• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Family and Friends

I honestly can't decide which is worse....a society in which atheism is looked down upon, or one in which people hate to talk about religion/philosophy.

I honestly can't decide which is worse....a society in which atheism is looked down upon, or one in which people hate to talk about religion/philosophy.
I know what you mean. I'm very interested in religion (duh, I'm part of this forum) and I find that I spend a lot of time on internet forums talking about religion. On some forums that aren't specifically religion-orientated where I often make threads about religion, some people (almost always Americans) moan about how I post about religion too much -- what they don't appreciate is that the reason for this is because I am unable to talk properly about religion in real life.

Wow, that must be difficult for you, hartlandcat. After some thought, I think that a society that looks down upon atheism is preferable to one that looks down upon religious/philosophical discussion hands-down.

I think I'm beginning to see what my political science textbook meant when it described American culture as an "adversarial culture" compared to that of most Western nations.

MatCauthorn

As someone who has passed through a great many religious stages in his life (and who continues to do so) I would feel very disingenuous about condemning someone for their religious choices. The only time I am tempted to disapprove of someone's religious lifestyle is when they try to force their beliefs on others. My view has always been that if I want to know what someone else believes, I will ask them and we will have a discussion about it. I don't go around preaching about what I believe, so I don't feel that I should be forced to listen to someone else's beliefs.

-- Mat

The Giz

I must have a way with people because my mom's husband's brother just told his children that they can't be around me. I guess because my views are a bad influence on them (even though i've never spoken to them about religion. I mean honestly why would I?). Oh well. I guess it's just something I have to deal with for the time being. Thanks for the posts everyone.

MatCauthorn

The Giz said:
I must have a way with people because my mom's husband's brother just told his children that they can't be around me.
I'd be tempted to have an honest conversation with him and see what he fears you might say to them. It's pretty closed-minded of him to say that you can't even be around his kids for fear that you might exude some sort of religion (or irreligion) with which he is not comfortable. I can see his being angry if you were, say, preaching to his kids whenever you saw them, but this sounds pretty innocuous.

-- Mat