• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Famous Atheists and Atheist Youtubers.

Lorgar-Aurelian

Taking a little break from my Bible reading ( honestly I feel rather different today but i'll save that for the end of the day journal) and watching a debate between William Lane Craig and Christopher Hitchens. After awhile I thought I would just ask how you guys felt about Christopher and various other famous atheists.

Personally I like Hitchens's writing style a lot. He keeps me interested even when I disagree. And let me say I disagree a lot. I think my number one complaint is the large amount of emotional arguments he makes in things like God is not great and almost every debate I've ever seen him in. Emotional arguments work much better than the straight up cognitive kind but still. His wit makes him at the very least pleasant.

Richard Dawkins has never been one of my favorites. Honestly he's better when he just talks about science than whenever he tries to tackle religion. He just isn't for me honestly, especially when it comes to politics and religion.

Sargon of Akkad is pretty much the only YouTube atheist I watch these days. For some time he hasn't really talked about religion outside of Islam and most of his commentary is political. I like that about him, he hasn't stuck to trying to talk about religion when no one cares anymore.

So what do you think? Do you have any atheists you like or severely dislike? I'll set up a separate thread in a bit talking about which apologists are popular but I figured it would be better in a separate thread.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not huge on atheist personalities/celebrities. The most famous of them tend to belittle and overgeneralize believers too much for my taste. I have read a lot of books by them, though. I do enjoy Dawkin's books which stick to the science, Selfish Gene, Ancestors Tale, Climbing Mt. Improbable. I also enjoy Daniel Denett's Darwin's Dangerous Idea and Coyne's Why Evolution is True.

As for Youtubers there's individual videos I like more than individuals. I like some of NonStampCollector's videos, some of AronRa's videos and love most of the videos by QualiaSoup (especially his video about substance dualism and his video about god-free morality and why subjective doesn't equal arbitrary.)

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I think Hitchens and Dawkins just rely on attacking the Abrahamic God concept as it has been traditionally understood. I see them as anti-Abrahamic. I have never seen that they have much knowledge in the paranormal or eastern spirituality. I do dislike their implication that attacking Abrahamic concepts implies atheism is the best understanding.

I never heard of Sargon of Akkad.

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
Matt Dillahunty is someone I follow regularly.
I feel he's most closely related with the channel The Atheist Experience.
His Debate with Sye seems to be a favorite of many people, including myself.
The video is about 2 hours long, so get ready to use up some free time if you're interested in watching.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
The Bible Reloaded is my favourite. They are often goofy but when they have to be serious they seem much more reasonable and neutral on religion as opposed to being anti theistic. Shoe on head and Armoured Skeptic were fun but they're really into the SJW war right now. Thunderfoot's anti creationist video was a good show while it lasted. Learnt a lot of Biolog through him. But he's on a crusade against SJWs as well.

Lorgar-Aurelian

The Bible Reloaded is my favourite. They are often goofy but when they have to be serious they seem much more reasonable and neutral on religion as opposed to being anti theistic. Shoe on head and Armoured Skeptic were fun but they're really into the SJW war right now. Thunderfoot's anti creationist video was a good show while it lasted. Learnt a lot of Biolog through him. But he's on a crusade against SJWs as well.
It seems like just about everyone is on the whole sjw war right about now. Steve Shives was a favorite until he went full sjw

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
ThunderFoot has been my favorite.

Through his exchanges with VenomfangX,
He's caught the attention of the likes of Ray Comfort as an adversary, and Richard Dawkins as an advocate.

He was relatively unknown who shot up into the spotlight. Great at presentation, charismatic, and from what I can tell, researches his material for accuracy.

His impromptu skills need honing in face of those already practiced and experienced, but he's gotten better.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
It seems like just about everyone is on the whole sjw war right about now. Steve Shives was a favorite until he went full sjw
Egads! Steve Shives! I used to watch him way back in the days when YT Atheists were all targeting YECs (incidentally, ever seen the old YT series How to pwn a YEC? That was fun!) How the mighty have fallen. I swear he blocks like everyone, even neutrals, on his Twitter.

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
ThunderFoot has been my favorite.

Through his exchanges with VenomfangX,
He's caught the attention of the likes of Ray Comfort as an adversary, and Richard Dawkins as an advocate.

He was relatively unknown who shot up into the spotlight. Great at presentation, charismatic, and from what I can tell, researches his material for accuracy.

His impromptu skills need honing in face of those already practiced and experienced, but he's gotten better.
OMG VenomfangX!!! Ahh, those were the days.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Matt Dillahunty is someone I follow regularly.
I feel he's most closely related with the channel The Atheist Experience.
His Debate with Sye seems to be a favorite of many people, including myself.
The video is about 2 hours long, so get ready to use up some free time if you're interested in watching.

Isn't this the debate where the guy proved he's a solipsist and then shut him down?