• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy politics - coronavirus

dfnj

In times of danger, people become far more sensitive to deficiencies in political leadership (and most people think it's pretty ****ing deficient in normal times).

In your country, can you think of any politicians that you could hand-pick to lead your country's response who would make you feel pretty confident your country was in safe hands and would likely do as much as could be reasonably expected?

I have 2 countries to choose from and I couldn't think of a single one off the top of my head.

Happy days.

I like governor Gina Raimondo of Rhode Island.

Gina Raimondo

I would trust her political leadership on any issue.

The two big failures in America, test kit failure and disinformation campaigns, were the result of the experts at the CDC and not a rogue administration ignoring their advice. I don't know if I could support the idea that another administration would have behaved differently.

4 days ago he was still tweeting **** like this, which shows he was still clueless and spreading misinformation then, can't blame anyone else for that. I'm guessing that quite a lot of other administrations could have gained a better grasp of the situation by then.

So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!

Didn't he get rid of a load of the folk who are supposed to deal with pandemics too?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
In times of danger, people become far more sensitive to deficiencies in political leadership (and most people think it's pretty ****ing deficient in normal times).

In your country, can you think of any politicians that you could hand-pick to lead your country's response who would make you feel pretty confident your country was in safe hands and would likely do as much as could be reasonably expected?

I have 2 countries to choose from and I couldn't think of a single one off the top of my head.

Happy days.

In all honesty, I can't think of anyone better suited for the job in Belgium then the person that is doing it right now.

Belgium just broke its own world record of "longest time without proper government". When the corona crisis hit, we still had an emergency government. The prime minister was a nobody (as in non-celeb) that stumbled into that job almost by accident. Somebody had to take over and that honor just happened to fall on her. Nobody really cared who did it as it was just a temp anyway, while coalition forming talks were ongoing. And as it was an "emergency government" (don't know the actual technically correct term in english), they can't do anything "new" either. It's all about already running affairs and keeping them running. So party politics becomes irrelevant, as no new legislation can be implemented anyway. So no politicians felt the need to take the seat for "their" camp. When party politics become irrelevant, the only real parameter is skill set and capability.

And I must say, I am very impressed. I feel very confident in saying that this prime minister is the best we've had for as long as I can remember.
It's an extreme breath of fresh air also, to see a leader in a democracy make decisions based only on merrit and intel, not caring at all about overal party politics, legacy, lobby groups, elections, etc.

If I imagine how it would be if any of the "usual suspects" (ie, the top politicians in this country) were running the show today... it would be bad. Very, very bad.

The political standstill of the past year, might just turn out to be the best thing that could have happened to us, in context of the current crisis.