• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Faith Isn't Knowledge...Nor Should It Be

UntemperedSchism

Newly Faithful
I had a conversation with one of the ministers at my church this weekend about crises of faith and the idea that faith is a state of mind that should abhor proof and the search for it.

As an atheist I had opportunity on almost a daily basis (usually on Twitter) to argue with believers and it never struck me as odd that the vast majority of them had constructed or utilized pre-constructed and vastly complex arguments for the existence of God. In fact, the practice of religious apologetics goes back essentially to the birth of mainstream acceptance of monotheism. Defenders of the faith; attempting to use logic to prove God exists for millennia.

As a newly baptized Christian, I have to ask, why?

Everywhere in the three big monotheistic traditions the importance of faith is extolled. The idea that, by believing in something that I cannot possibly prove, I undergo a transformative experience by that very thing, is a staple of Christianity in particular. Jesus is constantly lamenting that his disciples don't fully believe or understand the scope of His power and condemns those who blatantly refuse to believe without evidence.

The fact that He makes a distinction between those who come to believe after seeing a miracle, and those who will not believe until they do is interesting to me, and sparked the discussion I mentioned up top. Those who need evidence in order to believe don't actually have faith if they receive that evidence; they have knowledge. They've ruined the process of questioning that faith requires by demanding answers. If we're right the answers will come; if we're wrong it won't matter. What's the rush?

We spend an incredible amount of time trying to find and offer proof. Whole institutions of sham science (like the I.D. crowd or Creation "Science" or Y.E. Geology) have sprung up like weeds to both bring ridicule upon Christians in general, and do tremendous damage to the intellectual development of our children; all in the name of "proving" that God is real. To justify faith.

I don't understand why there is so much blindness at play here. One of the most important commandments placed upon us by Christ is the requirement to simply believe; not to seek out knowledge, but to trust that His message was true and that the little voice that informs our experience and choices is the Spirit of Truth guiding us when we ask.

We are a people commanded to believe, not to know. Is the experience of faith not enough in itself? Isn't the process of asking the questions; trying to better understand and listen to God, not more important than expending time trying to justify those attempts to people who either aren't there yet or might never be?

You hold open a door for the person behind you, you don't spend half an hour trying to drag them through it.

Maybe if we put less pressure on ourselves to be right in the eyes of everyone else, we'd be less inclined to periods of doubt.

Thoughts?

UntemperedSchism

Newly Faithful
This method of faith would have us remain in the Dark Ages.

Not at all. I'm not advocating an abandonment of reason. I'm simply saying that matters of faith should remain matters of faith and not intrude on or pretend to the realm of knowledge. Religious faith should be a separate type of thought; a different way of asking questions and searching for connections. It's by trying to prove that faith is valid that we wind up concocting bad science and worse public policy.

Simply understanding that faith is believing something without evidence because it resonates on a spiritual level and that knowledge is a sum of provable concepts, would go a long way towards eroding the conflict between faith and reason.

If faith makes no claim to objective truth and is truly a personal experience between man and God then there is no reason for men to fight over their beliefs, or punish others for not sharing them. Faith becomes an exploration rather than a statement of certainty.

Photonic

Ad astra!
Not at all. I'm not advocating an abandonment of reason. I'm simply saying that matters of faith should remain matters of faith and not intrude on or pretend to the realm of knowledge. Religious faith should be a separate type of thought; a different way of asking questions and searching for connections. It's by trying to prove that faith is valid that we wind up concocting bad science and worse public policy.

Simply understanding that faith is believing something without evidence because it resonates on a spiritual level and that knowledge is a sum of provable concepts, would go a long way towards eroding the conflict between faith and reason.

If faith makes no claim to objective truth and is truly a personal experience between man and God then there is no reason for men to fight over their beliefs, or punish others for not sharing them. Faith becomes an exploration rather than a statement of certainty.

It would be nice if the day came where humans didn't intervene in matters of scientific advancement. We would be a lot better off.

And literally a thousand years ahead of where we are now.

UntemperedSchism

Newly Faithful
It would be nice if the day came where humans didn't intervene in matters of scientific advancement. We would be a lot better off.

And literally a thousand years ahead of where we are now.

Right?

The corner stone of religious faith is that it is describing and exploring things which cannot be measured physically; which are purely and spiritually experiential. Why then does anyone think it's a good idea to apply the logical rules of physicality to it or, even worse, use the conclusions that faith leads us to as cudgels rather than instruments of aid.

The conclusion I've come to is that people in general suck and will twist an idea to suit them, no matter how pure that idea should be.

Photonic

Ad astra!
Right?

The corner stone of religious faith is that it is describing and exploring things which cannot be measured physically; which are purely and spiritually experiential. Why then does anyone think it's a good idea to apply the logical rules of physicality to it or, even worse, use the conclusions that faith leads us to as cudgels rather than instruments of aid.

