• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

F1fan just gave me the biggest gift of all time, so

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Have you realized that the OP has publicly admitted that he will no longer be in debates due to the discourse and fighting in them? He purposely left that part of the website to avoid being ostracized by the irreligious and atheists who mocked him for his Baha'i Faith and monotheistic beliefs. And despite that he is still getting flack from people on other parts of this website. If we don't stop he is going to leave the website permanently and I don't think anyone wants that.
There's a difference between personal mocking and religious criticism. I haven't seen @Seeker of White Light really attacked on any personal level as far as I can tell. Religion criticism definitely. Just not anything personal.

I think the intent here is to silence other people's religious criticism using oneself as a lever focusing as an end to a means to have a topic shielded, so it cannot be counter pointed under personal pretenses.

Nobody is encouraging people to leave. I haven't seen it. That decision is left up to each individual and the house rules to decide.

I'd recommend doing what @Mark Dohle does. Just resort to sage wisdom in a DIr. He seems to be doing fine and without unwanted 'interference'.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
I think that lasted maybe 1 day, then he was back to the debate forums. I think he even started a few threads there. Shortly after that there was another incident where the OP said that they had attempted suicide because of what is said on RF. I really don't think this strategy, whatever it is, is healthy.

Then one of three things needs to happen.

1. He needs to leave the debates.
2. He needs to change his opinions.
3. Or He needs to grow thicker skin.

The world needs more Baha'is, so 2 is not optimal. 3 would work for all of us but if that isn't possible he'll have to resort back to 1 again.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Have you realized that the OP has publicly admitted that he will no longer be in debates due to the discourse and fighting in them? He purposely left that part of the website to avoid being ostracized by the irreligious and atheists who mocked him for his Baha'i Faith and monotheistic beliefs. And despite that he is still getting flack from people on other parts of this website. If we don't stop he is going to leave the website permanently and I don't think anyone wants that.

Except that he wasn't really ostracized or mocked. He just took critical inquiry too personally.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
There's a difference between personal mocking and religious criticism. I haven't seen @Seeker of White Light really attacked on any personal level as far as I can tell. Religion criticism definitely. Just not anything personal.

Except that he wasn't really ostracized or mocked. He just took critical inquiry too personally.

Many people take religious criticism personally.

I think the intent here is to silence other people's religious criticism using oneself as a lever focusing as an end to a means to have a topic shielded, so it cannot be counter pointed under personal pretenses.

Nobody is encouraging people to leave. I haven't seen it. That decision is left up to each individual and the house rules to decide.

While this is probably the case I haven't seen malfeasance from the OP and would not like to think that he trying to sabotage the website.

Twilight Hue

The world needs more Baha'is, so 2 is not optimal. 3 would work for all of us but if that isn't possible he'll have to resort back to 1 again.
I vote 3. Definitely 3.

It's why medicine balls exist.

Side note: I just want @Seeker of White Light to be conditioned for toughness and resilience. A compassionate wish methinks. Helps ya survive. ;0]

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Many people take religious criticism personally.

While this is probably the case I haven't seen malfeasance from the OP and would not like to think that he trying to sabotage the website.
It's a classic tactic akin to holding one's breath till they are blue in the face to have something go a desired way.

Life dosent always quite work that way. I got the bumps and bruises to prove it, so I just batten down the hatches and weather the storms. "0]

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש

Well, I'm not sure I agree. You may be right, but, it seems to me that the worst things that gets said in debates are:
  • Your belief is irrational
  • Your scripture contradicts itself
  • Your scripture/God is immoral
That's it. All the criticisms fall into one of these three catagories. Acknowledging and understanding the reasons for these three criticisms takes the sting out of hearing it in a debate. Acknowledging and understanding the opposition, imo, requires interaction not silence.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Thank you @Exaltist Ethan you know, i have said many times i going to leave, a few times i left, but because of the good people in RF, i keep coming back for more :)
After my experience today of speaking to/with God, i have a new strength within me. And a wish to stay in RF to be who I am, no matter if people say things to me, or about me. It is their words, not mine.

There will always be people who disagree with me, and i have to accept that and just leave them alone.

