• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fashion In The 1700s Century I Think Was Fascinating And Cool

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Fashion usually followed the king. The only time i can think of where it was not the king influencing fashion was the sudden popularity of the crevat.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
But i do wonder why were the outfits so elaborate and why did men wear power white wigs and why did they go out of fashion ? 1775–1795 in Western fashion - Wikipedia
I don’t know where I heard this but apparently the powder in wigs was used to kill off the lice.
I have no idea why they wore wigs. Perhaps it had to do with not being able to wash frequently and wanting to hide their greasy hair…? Yet, even bold wore wigs so more likely a question of status symbols?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
But i do wonder why were the outfits so elaborate and why did men wear power white wigs and why did they go out of fashion ? 1775–1795 in Western fashion - Wikipedia

Interesting question. What I wonder about is why there's still this compulsion to wear neckties. Why are we still doing that after all these years? If I had my druthers, I'd rather wear a powdered white wig than a necktie.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not so much for the wigs, but some of the clothing is beautiful. I'd wear it(though perhaps not the undergarments that made it all poof up).
Interesting question. What I wonder about is why there's still this compulsion to wear neckties. Why are we still doing that after all these years? If I had my druthers, I'd rather wear a powdered white wig than a necktie.
I think you oughta wear a powdered wig, anyways.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not so much for the wigs, but some of the clothing is beautiful. I'd wear it(though perhaps not the undergarments that made it all poof up).

I think you oughta wear a powdered wig, anyways.

I'd like to be able to wear t-shirt and jeans to a formal affair where it's only "powdered wigs required." Or maybe a tank top, cut-off jeans - along with a powdered wig for style.

"No Shirt, No Shoes, No Powdered Wigs - No Service!"

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd like to be able to wear t-shirt and jeans to a formal affair where it's only "powdered wigs required." Or maybe a tank top, cut-off jeans - along with a powdered wig for style.

"No Shirt, No Shoes, No Powdered Wigs - No Service!"
Do it! Make a party for it!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
So, they're available online. For some reason, I thought they were custom-made, where one would go to a place to have it fitted.

That's for the expensive ones.

I remember when i was a child there was a wig maker in Preston, I'm guessing there were more scattered about the country/world

They're still about...
Custom Wig Maker | High Definition Hair

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
This is OK for winter but in the heat of summer? I think not.

1745_VA.jpg