• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fake Meat

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Plant-based meats have made me sick. And I'm sure if I looked hard enough, I could show you a couple previous posts from me where I have claimed such.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why? Very weird.

I live in the heart of cattle country and do not eat red meat :)

If you do not eat read meat, why would you buy a product that looks like it?

Regards Tony

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I like fake meat

If you put it into a sauce or whatever you can't tell it's fake

I like fake cheese too...

But the thing is, fake cheese doesn't melt like real cheese :(

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Plant-based meats have made me sick. And I'm sure if I looked hard enough, I could show you a couple previous posts from me where I have claimed such.
Yes, me too. But you should see what percentage of talk by more recent vegetarians is about it on other forums. Scary, sort of. I find 'fake anything' sort of offish. Instead of saying, we can't get by without meat, it's saying we can't get by without the taste of meat. Well sorry, that's just false information. But then tons of processed foods also have (or sprayed fruits) have lots of suspicious chemical additives.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I like fake meat

If you put it into a sauce or whatever you can't tell it's fake

I like fake cheese too...

But the thing is, fake cheese doesn't melt like real cheese :(

I'm curious ... do you read the labels? Do you know the meaning of all the chemicals?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I don't eat fake meat, but have definitely noticed an upswing in availability. On the anti-meat bandwagon, are folks being duped? (Not that in the consumer wolrd that would be surprising)

5 Chemicals Lurking in Plant-Based Meats - Center for Consumer Freedom
I don't trust that site because what they are talking about is apparently only in some products not all of them. They seem to be promoting fear and I wonder if they're sponsored by the meat industry.

For example, one of the fake meat sites has this list:
Water, Pea Protein Isolate*, Expeller-Pressed Canola Oil, Refined Coconut Oil, Rice Protein, Natural Flavors, Cocoa Butter, Mung Bean Protein, Methylcellulose, Potato Starch, Apple Extract, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Vinegar, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Sunflower Lecithin, Pomegranate Fruit Powder, Beet Juice Extract (for color).

*Peas are legumes. People with severe allergies to legumes like peanuts should be cautious when introducing pea protein into their diet because of the possibility of a pea allergy. Contains no peanuts or tree nuts
Beyond Beef® - Beyond Meat - The Future of Protein™

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I do eat fake meat sometimes, since my room mate eats the stuff. I end up cooking for us both, so it makes it easier that way instead of making two different meals. I don't mind the flavor, and honestly it does feel nice to not eat so much meat while still getting protein. Too much meat tends to make me feel ill, though I do love seafood.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
I do eat fake meat sometimes, since my room mate eats the stuff. I end up cooking for us both, so it makes it easier that way instead of making two different meals. I don't mind the flavor, and honestly it does feel nice to not eat so much meat while still getting protein. Too much meat tends to make me feel ill, though I do love seafood.

I don't see the point. If you hate meat fake meat is just reminding you of meat, lol.

I'm OK with it if someone wants to go vegetarian or vegan it doesn't bother me, but I can't figure out how to eat healthy that way without a lot of supplements like vitamins and whatnot and that crap is expensive. You can easily supplement protein intake with shakes and whatnot and some are veg so it's all good. But, if you're vegetarian you can have dairy so much easier to just use the stuff like whey that's way freakin' cheaper.

Anyway, I just don't like "chemical cocktail" mystery science food. I mean if I was going on an interstellar mission I'd eat whatever I had to, but I'm not and we got everything we want right next to us.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I don't trust that site because what they are talking about is apparently only in some products not all of them. They seem to be promoting fear and I wonder if they're sponsored by the meat industry.

Water, Pea Protein Isolate*, Expeller-Pressed Canola Oil, Refined Coconut Oil, Rice Protein, Natural Flavors, Cocoa Butter, Mung Bean Protein, Methylcellulose, Potato Starch, Apple Extract, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Vinegar, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Sunflower Lecithin, Pomegranate Fruit Powder, Beet Juice Extract (for color).

*Peas are legumes. People with severe allergies to legumes like peanuts should be cautious when introducing pea protein into their diet because of the possibility of a pea allergy. Contains no peanuts or tree nuts
Yes, I did notice all that too. Bottom line: read the ingredient list.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I'm dropping half a pound a day limiting food intake (to 2100 or so calories a day except today, Thanksgiving), and cutting out most sugar. But keeping diet the same otherwise. But I was pretty overweight to begin with.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'm dropping half a pound a day limiting food intake (to 2100 or so calories a day except today, Thanksgiving), and cutting out most sugar. But keeping diet the same otherwise. But I was pretty overweight to begin with.
I'm dieting as well, as I gained back what I lost from cardio rehab from a heart attack a few years ago. Mostly it's the exercise I suspect. I find it easier to ride a bike 2 hours a day than to diet strictly.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I'm dieting as well, as I gained back what I lost from cardio rehab from a heart attack a few years ago. Mostly it's the exercise I suspect. I find it easier to ride a bike 2 hours a day than to diet strictly.

I don't want to steer anyone the wrong way, but for me, overeating was caused by unhappiness. I got to the root of the issue, and I now have just enough strength to kind of experience half the day with my stomach feeling a little empty (just not to the point of growling).

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I don't want to steer anyone the wrong way, but for me, overeating was caused by unhappiness. I got to the root of the issue, and I now have just enough strength to kind of experience half the day with my stomach feeling a little empty (just not to the point of growling).
Not eating can have the same cause. I once went from 200 to 150 in about 4 months. PTSD symptoms.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

That could well be. I haven't done a ton or first hand research because we don't buy fake meat. Clearly the meat industry could promote something like this.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Instead of saying, we can't get by without meat, it's saying we can't get by without the taste of meat.
I am a non-vegetarian, but well-made veg. dishes can be equally tasting on their own without trying to be meat-substitutes.
The problem is that West does not have a tradition for that.
I too need to limit my intake and get some exercise, not that I would be termed as fat. But still, I miss my old leanness.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I am a non-vegetarian, but well-made veg. dishes can be equally tasting without trying to be meat-substitutes.
Equally? I would say far far better! Where have you been? Consider a fresh ripe mango versus cooked dried flesh.