
Never the least stir made the listeners,
Though every word he spake
Fell echoing through the shadowiness of the still house
From the one man left awake:
Ay, they heard his foot upon the stirrup,
And the sound of iron on stone,
And how the silence surged softly backward,
When the plunging hoofs were gone.
+++

Is the "intellectually brave" and forthright way to interpret it the literal way as you say the fundagelical does? Or would it be best to treat it in some other way -- to "interpret" it? Please explain your answer.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I've heard a couple of times now people offering a faux praise of fundagelicals because they "take their scriptures seriously" as opposed to liberal Christians who "find excuses in interpretations." The idea, I suppose is that the fundagelicals simply take the bible at its word and believe what it says regardless of how idiotic it might sound. Although the ideas thus believed are absurd, the fundagelical at least has the moral courage to believe what the bible says.

By contrast, the liberal is embarrassed by the bible, yet as a Christian wants to retain it as part of his or her spiritual heritage. Like it or not, the bible is part and parcel of the religion. And so the liberal Christian tells fanciful stories to excuse those parts of the bible that are apparently not to his or her liking or evidently false in light of modern science (e.g., Genesis 1 and 2).

Thus the fundagelical is a brave idiot and the liberal Christian is a hypocritical sophist.

I can see no reason to support this parody of Christians, but then again, I'm unapologetically a Christian (though neither fundagelical nor liberal, which is a problem for a lot of people, especially those who hold to the position I've just described).

So for all those who so hate Christianity that you honestly think that Christians fall into one of these two camps (you can call me a liberal, I suppose),
There seems to be a lot of resentment in this post. Anyway, I'd say that there are not two camps, but there is a spectrum. There are indeed fundamentalists and there are indeed liberal Christians, and various people in between. And then there are branches into differing beliefs and perhaps differing religions and so forth.

I don't appreciate fundamentalists. Given the choice among the two, I'll chill with the liberal Christian that is embarrassed by parts of the Bible and perhaps "cherry-picks" it any day. Such an individual is likely more compassionate and more learned.

Liberal Christians interest me far more than fundamentalists, and so I've got a thread specifically addressed to them in the Christian DIR.

tell me: How is one to "read" the following text?

+++
'Is there anybody there?' said the Traveller,
Knocking on the moonlit door;
And his horse in the silence champed the grasses
Of the forest's ferny floor:
And a bird flew up out of the turret,
Above the Traveller's head
And he smote upon the door again a second time;
'Is there anybody there?' he said.
But no one descended to the Traveller;
No head from the leaf-fringed sill
Leaned over and looked into his grey eyes,
Where he stood perplexed and still.
But only a host of phantom listeners
That dwelt in the lone house then
Stood listening in the quiet of the moonlight
To that voice from the world of men:
Stood thronging the faint moonbeams on the dark stair,
That goes down to the empty hall,
Hearkening in an air stirred and shaken
By the lonely Traveller's call.
And he felt in his heart their strangeness,
Their stillness answering his cry,
While his horse moved, cropping the dark turf,
'Neath the starred and leafy sky;
For he suddenly smote on the door, even
Louder, and lifted his head:-
'Tell them I came, and no one answered,
That I kept my word,' he said.
Never the least stir made the listeners,
Though every word he spake
Fell echoing through the shadowiness of the still house
From the one man left awake:
Ay, they heard his foot upon the stirrup,
And the sound of iron on stone,
And how the silence surged softly backward,
When the plunging hoofs were gone.
+++

Is the "intellectually brave" and forthright way to interpret it the literal way as you say the fundagelical does? Or would it be best to treat it in some other way -- to "interpret" it? Please explain your answer.
It's a poem. Interpret it however you like.

-Lyn

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
It is indeed poetic.
I am sure I have read It, or something very similar, before. ( put me out of my misery)

I think "liberal Christian" is used for want of a better word. Un-dogmatic Christian does not sound quite right. But in many case might be a better choice.

