• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Facts of Life, The Afterlife and the Number 13

james bond

This is a serious topic, but I decided to add some fun to it with the number 13.

First, the serious part. It's the way I look at our religious beliefs and differences. It is tied to worldview. Worldview is very personal because it is yours. Someone else cannot have it as I will explain below. You may share a similar worldview, but it is still not the same as your worldview. The dictionary defines it as:

" a comprehensive conception or apprehension of the world especially from a specific standpoint —called also weltanschauung"

"the way someone thinks about the world"

I would like to try and explain it. Someone who is four-years old will have a different worldview from an adult. Yet, we cannot say their worldview is wrong compared that to an adult. It may not be as complete as an adult's as a child is still learning, but my point is it is still theirs, i.e. the child and the adult.

Thus, the first fact of life I like to present is that your world exists because you exist. That is, your perception of the world or worldview exists because you exist. You have a world just like I have a world. There may be things that we share such as a recent trip to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil for the Olympics. Yet, the place where I live, the people I interact with daily, the things that I do and so on would be different than yours. No one person's world is the same as another. We can see that it is unique. Should you get ill and have to stay in bed for a week under doctor's orders, then your world stops and is relegated to your room or hospital bed. So, I hope you accept the fact that your world exists because you exist. When you die, then your world will not exist anymore.

The next fact, I would like to present is that of death. When we die, we die alone. When we die our world and worldview dies with us because it is ours and ours alone. We usually can't time our loved one to die with us at the exact time. Even then, it would still be our world and worldview from the above "fact" that ceases to exist so we do die alone. What we did in life and what people remember us for is what remains.

So, what about the afterlife? Unfortunately, there is no fact associated with it that is comprehensive so it depends on one's worldview. There's that pesky word again. It's tied to one's beliefs, one's logic and reasoning or one's experience. The closest I can get to sharing my worldview would be if we find some common ground whether in faith (belief), logic and reasoning (no belief) or experience such as we shared a life-changing experience or life-revealing one. It could be a movie or show that we watched or a book that we read. It could be a lecture or a church service one attended. There may few of these moments in our lives, but it's one that we will remember. We share common experiences. To me, the afterlife is tied to religion and science. It is based on Christianity and what the Bible says. It is also based on my investigations into near-death experiences. To someone else, it could be rebirth or reincarnation and that they will return as someone else or another creature depending how they lived their past life. That could be religion, too. They may consider it science as they have some scientific theories to back up their findings. To others, it may mean the end of life. No more consciousness and their physical body decays. What remains are what others remember of them and the life that they lived. To them, this is science.

So, that's the serious part. The fun part has to do with the number 13. Someone pointed out to me that Americans consider it unlucky because of superstition relating to Christianity and Judas Iscariot who was the 13th guest at the Last Supper who eventually betrayed Jesus. In ancient Sumeria, they developed a number system that put emphasis on the number 12 such as 12 months to a year, 12 hours to a day and two 12-hour half-days. We buy foods such as eggs by the dozen. 12 seems like a significant number in our lives while 13 which follows it is considered less important. In Asia, the number 4 is translated to mean death. 1 + 3 = 4. In the United States, we may not have a 13th floor in hotels or office buildings because it's is considered bad luck. Americans also associate 13 with Friday the 13th which is unlucky, too.

"Others theorize that Friday being unlucky predated Christianity. The name “Friday” was chosen in honor of the Norse goddess Frigg, also known as Freyja, who was the multitalented goddess of love, beauty, wisdom, war, death, and magic. Teutonic people are thought to have considered the day extremely unlucky, especially for weddings, due in part to the lovely goddess the day was named for. Later, the Christian church attempted to demonize the goddess, so that may or may not be a contributing factor as well.

However, the Hindus also believed that it was bad luck for 13 people to gather together for any purpose at the same time.

Far away in northern Europe, the Vikings of ancient times told a very similar story. According to the old Norse myth, 12 gods were feasting at the banquet hall at Valhalla, when Loki, the god of Mischief, showed up uninvited. This, of course, brought the count of gods up to the dreaded number of 13. Loki then encouraged Hod, the blind god of winter and darkness, to murder Balder the Good with a spear of mistletoe, throwing all of Valhalla into mourning, and once again providing another example of a story in history that congregating with 13 for dinner is a bad idea.""

http://gizmodo.com/why-people-think-friday-the-13th-is-unlucky-1306401570

So, whether you believe in religion, science or experience, we can all claim that we live in a crazy world ;).

