• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy politics - coronavirus

In times of danger, people become far more sensitive to deficiencies in political leadership (and most people think it's pretty ****ing deficient in normal times).

In your country, can you think of any politicians that you could hand-pick to lead your country's response who would make you feel pretty confident your country was in safe hands and would likely do as much as could be reasonably expected?

I have 2 countries to choose from and I couldn't think of a single one off the top of my head.

Happy days.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Elmo forms the new government,

6XS5qYh.gif

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Norwegian prime minister, Norwegian health care and the fast response team of health and safety who do have the autority under this crisis does a good job here in Norway, So yes i do trust them

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
He was a consensus follower, not a leader.
I'd pick Dick Cheney.
There is a man who could get things done.
Only lawyers would fear his reign.
Following the scientific consensus is what we need.

But I'd also pick FDR. Anyone who could handle the Great Depression and WWII could easily handle COVID-19.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Following the scientific consensus is what we need.

But I'd also pick FDR. Anyone who could handle mishandle the Great Depression and WWII could easily handle COVID-19.
I fixed it.
His protectionist measures prolonged the depression (IMO).
We need someone who won't create counter-productive
unintended consequences. Of course, Cheney poses the
same problem (for reasons I won't go into now), but at
least some lawyers might get shot in the process.

Andrew Yang is a better candidate.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Norwegian prime minister, Norwegian health care and the fast response team of health and safety who do have the autority under this crisis does a good job here in Norway, So yes i do trust them

The same in Denmark. You know that you can in general trust politicians, when all parties agrees something has to done according to science. Has happened in Denmark.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
The same in Denmark. You know that you can in general trust politicians, when all parties agrees something has to done according to science. Has happened in Denmark.
Normally i do not care about politics, but since it is the situation with corona, i do listen to the news to hear what rules they changes from day to day.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Normally i do not care about politics, but since it is the situation with corona, i do listen to the news to hear what rules they changes from day to day.

Well, I read politics everyday, so I got some idea of when to trust politicians and when not. That includes the left, right and center. They all have biases.

Regards
Mikkel

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Our current leadership here struggled with the bushfire disaster recently.
I'm hoping they've learnt from that, but I don't think so.

There was a state leader from 30 years ago who I particularly disliked that I think would do a good job, funnily enough.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
In times of danger, people become far more sensitive to deficiencies in political leadership (and most people think it's pretty ****ing deficient in normal times).

In your country, can you think of any politicians that you could hand-pick to lead your country's response who would make you feel pretty confident your country was in safe hands and would likely do as much as could be reasonably expected?

I have 2 countries to choose from and I couldn't think of a single one off the top of my head.

Happy days.
Greta Tintin Eleonora Ernman Thunberg. She could come to the USA, become a naturalized citizen, run for senate. She wouldn't sit on her hands or take a bribe.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
I think if you answer this you should also point out meaningful ways in which you believe they would have behaved differently than the current politicos in charge. The only meaningful actions from this administration that I would consider variable based on politician seems to be the choice to ban travel out of China early and the about month late decision to ban travel out of Europe.

The two big failures in America, test kit failure and disinformation campaigns, were the result of the experts at the CDC and not a rogue administration ignoring their advice. I don't know if I could support the idea that another administration would have behaved differently.

Even though I am largely a Trump supporter, I am not a fan of the response. I am more than open to arguments of a more efficacious response and why you think your preferred politician would have implemented it.