How does this grab you for an ethos

the teaching of Christ must take precedence over the doctrines of a later time, and
Christian unity is to be sought, not in the uniformity of creed but in a common standard of duty and adherence to the commandments set out in the Holy Bible.

As for your passage I quickly slipped into the mood of the piece. dispelled my disbelief and accepted it as a true happening.

It was both moving as an example of faithfulness to a promise, and the regret of an unfulfilled expectation. unknowing that both had been fulfilled.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
It's true, Christians can't win, in fact, I don't believe any of us can. :) Although I am not, I have been accused of being politically correct for some of my views. I have been called irrational, illogical, and superstitious. Christians aren't alone in this. Perfectly nice and kind atheists have been accused of having no morals because they have no religion and/or faith. I could go on with everyone but my post would be too long. :D:D:D:D (please do not take my post here very seriously)

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I've heard a couple of times now people offering a faux praise of fundagelicals because they "take their scriptures seriously" as opposed to liberal Christians who "find excuses in interpretations."

Who actually says such things other than the fundamentalists themselves?

Wotan

Who actually says such things other than the fundamentalists themselves?

I do for one. And I am not alone. Read Eric Hoffer's "The True Believer" for a revealing explanation of this mindset. It is quite modern actually and he makes a good case for that position. Sadly his prediction that social conflict would become more cruel and more ideological and more irrational has been born out by events since 1945.

Dunemeister,

I don't hate Christianity or Christians, and I don't believe every Christian falls into the "fundangelical" or liberal camp. However, I could be accused of holding an opinion similar to the one you criticize in your OP.

To answer your question, I think the poem you quoted can be interpreted lots of ways. The problem with liberal Christianity -- and I'm not saying this is a horrible problem, just an area where my opinion differs -- is that they don't *really* interpret the Bible like a poem.

Here's what I mean: No one would say, every single part of this poem *must* be true, we just have to discover the correct interpretation. After all, some poems may have messages that are not very true, or even false, or maybe part of it is true and part of it is false. Some poems may not have a clear message -- maybe it just isn't a well-written poem. Maybe no clear message was even intended or comprehended by the author. That's always a possibility. Furthermore, no one would say, there are certain parts of the poem which *must* be literally true, and cannot be interpreted figuratively like the rest of the poem.

Contrast how people interpret poems with how liberal Christians (in general) interpret the Bible. The Bible is true, no doubt; the author definitely had a clear message in mind, a true message; this is a foregone conclusion which comes even before anyone has discovered the correct interpretation. That's very different from how we approach just any poem. And, there are certain parts of the Bible that they have decided (for not very good reasons i.m.o.) must be literally true. The miracles of the Virgin Birth and the Resurrection, and the healing miracles of Jesus, contradict science and history just as much as Genesis 1 and 2. Yet liberal Christians choose not to interpret these parts figuratively. The real reason i.m.o., and not a very good one, is because they sort of feel cornered by tradition. They can surrender the literal meaning of the Old Testament and parts of the New Testament. They will be liberal Christians if they do that -- but still Christians. But if they give up the literal truth of the Resurrection and the Virgin Birth, it's game over, they aren't really "Christian" anymore, not even liberal Christian. The only reason for this stubbornness, when it comes to a few particular miracles, in a few particular parts of the Bible, is basically historical accident.

So again, I have nothing "against" liberal Christianity, but as an intellectual position, I don't think it's a very strong one. I think it would be better if we got rid of the idea that Christians *must* believe the Nicene Creed, the Resurrection, etc. It would be better i.m.o. if liberal Christians took some advice from the secular/reform Jews of today, who have kept their heritage and identity without the baggage of superstition. Jewish people don't have to believe one literal word of their scriptures and they still get to be called "Jewish" and celebrate their heritage, go to synagogue, etc. Why can't Christians do the same?

