• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Faith in Buddhism

Gambit

There's faith in Buddhism. It's called "sraddha."

Faith (Pāli: saddhā, Sanskrit: śraddhā) is an initial acceptance of the Buddha's teaching prior to realising its truth for oneself. It is an important constituent element of all traditions of Buddhism, although the kind and nature of faith changes in the different schools. Other translations of saddhā/śraddhā include confidence and trust.[1]

(source: WIkipedia: Faith in Buddhism)

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I didn't know what is taken of the Buddha and that of his teachings provisionally is equated as being the same as that of faith.

see, the buddha fell short though in my opinion… he exposed the suffering, conquered it, reached enlightenment, was ordained in the here after..BUT… he still did not manage to make mass social change, neither did moses, neither did jesus, neither did muhamad,. ….. who is going to step up to the plate? and yes, i could step back, and meditate, and not focus on this reality and its illusions, but a part of me cares too damn much

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
There's faith in Buddhism. It's called "sraddha."
Thanks. Sraddha is reasonable, interesting and constructive, from what I gather of the meaning of the word.

In fact, it does remind me of what I find appealing in the Sikh practice of Langar.

It is most unfortunate that some people insist on understanding "faith" automatically as "belief in the supernatural", so such clarifications are helpful.

In fact, I'm a bit surprised that you are the one pointing that out.

Zulk-Dharma

Majority of Buddhists, especially Mahayana, have faith - Mahayana is really strong on faith that it's no different from Judaic or Christian eschatology and theology, at least in principle.

Buddha was said to be theistic and rebirth in different forms is a form of mystic faith, he also made eschatological prophesies (or rather predictions) that a Messianic figure will return in the future, he believed in a demon named Mara, there are much faith in Buddhism, but Buddha's Dharma was non-theistic, in the sense it doesn't require theology.

There are also many different tales about Buddha making miracles, gods and such.

Jumi

This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page.
This article has been nominated to be checked for its neutrality. (June 2012)
This article contains too many or too-lengthy quotations for an encyclopedic entry. (December 2014)
This article improperly uses one or more religious texts as primary sources without referring to secondary sources that critically analyze them. (December 2014)
This article may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Wikipedia's quality standards. (December 2014)
This isn't good enough.

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
Thank god someone thought to look up Buddhism on Wikipedia, all these Buddhists were getting so confused as to the nature of their practice until an open-source encyclopedia cleared things up.

On a more serious note, Sradda shares some aspects with the Enlightenment-style definition of faith, and not others. The term doesn't translate easy into English - it is also the name of a Hindu funeral ritual - much less Western philosophy. You can read a relevant passage in the Bhagavad Gita here: Bhagavad Gita, Chapter 17: The Divisions of Faith. Note that "good faith" is demonstrated in right practice. Faith which comes from passion or imagination is derided.

Gambit

see, the buddha fell short though in my opinion… he exposed the suffering, conquered it, reached enlightenment, was ordained in the here after..BUT… he still did not manage to make mass social change, neither did moses, neither did jesus, neither did muhamad,. ….. who is going to step up to the plate? and yes, i could step back, and meditate, and not focus on this reality and its illusions, but a part of me cares too damn much

What exactly does this have to do with the subject matter of this thread?

Gambit

Thank god someone thought to look up Buddhism on Wikipedia, all these Buddhists were getting so confused as to the nature of their practice until an open-source encyclopedia cleared things up.

On a more serious note, Sradda shares some aspects with the Enlightenment-style definition of faith, and not others. The term doesn't translate easy into English .

The term "faith" appears to be a good translation of the Sanskrit "sraddha".

Merriam-Webster defines "faith" as "strong belief or trust in someone or something."

Wikipedia defines "faith in Buddhism" (or sraddha) as "an initial acceptance of the Buddha's teaching prior to realising its truth for oneself. It is an important constituent element of all traditions of Buddhism, although the kind and nature of faith changes in the different schools. Other translations of saddhā/śraddhā include confidence and trust.[1] "

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I thought one want to let's go of faith to recollect with knowledge?
It's a better approach that way Imo.

Faith is like having luggage that you use to carry around whatever you like with the hope the zipper is closed properly, so as nothing spills out.
If Buddhism employed faith for understanding, then I suppose it's another venue by which the matter of faith settles well with practice then blows away with the dust upon realization.

If faith remains undifferentiated by which Buddhism is practiced, at least later on as understanding deepens, it's likely you won't get trapped by those definitions when people tout faith as being the/a precursor for Buddhist practice.