Jumi

I was told 13 is a lucky number in China because it sounds like well lived life. 4 is unlucky there because it sounds like death.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
This is a serious topic, but I decided to add some fun to it with the number 13.

First, the serious part. It's the way I look at our religious beliefs and differences. It is tied to worldview. Worldview is very personal because it is yours. Someone else cannot have it as I will explain below. You may share a similar worldview, but it is still not the same as your worldview. The dictionary defines it as:

" a comprehensive conception or apprehension of the world especially from a specific standpoint —called also weltanschauung"

"the way someone thinks about the world"

I would like to try and explain it. Someone who is four-years old will have a different worldview from an adult. Yet, we cannot say their worldview is wrong compared that to an adult. It may not be as complete as an adult's as a child is still learning, but my point is it is still theirs, i.e. the child and the adult.

Thus, the first fact of life I like to present is that your world exists because you exist. That is, your perception of the world or worldview exists because you exist. You have a world just like I have a world. There may be things that we share such as a recent trip to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil for the Olympics. Yet, the place where I live, the people I interact with daily, the things that I do and so on would be different than yours. No one person's world is the same as another. We can see that it is unique. Should you get ill and have to stay in bed for a week under doctor's orders, then your world stops and is relegated to your room or hospital bed. So, I hope you accept the fact that your world exists because you exist. When you die, then your world will not exist anymore.

The next fact, I would like to present is that of death. When we die, we die alone. When we die our world and worldview dies with us because it is ours and ours alone. We usually can't time our loved one to die with us at the exact time. Even then, it would still be our world and worldview from the above "fact" that ceases to exist so we do die alone. What we did in life and what people remember us for is what remains.

So, what about the afterlife? Unfortunately, there is no fact associated with it that is comprehensive so it depends on one's worldview. There's that pesky word again. It's tied to one's beliefs, one's logic and reasoning or one's experience. The closest I can get to sharing my worldview would be if we find some common ground whether in faith (belief), logic and reasoning (no belief) or experience such as we shared a life-changing experience or life-revealing one. It could be a movie or show that we watched or a book that we read. It could be a lecture or a church service one attended. There may few of these moments in our lives, but it's one that we will remember. We share common experiences. To me, the afterlife is tied to religion and science. It is based on Christianity and what the Bible says. It is also based on my investigations into near-death experiences. To someone else, it could be rebirth or reincarnation and that they will return as someone else or another creature depending how they lived their past life. That could be religion, too. They may consider it science as they have some scientific theories to back up their findings. To others, it may mean the end of life. No more consciousness and their physical body decays. What remains are what others remember of them and the life that they lived. To them, this is science.

So, that's the serious part. The fun part has to do with the number 13. Someone pointed out to me that Americans consider it unlucky because of superstition relating to Christianity and Judas Iscariot who was the 13th guest at the Last Supper who eventually betrayed Jesus. In ancient Sumeria, they developed a number system that put emphasis on the number 12 such as 12 months to a year, 12 hours to a day and two 12-hour half-days. We buy foods such as eggs by the dozen. 12 seems like a significant number in our lives while 13 which follows it is considered less important. In Asia, the number 4 is translated to mean death. 1 + 3 = 4. In the United States, we may not have a 13th floor in hotels or office buildings because it's is considered bad luck. Americans also associate 13 with Friday the 13th which is unlucky, too.

"Others theorize that Friday being unlucky predated Christianity. The name “Friday” was chosen in honor of the Norse goddess Frigg, also known as Freyja, who was the multitalented goddess of love, beauty, wisdom, war, death, and magic. Teutonic people are thought to have considered the day extremely unlucky, especially for weddings, due in part to the lovely goddess the day was named for. Later, the Christian church attempted to demonize the goddess, so that may or may not be a contributing factor as well.

However, the Hindus also believed that it was bad luck for 13 people to gather together for any purpose at the same time.

Far away in northern Europe, the Vikings of ancient times told a very similar story. According to the old Norse myth, 12 gods were feasting at the banquet hall at Valhalla, when Loki, the god of Mischief, showed up uninvited. This, of course, brought the count of gods up to the dreaded number of 13. Loki then encouraged Hod, the blind god of winter and darkness, to murder Balder the Good with a spear of mistletoe, throwing all of Valhalla into mourning, and once again providing another example of a story in history that congregating with 13 for dinner is a bad idea.""

http://gizmodo.com/why-people-think-friday-the-13th-is-unlucky-1306401570

So, whether you believe in religion, science or experience, we can all claim that we live in a crazy world ;).
An excellent post. I agree with everything you have said. Good to know you think this way. :)

Do you wish to discuss something regarding what you stated above? The OP does not end with either a question or a topic you wish to talk about.

james bond

I was told 13 is a lucky number in China because it sounds like well lived life. 4 is unlucky there because it sounds like death.

