• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fashion In The 1700s Century I Think Was Fascinating And Cool

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
But i do wonder why were the outfits so elaborate and why did men wear power white wigs and why did they go out of fashion ? 1775–1795 in Western fashion - Wikipedia
I wondered that myself. It would be quite a sight to see wigs return to Congress , but it would also be quite nostalgic as well.

Now you got people like Fetterman who likes to wear hoodies in the Congress chamber, most still prefer suits, but I kind of think it would be nice to see some retro costumes return to the floor.

Maybe it would put people in the right mood, a reminder of the past that they wear whenever they Institute policy.

I would also for important documents mandate the quill and pen to be used.

Maybe even throw in a bit of Old English.

C-span would be a lot more interesting if they did. Eh?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
This is OK for winter but in the heat of summer? I think not.

1745_VA.jpg
That's a lot of leg showing for winter.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I was also curious as to whether these wigs were machine washable. I'm still looking, but I found this in the FAQ from that other site:

What materials are legal wigs made from?

Traditional Legal Wigs are made using Horse tail hair. Recently we have started manufacturing barrister wigs in plant & synthetic fibres to create vegan and humane attire for modern courtrooms.

I also found another site regarding the thread topic:

The earliest records of people wearing wigs date back to ancient times. The Greeks and Romans were fans of these extravagant headpieces. However, it was King Louis XIV who truly popularized them in the mid-1600s.

Renowned for his impeccable fashion sense, Louis XIV was often referred to as the “Dancing Sun King.”

So, it was Louis XIV. But apparently wigs were a status symbol back in the day.

In the 1700s, wigs became symbols of wealth, status, authority, and even occupation. The term “big wig” emerged from the perception of those who wore the most extravagant wigs.

As wealth increased, so did the quality of wigs. The affluent could afford higher-quality wigs made from human hair, while those of lesser means opted for wigs made from horse, goat, or yak hair instead.

It seems the powder was used to keep them from smelling bad.

While men had various reasons for wearing wigs, the question arises: what does the “powdered” aspect entail?

The answer lies in matters of hygiene. Unlike most people who couldn’t regularly and thoroughly clean their wigs, Louis XIV had the luxury of a wig room to air out his collection, along with a personal wigmaker who washed his wigs between wearings.

To mask the accumulated odor of the wigs, owners would generously apply a powdery solution consisting of flour, chalk, kaolin clay, and natural scents such as lavender, cinnamon, and amber. This powder proved particularly beneficial for white wigs, as it rendered them looking whiter, brighter, and more pristine.

The renowned powdered wigs were commonly referred to as “periwigs” (eventually shortened to “wig”) or “perukes.”

The article later explains that the use of powdered wigs in the United States decline during and after the Revolutionary War. It was seen as a style that was too British, so it was eventually abandoned.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thread used to be spun by hand, and cloth woven by hand. Formal clothing was an expensive affair, of fine, often ornate cloth, carefully tailored and sewn by hand. There was no off-the-rack clothing. Formal clothing was expensive, and, as such, a status marker. This was further enhanced by the impracticality of formal wear. Only the rich, leisure classes could afford the idleness and restrictiveness such clothing imposed.

Lice were ubiquitous, and they need hair or fiber to breed. If you shave your head, you remove the lice. Wigs could be removed and disinfected more easily than lice and nits picked from one's natural hair.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
To top it off - a quaint custom to bring more order into the institution - pistols at 10 paces.
A little trivia

The Sen. Broderick– Cheif Justice. Terry duel was said to be the last duel fought by politictions on September 13, 1859.