• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Faith Belief and Truth. What Is The Difference?

Evandr2

uumckk16 said:
Because not everyone who believes in God believes in the Holy Ghost/Trinity. ;)

Then allow me to rephrase my question.

"Why is it that people who profess a belief in God deny His ability to instill in us a perfect understanding of any degree of knowledge that He wants us to have?"

Why would anyone believe that God would want to give commandments and directives and then proceed to confuse us to the point that we do not know for sure what we are supposed to do?

To think such a thing is to believe that God is either a tyrant or less than omipotent.

Vandr

joeboonda

You can have 'tons of faith', but if you put your faith in the wrong thing, it doesn't matter how much you have. If you put your faith in the right thing, then it doen't matter if its as a grain of a mustard seed.

Freedomelf

I just believe that no one can know anything with certainty until they are with God in heaven. So, until then, I'm just going to try to be good and kind to everyone, and not worry about what I believe, except that somewhere, out there, there is a God who is watching me. That's the only thing I am sure of. :)

joeboonda

Freedomelf said:
I just believe that no one can know anything with certainty until they are with God in heaven. So, until then, I'm just going to try to be good and kind to everyone, and not worry about what I believe, except that somewhere, out there, there is a God who is watching me. That's the only thing I am sure of. :)

5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
(King James Bible, 1 John)

6:47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.
(King James Bible, John)

The Bible says we can KNOW we HAVE eternal life right now, by believing in Jesus, tha t he paid for all our sins. It says, all our righteousness is as filthy rags, we can be nice and good all we want, but we fall short compared to a Holy God, and need Christ's righteousness freely given to us in place of our own. We do this by trusting that what He did on the cross paid for our sins, and knowing that He rose from the dead (for there were many eyewitnesses who saw Him after He was crucified, dead, and buried), so we will know, we too will live forever with Him. The Bible is clear that just being good does not work, we must have Jesus, and if we trust Him, we KNOW we HAVE ETERNAL life.

uumckk16

Evandr2 said:
Then allow me to rephrase my question.

"Why is it that people who profess a belief in God deny His ability to instill in us a perfect understanding of any degree of knowledge that He wants us to have?"

Why would anyone believe that God would want to give commandments and directives and then proceed to confuse us to the point that we do not know for sure what we are supposed to do?

To think such a thing is to believe that God is either a tyrant or less than omipotent.

Vandr
I understand what you're saying. But again...not everyone believes God gave commandments in the first place.

Personally, I believe that the only Word of God is the Universe itself. Thomas Paine sums it up nicely...

"There is a Word of God; there is a revelation. The word of God is the creation we behold: and it is in this word, which no human invention can counterfeit or alter, that God speaketh universally to man...It is only in the creation that all our ideas and conceptions of a word of God can unite. The Creation speaketh a universal language, independently of human speech or human language, multiplied and various as they be. It is an ever existing original, which every man can read. It cannot be forged; it cannot be counterfeited; it cannot be lost; it cannot be altered; it cannot be suppressed. It does not depend upon the will of man whether it shall be published or not; it publishes itslef from one end of the earth to the other. It preaches to all nations and to all worlds; and this word of God reveals to man all that is necessary for man to know of God."

He goes in more depth than that, but we're off topic and I don't really want to get into a huge theist-vs.-deist argument. My point was just that it's possible to believe in God and disagree that God literally speaks to us individually. :)

Evandr2

Freedomelf said:

What you just indicated amounts to a self-fulfilling prophesy. As long as you think and act like you will never know anything for certain in mortality, you never will.

The sad part for you Freedomelf is you will not be able to use that stance as justification for falling short of the mark when you DO stand before God.

Vandr

Evandr2

uumckk16 said:
I understand what you're saying. But again...not everyone believes God gave commandments in the first place.

Personally, I believe that the only Word of God is the Universe itself. Thomas Paine sums it up nicely...

"There is a Word of God; there is a revelation. The word of God is the creation we behold: and it is in this word, which no human invention can counterfeit or alter, that God speaketh universally to man...It is only in the creation that all our ideas and conceptions of a word of God can unite. The Creation speaketh a universal language, independently of human speech or human language, multiplied and various as they be. It is an ever existing original, which every man can read. It cannot be forged; it cannot be counterfeited; it cannot be lost; it cannot be altered; it cannot be suppressed. It does not depend upon the will of man whether it shall be published or not; it publishes itslef from one end of the earth to the other. It preaches to all nations and to all worlds; and this word of God reveals to man all that is necessary for man to know of God."

He goes in more depth than that, but we're off topic and I don't really want to get into a huge theist-vs.-deist argument. My point was just that it's possible to believe in God and disagree that God literally speaks to us individually. :)

I agree with the idea that a person's concept of the nature of God does play a major roll on what they will expect from Him.

I understand your position and how it plays in your belief structure and I applaud your strength of character. :clap

My question was directed to those who's concept of God is one of singular intelligence, either one of three (Father, Son, and Holy Ghost) or three in one (trinity), it doesn't matter.

The majority of Christianity agrees that God wants us to act a certain way and do certain things but at the same time the divisions in teaching between these groups can be enormous. They only thing they seem to be able to agree on is the idea that God seems to want it to be void of logic and confusing.

My question was, and is, why would anybody believe that that is the way such a God would want it? I don't believe it to be true.

One of the concepts that garners me the greatest debate is that the commandments of God are ongoing and make perfect sense. understanding is a good thing and I believe our Heavenly Father wants us to understand His will without confusion. Where there is no understanding, there is confusion. That is not to say that we need to understand all the commandments of God because that would void the need for faith BUT when it comes to the basic principles of the Gospel so that they may be correctly applied, understanding the will of the Lord is imperative.

Vandr