Some people in the US think it is lucky, but I do not know where that comes from. We have a baker's dozen where some bakeries may give you a free thirteenth item of their choosing if you buy twelve items.

james bond

An excellent post. I agree with everything you have said. Good to know you think this way. :)

Do you wish to discuss something regarding what you stated above? The OP does not end with either a question or a topic you wish to talk about.

Well, people like to throw the word facts around and they do not know its meaning. A fact is something we can all use. This is not under science so gets off the subject a bit, but one of the things that made me start questioning evolution was the news articles telling me how old something was. We should know dinosaurs lived around 240 million years ago as a FACT. For example, we just found new fossils of dinosaurs that gave live birth.

"Baby ‘Sea Monster’ Found Inside Fossil Mother

The long-necked pair offer rare evidence that an ancient group that included dinosaurs and birds was capable of live birth.

By Erin Blakemore
PUBLISHED February 14, 2017

Finding a creature curled inside the belly of an ancient sea beast might not seem surprising at first. After all, the huge fossil belonged to a water reptile with a ridiculously long neck and a knack for swallowing its prey whole.

But when paleontologists took a closer look, they found that the extra fossil inside its body was no meal: Instead, the giant animal was a mother.

In a new paper published in the journal Nature Communications, an international team describes a 245-million-year-old Dinocephalosaurus fossil with the preserved remains of a fetus inside. (Also read "Jurassic ‘Sea Monster’ Emerges From Scottish Loch.")

Baby ‘Sea Monster’ Found Inside Fossil Mother

Now, you may think I'm being picky but this happens in all the time in news. In this article, do you see anything else that is peculiar to you?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, people like to throw the word facts around and they do not know its meaning. A fact is something we can all use. This is not under science so gets off the subject a bit, but one of the things that made me start questioning evolution was the news articles telling me how old something was. We should know dinosaurs lived around 240 million years ago as a FACT. For example, we just found new fossils of dinosaurs that gave live birth.

"Baby ‘Sea Monster’ Found Inside Fossil Mother

The long-necked pair offer rare evidence that an ancient group that included dinosaurs and birds was capable of live birth.

By Erin Blakemore
PUBLISHED February 14, 2017

Finding a creature curled inside the belly of an ancient sea beast might not seem surprising at first. After all, the huge fossil belonged to a water reptile with a ridiculously long neck and a knack for swallowing its prey whole.

But when paleontologists took a closer look, they found that the extra fossil inside its body was no meal: Instead, the giant animal was a mother.

In a new paper published in the journal Nature Communications, an international team describes a 245-million-year-old Dinocephalosaurus fossil with the preserved remains of a fetus inside. (Also read "Jurassic ‘Sea Monster’ Emerges From Scottish Loch.")

Baby ‘Sea Monster’ Found Inside Fossil Mother

Now, you may think I'm being picky but this happens in all the time in news. In this article, do you see anything else that is peculiar to you?
I consider the knowledge that earth is 4 billion years old as much a fact as earth rotating round the sun. Do you want to make this a creationism debate again. There is a separate section for that.

james bond

The 4.6 billion year-old earth "fact" is constantly mentioned in news articles. I'm saying why mention it if it is a fact? We already know. That's what made me suspicious. Also, did you really mean "4 billion" years? Then I would say your "facts" are off (sarcasm).

Today's dinosaur news reporting tries to lead you to evolution of dinosaurs to birds. That isn't a fact, but after saying "birds are dinosaurs" enough times people will think it is a fact.

(The truth is there is no connection between birds and dinosaurs. It's trying to lead one to evolution and birds evolved from dinosaurs. Birds do not give live birth, so there is no connection.)

Last edited:

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Bring people to your church and in enough time they will believe in your god, and maybe even creationism lol.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The 4.6 billion year-old earth "fact" is constantly mentioned in news articles. I'm saying why mention it if it is a fact? We already know. That's what made me suspicious. Also, did you really mean "4 billion" years? Then I would say your "facts" are off (sarcasm).

Today's dinosaur news reporting tries to lead you to evolution of dinosaurs to birds. That isn't a fact, but after saying "birds are dinosaurs" enough times people will think it is a fact.