The conclusion I've come to is that people in general suck and will twist an idea to suit them, no matter how pure that idea should be.

Personally I think pantheists have the best idea, faith TELLS them to commit to science.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Personally I think pantheists have the best idea, faith TELLS them to commit to science.

I am not sure where you are getting this in this day and age. I am a Christian and I enjoy science, I always got an A in my science classes and I have read books by scientists like Carl Sagan (no biggie, but I am trying to make a point). I can separate my faith from science- they are two totally different things. I don't see how they have to be at odds with each other, since they are totally different.

Photonic

Ad astra!
I am not sure where you are getting this in this day and age. I am a Christian and I enjoy science, I always got an A in my science classes and I have read books by scientists like Carl Sagan (no biggie, but I am trying to make a point). I can separate my faith from science- they are two totally different things. I don't see how they have to be at odds with each other, since they are totally different.

Creationism.

I personally have absolutely no problem with religion as long as it does not interfere.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Creationism.

I personally have absolutely no problem with religion as long as it does not interfere.

I don't understand. I went to high school more than 30 years ago, and I was taught the Big Bang Theory and basic evolution. We all were and the majority of the students were proclaimed Christians. No one ever protested learning this, at least not in my presence. On top of that, how on earth would it effect you if someone did believe in creationism?

Photonic

Ad astra!
I don't understand. I went to high school more than 30 years ago, and I was taught the Big Bang Theory and basic evolution. We all were and the majority of the students were proclaimed Christians. No one ever protested learning this, at least not in my presence. On top of that, how on earth would it effect you if someone did believe in creationism?

Do you live in the US?

Says you live in CA, I am not sure how you can live in the US without knowledge that they consistently try to enforce creationism in science classes.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Do you live in the US?

Says you live in CA, I am not sure how you can live in the US without knowledge that they consistently try to enforce creationism in science classes.

Small groups try, yes. And might I add, they NEVER succeed, and there's very little chance that they will succeed, and if they do, it will be overturned VERY quickly.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Do you live in the US?

I went to high school in Colorado, near Colorado Springs. They only mentioned in one tiny paragraph that some people believe in creationism but that was hardly teaching it- just mentioning it and it took less than a minute of the class time of 3 months or so. Back in the 80s. Colorado Springs was very conservative, too. Maybe you notice it more because it drives you crazy to see it just for a second or something. But even if they did teach it (which I don't think they should, religion doesn't belong in a science class), why would it matter, they couldn't make you believe it. I was taught a lot of things that I didn't agree with, we all are.

Skwim

Veteran Member
UntemperedSchism said:
Faith Isn't Knowledge...Nor Should It Be
Kind of like saying, apples aren't oranges . . . nor should they be.

As an atheist I had opportunity on almost a daily basis (usually on Twitter) to argue with believers and it never struck me as odd that the vast majority of them had constructed or utilized pre-constructed and vastly complex arguments for the existence of God. In fact, the practice of religious apologetics goes back essentially to the birth of mainstream acceptance of monotheism. Defenders of the faith; attempting to use logic to prove God exists for millennia.

As a newly baptized Christian, I have to ask, why?
Because many arguments against faith based claims are reasoned and logical, and therefore tend to be upsetting, which prods Christians into trying to fight fire with fire. Alas . . . .

Those who need evidence in order to believe don't actually have faith if they receive that evidence; they have knowledge. They've ruined the process of questioning that faith requires by demanding answers. If we're right the answers will come; if we're wrong it won't matter. What's the rush?
No rush, but simply a failure of their religion to completely smother their lingering doubts; doubts fueled by the conflict they recognize between what their faith says is true and what their senses say is true. When a faith says its god is omnibenovelent it flies in the face of it's contention that this god also created evil. Short of deliberately ignoring such contradictions it's nigh impossible to reconcile them. The numerous attempts to do so show just how vexing the claims of faith based truth can be.

We spend an incredible amount of time trying to find and offer proof. Whole institutions of sham science (like the I.D. crowd or Creation "Science" or Y.E. Geology) have sprung up like weeds to both bring ridicule upon Christians in general, and do tremendous damage to the intellectual development of our children; all in the name of "proving" that God is real. To justify faith.
Yup. A chronic case of denial at all cost.

I don't understand why there is so much blindness at play here. One of the most important commandments placed upon us by Christ is the requirement to simply believe; not to seek out knowledge, but to trust that His message was true and that the little voice that informs our experience and choices is the Spirit of Truth guiding us when we ask.
But for many it's not all that "simple." Like everyone else, believers are brought up in cultures where making sense is the most productive and safest approach to life. Reason and logic are found to be far better for attaining one's goals than unreasonableness and illogic, and at the base of both is confirmation and reconfirmation. Moreover, neither of these have a place in "simply believing" and "'blind' trust." So "simply believing" and "'blind' trust" have an up hill battle.