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I do for one. And I am not alone. Read Eric Hoffer's "The True Believer" for a revealing explanation of this mindset. It is quite modern actually and he makes a good case for that position. Sadly his prediction that social conflict would become more cruel and more ideological and more irrational has been born out by events since 1945.

But modern evangelicalism/fundamentalism isn't a pure, original form of Christianity.

Wotan

But modern evangelicalism/fundamentalism isn't a pure, original form of Christianity.

No and it doesn't need to be. The roots of the believer's ideology are often of no import. They may assert they represent the "pure" form of whatever they believe and doubtless think they do. But any actual analysis is rarely done. Mormonism comes to mind as a modern ideology that has spawned some fanatics who have no trouble discarding some the Book of Mormon's more odd assertions.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
No and it doesn't need to be. The roots of the believer's ideology are often of no import. They may assert they represent the "pure" form of whatever they believe and doubtless think they do. But any actual analysis is rarely done. Mormonism comes to mind as a modern ideology that has spawned some fanatics who have no trouble discarding some the Book of Mormon's more odd assertions.

Then what exactly makes more moderate, sensible believers "less authentic" than their fundie friends?

Smoke

Done here.
That's a very Protestant sort of issue. If you believe in sola scriptura, and think that Christianity ought to be based on the Bible, it's easy to make the argument that those who are the most rigidly bible-based are the most authentic.

The popularity of loud and aggressive "fundagelicalism" has unfortunately led many people both Christian and otherwise to believe that the "fundagelical" view is normative for Christianity.

Wotan

"Then what exactly makes more moderate, sensible believers "less authentic" than their fundie friends?"

I 'm not sure "authentic" is the right word here. I would prefer to describe the religious true believer as more important than the folks like e.g., DuneMan. So far as I know he has no interest in shaping public policy to reflect his religion or dictating scientific research (tho he may have an opinion on what is useful) or in controlling public school curriculum.

Religious (and other) beliefs ONLY have import if and when they enter the public square. As personal codes or ethical systems they have meaning ONLY to the believer and perhaps a handful of those closest to them. Such folk are of no practical consequence and can easily - and rightly - be ignored.

So for my purposes at least the true believers are the ONLY Christians that matter (same is true of Muslims) and the only ones worth my time and energy to even acknowledge. So to my mind Pat Robertson and James Dobson and Ralph Reed are important Christian individuals.:yes: DuneMan or Sojourner or Christine are simply intellectual curiosities.
;)

Last edited:

Dunemeister

Thanks for your responses. Here are some of my thoughts after reading them.

The main idea I was targeting is that only those who take a woodenly literal approach to scripture, and believe what they say on that basis, are taking scripture seriously. I've heard this from fundagelicals and skeptics alike. On this basis, Christians who accept evolution are accused of dodging the clear implications of Genesis 1, for example, and thus being dishonest or hypocritical, particularly when those same Christians hold to the literal resurrection of Jesus. Why, so it is asked, do you think one story is historical and the other not -- as though this question is somehow unanswerable and devastating to faith, or ought to be.

Yet these same literalists, when faced with a passage that says the earth is a circle (not a sphere) or that it stands on pillars do not immediately believe in a flat earth supported on pillars. Nor do skeptics suggest that's what these passages should be taken to mean. In these cases, the literalists allow for interpretation without the slightest embarrassment at having to do so.

Hence the poem I cited. What to do with it? Is the only good reading a literal one? Is a literal reading even to be counted as a good one? I'd say no on both counts. Why? Because of the genre. Unless we have compelling reason to think otherwise, we shouldn't take poems as historical. There ARE such things as poetic retellings of history, but we have no reason to think so in this case. And so we look elsewhere for meaning. Terrywoodenpick, for example, suspends disbelief and immerses himself in the emotional world the poem evokes. We might debate whether that's the best approach, but we'd all agree it's better than taking the poem as a straightforward account of an event.