(The truth is there is no connection between birds and dinosaurs. It's trying to lead one to evolution and birds evolved from dinosaurs. Birds do not give live birth, so there is no connection.)
No. Birds are dinosaurs. Scientists use an objective and quantitative system of classification whose logical and mathematical principles dictate that birds are dinosaurs, just as humans are apes and dogs are mammals.
Not all dinosaurs gave live birth. In fact most did not. There are hundreds of dinosaur eggs that show this for a fact.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Hindus have no such belief either for the 13th or for Friday. One of the moat important festivals of Hindus is Dhana Teras, two days before Diwali. It is a big market day because every Hindu will buy some utensil for use in kitchen, even if a set of spoons. Another festival on 13th is dedicated to Dhanvantari, supposed to be the divine physician. As for Friday, it is dedicated to God Mother Durga.
Then I would say your "facts" are off (sarcasm).
Better of than being lies, IMHO (sarcasm).

Last edited:

james bond

Hindus have no such belief either for the 13th or for Friday. One of the moat important festivals of Hindus is Dhana Teras, two days before Diwali. It is a big market day because every Hindu will buy some utensil for use in kitchen, even if a set of spoons. Another festival on 13th is dedicated to Dhanvantari, supposed to be the ivine physician. As for Friday, it is dedicated to God Mother Durga.Better of than being lies, IMHO (sarcasm).

Interesting.

I was thinking if I was a teacher and grading a test on geology, would I accept the earth being 4 billion years old as correct (creationists go along with mainstream science even though it is wrong)? If I accept that, then a student may say his answer of 3.9 billion can be rounded up and is correct. Next, a student who answered 3.6 billion which is a billion years off says one can round it to 4 which was correct. Thus, I would accept 4.5 billion or 4.6 billion years as the "factual" answer and mark the others wrong. That said, we will see something different in another news article. The point being if the earth is 4.6 billion years old, then everyone should know it and be able to use it without any doubt. However, this is not true of this "fact" as we just witnessed.

james bond

No. Birds are dinosaurs. Scientists use an objective and quantitative system of classification whose logical and mathematical principles dictate that birds are dinosaurs, just as humans are apes and dogs are mammals.
Not all dinosaurs gave live birth. In fact most did not. There are hundreds of dinosaur eggs that show this for a fact.

You're violating the rule you told me in a previous post. Mine was just to criticize news articles that post a transitional claim of evolution when the article is really about finding a dinosaur fossil with a baby or live birth. Eventually, people end up believing it as a "fact" when it isn't. Many news articles treat "facts of evolution" this way. Again, if it's a fact, then no need to keep repeating it.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
You're violating the rule you told me in a previous post. Mine was just to criticize news articles that post a transitional claim of evolution when the article is really about finding a dinosaur fossil with a baby or live birth. Eventually, people end up believing it as a "fact" when it isn't. Many news articles treat "facts of evolution" this way. Again, if it's a fact, then no need to keep repeating it.
I consider facts to be worth repeating. Especially scientific ones.
What was found was an archosaur that was scientifically dated to 245 million years. The time when the archosaur lived is therefore a scientific fact and relevant to the story.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Thus, I would accept 4.5 billion or 4.6 billion years as the "factual" answer and mark the others wrong. That said, we will see something different in another news article. The point being if the earth is 4.6 billion years old, then everyone should know it and be able to use it without any doubt. However, this is not true of this "fact" as we just witnessed.
According to Hindu scriptures, the universe is 156 trillion years old and has about the same time to go before the dissolution and the next creation. They do not give a separate date for creation of Earth. ;)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yeah, some thing terrible happened at that time and it seems was the breeding season (late June/early July).

Last edited:

james bond

According to Hindu scriptures, the universe is 156 trillion years old and has about the same time to go before the dissolution and the next creation. They do not give a separate date for creation of Earth. ;)

So how do you resolve this with secular (atheist) science who says the universe is 13.8 billion years old? What is the correct answer?

james bond

Haha, Can it be resolved? So why try? :D

I think we agree that beginning of life, life and afterlife is based on 1) religion, 2) science and 3) experience. It's one or some combination of the three.

Well, according to today's atheist scientists, i.e. science, they are certain that it is 13.8 billion years old (down from about 20 billion). Their numbers are not going up to 156 trillion years. Thus, someone could question what your religion says. In my case, I believe it to be around 6,000 to 10,000 years old so there is a big difference but not as much as yours. We have creation scientists who disagree with the atheist scientists. They believe it can be resolved to a theory level (80th percentile, i.e. some number the evidence backs up), even though we may never know for certain how old the earth is down 95th or 99th percentile.