We are a people commanded to believe, not to know. Is the experience of faith not enough in itself? Isn't the process of asking the questions; trying to better understand and listen to God, not more important than expending time trying to justify those attempts to people who either aren't there yet or might never be?
Explained above. First one has to have a reason (the bugaboo of faith) to accept a command. Why should I believe just because someone has commanded me to? What's going to happen if I don't, and why should I believe that it will actually happen? Just because someone says it will? Why should I believe them? Because . . . ? There's a lot, a very lot, one must give up to accept a life changing claim without confirmation. Fear of the unknown--death in particular---is one of the keys in getting around such an obstacle. Another is the offer of comfort. In times of need people will often reach out for just about anything to ease their discomfort.

Faith, like insurance, is best sold by appealing to fear and comfort. Hardly a noble approach, but where ego, money, and self reassurance come into play people sometimes hawk the oddest stuff.

UntemperedSchism

Newly Faithful

This is all I'm trying to get at. I can be passionate in my beliefs without allowing them to conflict with observations of the natural world. Why do the two have to get mixed into an unhealthy porridge of intellectual crazytime?

UntemperedSchism

Newly Faithful
Explained above. First one has to have a reason (the bugaboo of faith) to accept a command. Why should I believe just because someone has commanded me to? What's going to happen if I don't, and why should I believe that it will actually happen? Just because someone says it will? Why should I believe them? Because . . . ? There's a lot, a very lot, one must give up to accept a life changing claim without confirmation. Fear of the unknown--death in particular---is one of the keys in getting around such an obstacle. Another is the offer of comfort. In times of need people will often reach out for just about anything to ease their discomfort.

Faith, like insurance, is best sold by appealing to fear and comfort. Hardly a noble approach, but where ego, money, and self reassurance come into play people sometimes hawk the oddest stuff.

I disagree that one has to give up anything to have faith. I have faith where before I didn't, not because I was commanded, threatened or cajoled, or because it suddenly made sense to do so but because it was just there one day. I believe things I have no good reason to believe for no reason other than that I believe. It's an odd sensation and one that caused me no shortage of discomfort initially because I was intensely anti-theistic. Any kind of seismic shift to worldview is going to be uncomfortable. But it had nothing to do with either fear or sudden negativity in my life or a need for comfort. Faith snuck up like a thief in the night and I am profoundly changed by it.

But that doesn't mean I'm suddenly more likely to confuse faith with objective truth. Faith, to me, is about asking questions and exploring paths that reason obscures; it can bring out the most beautiful inspiration or the most terrible vice, but it isn't fact. Fact, by definition is devoid of and requires no claims to knowledge.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
People are quite naturally skeptical as they mature. Religious indoctrination usually starts early, and it demands a great amount of effort to build and maintain a belief system that seems so counterintuitive. Gods do not manifest themselves except, allegedly, to a few humans that they choose to carry their message. The miracles cited in scripture just do not happen in everyday observable life. Religions splinter and schism all the time as various new takes on doctrine emerge.

Why would God value faith when most of us need skepticism to survive and prosper? We live in a deceptive, dangerous world. If we believed everything that was told to us, we would quickly run out of money and quite possibly endanger the lives of ourselves and others around us. If a god put us in a world that depends so much on skepticism for survival, then wouldn't that god value skepticism over gullibility? What is wrong with demanding evidence before investing belief in an invisible, super-knowledgeable, super-powerful being? At the very least, a healthy amount of skepticism ought to be a prerequisite to get into heaven.

Looncall

I disagree that one has to give up anything to have faith. I have faith where before I didn't, not because I was commanded, threatened or cajoled, or because it suddenly made sense to do so but because it was just there one day. I believe things I have no good reason to believe for no reason other than that I believe. It's an odd sensation and one that caused me no shortage of discomfort initially because I was intensely anti-theistic. Any kind of seismic shift to worldview is going to be uncomfortable. But it had nothing to do with either fear or sudden negativity in my life or a need for comfort. Faith snuck up like a thief in the night and I am profoundly changed by it.

But that doesn't mean I'm suddenly more likely to confuse faith with objective truth. Faith, to me, is about asking questions and exploring paths that reason obscures; it can bring out the most beautiful inspiration or the most terrible vice, but it isn't fact. Fact, by definition is devoid of and requires no claims to knowledge.

This sounds very unhealthy. There are people who "just believe" that they are Napoleon Bonaparte too.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How would Christian faith be any more valid, if evidence be irrelevant, than the faith of a Muslim, Satanist or Hindu?
It strikes me as odd that one's eternal life would lie in the luck of the draw, so to speak.