• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

fastest animals

Sonic247

Of course Sonic the hedgehog is the fastest of all, but that doesn't go for you're average hedgehog. Everyone knows about the cheetah that goes 70 m.p.h but the fastest animal in the world, (unless I’m wrong) is the Peregrine falcon, which can go over 200 m.p.h, but they have an excuse they use gravity. The sail fishes 68 m.p.h is also pretty impressive imagine driving next to a fish tank at 68 miles an hour with a fish keeping up with you. That would be weird.

GoldenDragon

Ever heard of the tiger beetle? I saw them on animal planet they go so fast that once they start moving everything's a blur to them they virtually go blind. Just imagine if we went that fast..

Sonic247

Yeah animals have us beat when it comes to physical skills. If we could jump proportionate to our size as high as a flee we would be able jump over a house.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Sonic247 said:
Yeah animals have us beat when it comes to physical skills. If we could jump proportionate to our size as high as a flee we would be able jump over a house.

I've heard more than that, like a football field or two.

Mavrikmind

If your ever curious about the fastest animals or the strongest. There is a show on Animal planet called " The Most Extreme " the entire show is about animals at the extreme end of speed, strength, ect. . Very interesting

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I was thinking more along the lines of a three year old human animal that moves at the speed of light once a parent's back is turned. :)

KingNothing

I possess the fastest breed of domesticated cat. 36 mph. It's no cheetah, but it's faster than any human.

For those interested, most animals run/jump at the same speed/height (within an order of magnitude). This is because acceleration is force per mass, and most animals have similar strength to mass ratios.

So if a beam quadruples your size like in "Honey I Shrunk the Kids", you can't jump any higher than before. Kind of takes the fun out of being a giant huh?

Sonic247

Hmm. That's intresting. I wonder if an ant was as big as a dog could it still lift five times it's weight (or however many times it is they can lift).

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Sonic247 said:
Hmm. That's intresting. I wonder if an ant was as big as a dog could it still lift five times it's weight (or however many times it is they can lift).

Leafcutter ants can lift up to 50 times their body weight.

Circle_One

Sonic247 said:
Of course Sonic the hedgehog is the fastest of all, but that doesn't go for you're average hedgehog. Everyone knows about the cheetah that goes 70 m.p.h but the fastest animal in the world, (unless I’m wrong) is the Peregrine falcon, which can go over 200 m.p.h, but they have an excuse they use gravity. The sail fishes 68 m.p.h is also pretty impressive imagine driving next to a fish tank at 68 miles an hour with a fish keeping up with you. That would be weird.

The Cheetah actually runs at 46 MPH, not 70 (though 46mph equals 76kph).

And the Peregrine Falcon doesn't actually fly at over 200 MPH, it dives in excess of 217 MPH. The fastest flying bird is the Spine-Tailed Swift which has been recorded in flight at 106 MPH.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Circle_One said:
The Cheetah actually runs at 46 MPH, not 70 (though 46mph equals 76kph).

They can reach speeds of up to 70mph, but they don't like to do it. It takes a tremendous about of energy and even then it might not be a successful hunt. But if it was successful, it can take as long as 20 minutes for the cheetah to catch it's breath, more then enough time for a bigger cat or hyena to steal it, and that equals a lot of wasted energy.

Circle_One

Gentoo said:
They can reach speeds of up to 70mph, but they don't like to do it. It takes a tremendous about of energy and even then it might not be a successful hunt. But if it was successful, it can take as long as 20 minutes for the cheetah to catch it's breath, more then enough time for a bigger cat or hyena to steal it, and that equals a lot of wasted energy.

:bow: Thank you for the clarification. I didn't know that.