• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Facebook and animal abuse

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I have recently seen a lot of blatant animal cruelty on Facebook

I reported loads but they did nothing

All I got was lame and apathetic automated responses saying they were going to do nothing

They obviously don't care

It was people abusing baby monkeys

Sickening

I bet no actual human even reviewed my reports

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Facebook must be a place very different place
from what I see. The scrap iron sites don't
have any of the drama & evil that others find.
I come to RF for those.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

All I got was lame and apathetic automated responses saying they were going to do nothing

Sickening

I don't even have Facebook. I tried it for a few days, but didn't like it.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

Sickening

Those sound like crush videos. I know making those is illegal in the US, but since Facebook is so useless, I would definitely suggest reporting it to an animal rights group. Those organizations tend to take such things very seriously. I would expect so especially since this is a primate being tortured. They can investigate it. Animal rights activists have helped catch a lot of sickos over the years. They do better than the police much of the time.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Those sound like crush videos. I know making those is illegal in the US, but since Facebook is so useless, I would definitely suggest reporting it to an animal rights group. Those organizations tend to take such things very seriously. I would expect so especially since this is a primate being tortured. They can investigate it. Animal rights activists have helped catch a lot of sickos over the years. They do better than the police much of the time.

The thing is though, I have blocked all the animal abuse profiles and such videos (thankfully) no longer show up on my feed so I don't really have anything to report

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
The thing is though, I have blocked all the animal abuse profiles and such videos (thankfully) no longer show up on my feed so I don't really have anything to report
If I didn't know better, I'd think you're more offended seeing it than knowing it's happening.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
If I didn't know better, I'd think you're more offended seeing it than knowing it's happening.
On the plus side there were lots of people in the comments expressing disapproval and educating users who thought the videos were somehow "cute"

The people who make such videos snatch the babies from their mothers and then drug them and dress them up like human children for the videos and sometimes make them stand upright

When they become sexually mature and can no longer be managed they kill them

That's why it's always baby monkeys in such videos, never adults

You can see the despair and anguish in their eyes

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Ew.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Judging from his last post, I doubt that's what @Eddi was referring to. But crush videos are a very real problem. They sometimes leak onto shock sites and social media. I sincerely hope that no one here comes across one. A life without seeing one of those is a good one.

I have seen videos of chickens being tortured on Facebook and reported them but they don't do anything. I don't think anything I've reported on Facebook ever has anything done about it, honestly. Meanwhile, I've had my original account banned forever, posts banned, comments removed, etc. :rolleyes: I've never been able to contact anyone in support, despite trying so many times. It's much the same with Twitter/X. I think it's almost all automated.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Most of the profiles seemed to be from places like Thailand where they don't care much for animals

How did you decide that "they" in Thailand "don't care much for animals"? Is this judgment based on something other than online videos and news reporting of certain incidents?

If one makes a judgment like the above about an entire country based on incidents that may or may not remotely represent the majority of the population, I can only ask whether it would also be fair to make a similar judgment of countries that consume vast quantities of meat produced in abusive industrial conditions.

If you're talking about the Thai government rather than average Thai citizens, then none of what I wrote above applies. If you're talking about the latter, then all of it stands.

As for the thread question, I would report the videos to Facebook and, if available in the country where the video took place, either an animal rights organization or the legal authorities responsible for enforcing any applicable animal welfare laws.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
How did you decide that "they" in Thailand "don't care much for animals"? Is this judgment based on something other than online videos and news reporting of certain incidents?

If one makes a judgment like the above about an entire country based on incidents that may or may not remotely represent the majority of the population, I can only ask whether it would also be fair to make a similar judgment of countries that consume vast quantities of meat produced in abusive industrial conditions.

If you're talking about the Thai government rather than average Thai citizens, then none of what I wrote above applies. If you're talking about the latter, then all of it stands.

As for the thread question, I would report the videos to Facebook and, if available in the country where the video took place, either an animal rights organization or the legal authorities responsible for enforcing any applicable animal welfare laws.
I've been told that in the political world over there animal rights is not much of an issue and that the animal protection laws there are quite poor and the authorities indifferent

For instance, if you go about in Bangkok you will be pestered by scumbags offering you wild animals to pose with for a photo - such animals are poached from the wild and subdued with drugs otherwise it would be impossible to pose with them. People do this openly and without consequence

Also, specifically regarding monkeys I have been told that many view them as worthless vermin so don't value them at all - whilst knowing that Westerners tend to like them and find them cute

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I've been told that in the political world over there animal rights is not much of an issue and that the animal protection laws there are quite poor and the authorities indifferent

For instance, if you go about in Bangkok you will be pestered by scumbags offering you wild animals to pose with for a photo - such animals are poached from the wild and subdued with drugs otherwise it would be impossible to pose with them. People do this openly and without consequence

Also, specifically regarding monkeys I have been told that many view them as worthless vermin so don't value them at all - whilst knowing that Westerners tend to like them and find them cute

I will say this as someone who cares about animals and has lived in countries with weak animal welfare laws, where any concerned person pretty much has to act against abuse individually due to the underfunding and relative scarcity of animal rights organizations as well as the lack of proper legal recourse against animal abuse:

Many people like me see abusive treatment of animals and do what we can when we can, but without a legal framework or any real legal procedure to crack down on such things, what we do is, at best, limited to individual efforts, and we keep seeing things that profoundly disgust and disturb us simply because we can only address so much abuse before our hands become tied due to legal, financial, and political limitations.

This is why I specifically responded to your statement about Thailand. I can relate to caring about animals in a country with a dire need for more animal rights laws. I know I'm far from unique or alone in trying my best and still feeling highly limited under such circumstances, too, hence my objection to painting the average citizens with the brush of the animal abusers and lack of proper animal rights laws.

Parenthetically, I don't know who told you the things you detailed in your post, but I think it goes without saying that judging the circumstances in a whole country requires much more than word of mouth or anecdotes, although they may still be representative of a subset of the population. Either way, though, what I said above stands.

I won't make any further posts on this tangent so as not to derail the thread. I hope reporting the videos to Facebook and the SPCA causes them to be taken down and leads to finding and stopping whoever made them in the first place from hurting animals.