• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Exploring Theisms: Transcendence

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.
Could you explain that a bit more? Fractal means patterns being repeated at progressively smaller levels, but I'm not sure how this relates to ideas of God and self.
God is conscious-energy. Thoughts replicate, divide, just like cells. It is all about replication and then division. Thoughts follow previous thoughts and are shaped by those previous thoughts. So God as a conscious Self, acts in a fractal way. All thoughts not relevant or in error are thrown out. They replicate what has gone before and do the same again. The process is on going, infinite. This is how I see a holographic fractal consciousness of God. It is many fold and eventually ends up as us in this realm (though there are many others)

Blackmarch

W'rkncacntr
It's been a while since I created another one of these threads, and it's high time that I do so. I think I've covered most of the major theistic ideas regarding the "how many gods are there?" question, so let's move on from that and look at how various peoples conceptualize the attributes of the gods.

The first attribute some believe of gods is that of transcendence. As it pertains to the idea of gods, transcendence is defined by the Oxford English Dictionary as follows:

The idea of divine transcendence is a hallmark of the most widely-held understanding of the gods in the contemporary era: classical monotheism. That understanding of god (or more properly, God) sees divinity and our material universe as categorically distinct from one another. This idea has a broad spectrum of other theological implications, and I'd like us to take some time to explore that for a while.

What do you think about the idea of god(s) being transcendent? Is your understanding of god(s) transcendent? How does that influence other ideas within your theology or impact your religious practices? For example, how do you go about connecting with and knowing a transcendent god? Is it even possible, or is it meant to represent eternal mystery and the unknown?
for how many Gods are there? i'd vote that many exist (but I would also assert that only one can pull off the perfection of humanity). ascension or transcendance has merit- progression is a pretty fundamental force and/or philosophy... Until one becomes all knowing and capable of using all that knowledge i'd have to say an individual is either progressing or regressing.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
When I think of transcendence, I don't envision something being "outside" of the universe, but rather, on a "higher" dimensional level of it. It's probably all matter, just resonating to different frequencies, to put it one way. Transcendent beings are really just interdimensional beings that are able to transverse different dimensions/planes/realms at will. It's like how the souls of the dead are existing in another realm but can still contact those living in this realm.

When you are involved in ritual, prayer, meditation, what have you, you're just trying to enter into a mindstate that is able to piece the barriers of this realm and contact the energies and/or beings of another.

That's how I look at the notion of transcendence, anyway.

lovemuffin

τὸν ἄρτον τοῦ ἔρωτος
I think in a most basic sense it just means "outside", the "other". I am aware that my "I" is not all that there is, that there is something outside of me, that the world is a "given", and thus a gift. I perceive that this "outside" is greater than my "I", that I belong to it. This to me is the first impetus towards religious worship and devotion, understood not as something commanded but as a spontaneous act of awe before the mystery of the greatness of this "other". Especially in the context of ancient religion in which people perhaps lived more "face to face" with that awe and with the world, without as many of the intermediaries of technology and artifice.

At the same time, I discover that "something" inside as well. Transcendence and Immanence are like poles that are intrinsically related. A purely transcendent God would make no sense, we could have no experience of such a thing whatsoever. A purely immanent concept of deity runs the risk of falling into some pure egoism, pure solipsism. I discover that the Whole which is entirely beyond me is nevertheless also present to me. Interior intimo meo, "my innermost self", Augustine said. "An invisible and subtle essence is the Spirit of the whole universe. That is Reality. That is Truth. That thou art." as the Upanishad says.

OurCreed

There is no God but Allah
There's another thread I made in this area for that. This thread is for exploring transcendence as a possible attribute of gods.

I understand, but if we are going to indulge in any topic, all terms must be defined.

It's impossible to give an explanation of transcendence if we do not know the 'subject' of what is being transcended.

The word 'god' or 'gods' has infinite meanings and can be attributed to anyone or anything. Catch my drift?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I understand, but if we are going to indulge in any topic, all terms must be defined.

It's impossible to give an explanation of transcendence if we do not know the 'subject' of what is being transcended.

The word 'god' or 'gods' has infinite meanings and can be attributed to anyone or anything. Catch my drift?

I'm sorry, but as I said, this thread is for exploring the idea of transcendence as it pertains to gods - whatever that word might mean. It would entirely defeat the point of the "Exploring Theisms" series for me to be imposing some singular idea of what gods are onto the discussion. If you wish to participate, define gods (or god or God as it may be) however you want to. Even better, explore it from the angle of other god-concepts!

I'm sorry, but as I said, this thread is for exploring the idea of transcendence as it pertains to gods - whatever that word might mean. It would entirely defeat the point of the "Exploring Theisms" series for me to be imposing some singular idea of what gods are onto the discussion. If you wish to participate, define gods (or god or God as it may be) however you want to. Even better, explore it from the angle of other god-concepts!
The way I comprehend transcendence is by the following analogy. As the human being is relationally( in its capability/nature) to the single celled simple organism, that type of relationship is what the higher power holds to us humans as creatures. Above/Over.