On the last issue presented by Wotan, that a true believer is more important than believers like me (as though I'm not a true believer!) because true believers want their religious perspective enshrined in law. I DO want some of my religious perspective to shape public policy. I think third world debt should be forgiven outright and without condition. That belief I arrive at by considering the signficance of Jubilee, which I get from the Old Testament. I also want countries like Canada to enact stronger laws against sex trafficking.

I'll have to finish this post another time. My baby girl calls!

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
"Then what exactly makes more moderate, sensible believers "less authentic" than their fundie friends?"

I 'm not sure "authentic" is the right word here. I would prefer to describe the religious true believer as more important than the folks like e.g., DuneMan. So far as I know he has no interest in shaping public policy to reflect his religion or dictating scientific research (tho he may have an opinion on what is useful) or in controlling public school curriculum.

Religious (and other) beliefs ONLY have import if and when they enter the public square. As personal codes or ethical systems they have meaning ONLY to the believer and perhaps a handful of those closest to them. Such folk are of no practical consequence and can easily - and rightly - be ignored.

So for my purposes at least the true believers are the ONLY Christians that matter (same is true of Muslims) and the only ones worth my time and energy to even acknowledge. So to my mind Pat Robertson and James Dobson and Ralph Reed are important Christian individuals.:yes: DuneMan or Sojourner or Christine are simply intellectual curiosities.
;)

So by being "more important" you mean being a bigger influence/threat?

Wotan

So by being "more important" you mean being a bigger influence/threat?

Pretty much, yes.

BTW, on the literal vs poetic point, the fundies I have met either in person or on line have no problem with this. The "circle" really MEANS sphere and the supports are god's power. The "reasoning" behind this is simply that the bible was never meant to be a science book. (Ah, the irony) That it is directed at a reader whose knowledge is about 3K yrs old. Which is one of the reasons I was told NOT to go to college. "Too much book larnin weakens faith. God didn't say you needed no degree to be saved. Look at them catholics with all their books. Got the whole message all messed up by adding man's larnin to what God said."

It really IS at root an anti-reason anti-intellectual even anti-HUMAN mythology. The fundies have a good point. Modern Christianity (or "compromise Christianity") has tried to come to grips with this by massaging the message to make room for what we now know about the natural world. And they have glossed over the slavery and stoning and rape accepted in the OT by the "new covenant" idea. Indeed in many modern protestant churches the OT is rarely referred to. Partly because it is such an embarrassment to modern sensibilities.

You have to give this fundies this. In spite of all the evidence and all the hostility they loudly and proudly cling to the myth as written. They are deeply and profoundly wrong. :p

But they got guts.:cool:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic

You have to give this fundies this. In spite of all the evidence and all the hostility they loudly and proudly cling to the myth as written. They are deeply and profoundly wrong. :p

But they got guts.:cool:

Is it "having guts" to go along with the mob? Or is it a cop out?

They are frightened of their fellow religionists
They are frightened of God
They are frightened of being wrong.

Safer still to swallow, with out thought, that all you are taught must be true.
That to question is sinful.
That faith is strengthened by believing the unbelievable with out question.

It is a clear cop out.....

Dunemeister

Is it "having guts" to go along with the mob? Or is it a cop out?

Which mob?

They are frightened of their fellow religionists
They are frightened of God
They are frightened of being wrong.

Who says? This is a caricature. Most fundagelicals are not frightened into believing what they do, nor does fear prevent them from changing their minds; rather, they are simply convinced of a point of view and are concerned about being faithful -- same as more moderate or even liberal Christians.

Besides, why couldn't they level the same charge at you?

Safer still to swallow, with out thought, that all you are taught must be true.
That to question is sinful.
That faith is strengthened by believing the unbelievable with out question.

Again, it's simplistic to say all fundies don't think. I've lived among them for years. They think quite deeply but arrive at different conclusions.

It is a clear cop out.....

Accusing them of this is just a way to avoid conversation and has little to be said for it philosophically.