• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Faith

Ajarn

Faith is like a rock being held in a mans fist, he claims he holds a rock, you say open your fist, he say no have faith i am holding it, and you are content with that.

A Buddhist will simply ask that the hand be opened, until then do you hold a rock, maybe.

You may but without opening the hand there is absolutly no proof, faith was a word created to justify the belief in something without a shred of evidence.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Faith is like a rock being held in a mans fist, he claims he holds a rock, you say open your fist, he say no have faith i am holding it, and you are content with that.

A Buddhist will simply ask that the hand be opened, until then do you hold a rock, maybe.

You may but without opening the hand there is absolutly no proof, faith was a word created to justify the belief in something without a shred of evidence.

What is the sound of a rock in the hand? :cool:

That's what faith is, even the Bible says almost the same. I think a more interesting question is why people choose to have faith in something. Mostly I suspect is because it makes them feel good. Makes people hopeful and provides a sense of security.

Ajarn

What is the sound of a rock in the hand? :cool:

That's what faith is, even the Bible says almost the same. I think a more interesting question is why people choose to have faith in something. Mostly I suspect is because it makes them feel good. Makes people hopeful and provides a sense of security.

Believing in Santa clause made me feel good, gave me hope, provided a sense of security when i done right.

Faith made me believe in Santa Clause, without faith i would have been sensible and looked further into it.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

I respect Buddhist skepticism, however why would a Buddhist even ask? That would require curiosity. In fact on the internet you will find that this is something often missing from Buddhist practice. Its simply not relevant in Buddhism and is extra-Buddhisular, but people can take Buddhism as an entire way of life. Hence why would a Buddhist be curious about what is in my hand?

Just so you know I am not the only person who has noticed this. Here is a blog where a person argues that Buddhism is more like a technology than a Science as it lacks curiosity: some blog about stuff relating to curiosity and Buddhism They seem to think Buddhism (as well as modern Psychology) contains a "Powerful belief system that stifles curiosity" and suggests incorporation some kind of curiosity training into meditation. I can't say that I follow the entire conversation.

Not really. The word faith is an English term whose meaning has drifted over the last 400 years since its use in the English Bible began. It was a word that originally had multiple meanings, so no it wasn't created to justify belief in something without a shred of evidence. There are many people who do think that a single use of the word faith is original and are unaware that the meaning has drifted. If you ask around people will indeed tell you that faith means believing in things without proof, however it was not a term created to support that usage. You can check the original meanings by looking up the etymology of the term. There was no vile or conspiratorial venom in its creation. The meaning became lost.

Ajarn

I respect Buddhist skepticism, however why would a Buddhist even ask? That would require curiosity. In fact on the internet you will find that this is something often missing from Buddhist practice. Its simply not relevant in Buddhism and is extra-Buddhisular, but people can take Buddhism as an entire way of life. Hence why would a Buddhist be curious about what is in my hand?

Just so you know I am not the only person who has noticed this. Here is a blog where a person argues that Buddhism is more like a technology than a Science as it lacks curiosity: some blog about stuff relating to curiosity and Buddhism They seem to think Buddhism (as well as modern Psychology) contains a "Powerful belief system that stifles curiosity" and suggests incorporation some kind of curiosity training into meditation. I can't say that I follow the entire conversation.

Not really. The word faith is an English term whose meaning has drifted over the last 400 years since its use in the English Bible began. It was a word that originally had multiple meanings, so no it wasn't created to justify belief in something without a shred of evidence. There are many people who do think that a single use of the word faith is original and are unaware that the meaning has drifted. If you ask around people will indeed tell you that faith means believing in things without proof, however it was not a term created to support that usage. You can check the original meanings by looking up the etymology of the term. There was no vile or conspiratorial venom in its creation. The meaning became lost.

Buddisms certainly does not lack curiosity nor is it anti Buddhist to be curious.

We live in the now, seeking to end our suffering through deep exploration of our being.

We dont look to the sky or to others to do our work, but we can curiously look at things to help guide us in a certain direction.

Things we see, not things we are told are.

believing in God without question, that lacks curiosity.

whirlingmerc

I take the view that 'faith is the assurance of things hoped for the conviction of things not seen" it is not a leap of faith in the dark but a leap toward the light.

There is faith and there is faith... not all faith is saving faith
the demons believe and tremble

Last edited:

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I see faith is a foundation that is built on a rock. It takes the Bounty and grace of God, effort and a just search to have Faith built on a rock.

A rock in a hand can be discarded.

Regards Tony

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Buddisms certainly does not lack curiosity nor is it anti Buddhist to be curious.

We live in the now, seeking to end our suffering through deep exploration of our being.

We dont look to the sky or to others to do our work, but we can curiously look at things to help guide us in a certain direction.

Things we see, not things we are told are.

believing in God without question, that lacks curiosity.
This is abstract. You probably have statues that you chant to, yet you don't ask yourself, why am i chanting to a statue?

Ajarn

I see faith is a foundation that is built on a rock. It takes the Bounty and grace of God, effort and a just search to have Faith built on a rock.

A rock in a hand can be discarded.

Regards Tony

And only when the man discards it will you see he held it.

Faith would never have proven it.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I am Buddhist, we do not worship Buddha.

Bow to his Statue to give thanks for showing the way as a teacher.

surely you know this.
You don't perceive how the question could be asked of you, in the same manner as your question? Seems quite obvious to me.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And only when the man discards it will you see he held it.

Faith would never have proven it.

I see many have built strong faith in the way they live their lives and serve others.

Many would never throw that away and do not need for other people to praise or notice.

Regards Tony

Ajarn

I see many have built strong faith in the way they live their lives and serve others.

Many would never throw that away and do not need for other people to praise or notice.

Regards Tony
Can you tell me what God want me to wear, or what he wants me to eat, and when I should pray.

Can you tell me what God wants, i want to know.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Can you tell me what God want me to wear, or what he wants me to eat, and when I should pray.

Can you tell me what God wants, i want to know.

One must ask the source, in the Bible Mattew 7:7 is a good start;

"7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: 8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh. findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened."

The key here is that God answers in His way as to what is best for us, not always as we would expect and want.

Regads Tony

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
We know why we bow and chant to a statue however.
can you explain faith in your words.

That is still abstract. Perhaps you are asking why have belief, religious belief, that isn't just a teaching. Because theistic religion is multi'faceted, it's spiritual.