Just as @dybmh said, will i manage to stay calm? And not get angry again.

Well time will tell. If God stay on my side i can do it.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Well, I'm not sure I agree. You may be right, but, it seems to me that the worst things that gets said in debates are:
  • Your belief is irrational
  • Your scripture contradicts itself
  • Your scripture/God is immoral
That's it. All the criticisms fall into one of these three catagories. Acknowledging and understanding the reasons for these three criticisms takes the sting out of hearing it in a debate. Acknowledging and understanding the opposition, imo, requires interaction not silence.
There is a reason why i ignore KWED.....but no need to ripp up in that now

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
will i manage to stay calm? And not get angry again.

Well time will tell
Anger results from a lack of control or a lack of empowerment. Coming onto RF and not being able to have the conversations you want, not being able to stop the criticisms and percieved misrepresentations of religion can be infuriating if you stay silent and do nothing. I think the way you've been responding directly to those who challenge you is a good idea, because then you're not powerless, you're doing something. Even when you respond simply by restating your own view, or by emmulating your values, that is a good thing. You're role modeling, you're supporting like-minded people, and guests who are reading the threads will see your point of view along side the opposition. This is empowering, and helps to prevent anger.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
It's a classic tactic akin to holding one's breath till they are blue in the face to have something go a desired way.

Life dosent always quite work that way. I got the bumps and bruises to prove it, so I just batten down the hatches and weather the storms. "0]
Have you ever gotten a baseball bat in your face with full force before?
I have, and the critique of religion (not only the one i follow) hurt just as much as the baseball bat in my face.

But i am still here, still standing and stronger than before.

Now you know why i was fighting back.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Anger results from a lack of control or a lack of empowerment. Coming onto RF and not being able to have the conversations you want, not being able to stop the criticisms and percieved misrepresentations of religion can be infuriating if you stay silent and do nothing. I think the way you've been responding directly to those who challenge you is a good idea, because then you're not powerless, you're doing something. Even when you respond simply by restating your own view, or by emmulating your values, that is a good thing. You're role modeling, you're supporting like-minded people, and guests who are reading the threads will see your point of view along side the opposition. This is empowering, and helps to prevent anger.
Thank you @dybmh

If and when i reply in discussion or debate, it will always contain my belief, my faith and my understanding of religion. When others attack me, or others for holding a religious belief, they are attacking something personal to an other human being. But when one answering them back "attacking" them oh that hurt them and it fires them up.

But by staying silent, they have nothing to gain, nothing to build their case on. Yes it still going to hurt to read it. But if they cant attack and even mock, then you take away their weapon.

Gargovic Malkav

I have, and the critique of religion (not only the one i follow) hurt just as much as the baseball bat in my face.

I think this reveals more about your own sensitivity and preoccupation with your own feelings and desires than it necessarily reveals about your ability to empathize with others...

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש

But i am still here, still standing and stronger than before.

Now you know why i was fighting back.
Just like everyone, your reactions are the result of your unique life experiences and hardships. Those who do not have those experiences will not react the same way. If your life has been much much harder than most, your reactions will be very very different than most. Realizing this is a good thing, because the injustices which you perceive are not perceived as injustice to others. That means you don't need to fight against it as hard.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Thank you @dybmh

If and when i reply in discussion or debate, it will always contain my belief, my faith and my understanding of religion. When others attack me, or others for holding a religious belief, they are attacking something personal to an other human being. But when one answering them back "attacking" them oh that hurt them and it fires them up.

But by staying silent, they have nothing to gain, nothing to build their case on. Yes it still going to hurt to read it. But if they cant attack and even mock, then you take away their weapon.
You're welcome. I've found that acknowledging and understanding the opposition also stops the attacks and the mocking. That's what works for me. If you think staying silent will work for you, so be it.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I think this reveals more about your own sensitivity and preoccupation with your own feelings and desires than it necessarily reveals about your ability to empathize with others...
Am i sensible? Yes i am
Reason? Had to fight all my life to survive. Being looked down at because i hold a belief. You already know about the 12 years i was bullied as a child....i could go on but i think you understand :) life has given me a challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.