• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Exodus is a myth

Merlin

one of the things that almost certainly did not happen as quoted in the Bible is the Exodus.

dan

Merlin said:
one of the things that almost certainly did not happen as quoted in the Bible is the Exodus.
Where is your proof that it "most certainly did not happen"?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
dan said:
No proof, but abundant evidence. I would be glad to discuss it with you, but first I need a date. So, Dan, when is this Exodus of yours?

dan

Jayhawker Soule said:
No proof, but abundant evidence. I would be glad to discuss it with you, but first I need a date. So, Dan, when is this Exodus of yours?
No one can be certain. What is this "abundant evidence"?

Merlin

dan said:
Not mentioned in any history of the day. 10s of 1000s of people leaving the premier country of the world would have been noticed.

It has been calculated that if they marched 4 wide, it would have taken 12 months for them to pass any one point.

What would any country do if 90% of its workforce left in one go. etc

standing_on_one_foot

Certainly I don't think it happened exactly as the Torah spells it out. But that doesn't necessarily mean that something which, when retold over centuries, led to the story as we have it today didn't ever happen.

JerryL

There's not really any evidence of the Jews being slaves in Egypt at all.

I'm going with the speculation that the Jews are the Hittites. It fits from what I know, though it may turn out wrong.

jonny

Merlin said:
Not mentioned in any history of the day. 10s of 1000s of people leaving the premier country of the world would have been noticed.

It has been calculated that if they marched 4 wide, it would have taken 12 months for them to pass any one point.

Perhaps the numbers are inflated? It could be that what seemed like 10s of 1000s of people was really a lot fewer.

dan

Merlin said:

Well, a country so concerned with its strength, stability and intimidation factor might be a little hesitant to broadcast such an event, but I'm not saying that's what is going on.

I will say this, however: most of ancient Egypt's history is still underground or untranslated. It is way to early to start drawing conclusions like that.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
ah but Egyptions were fond of writting down bits of political commentary... very few pharos and other powerful figures are without written 'graphiti' about thier rules.

one very notable piece of political editoralism is against the pharo Hetchestup... showing her um... having relations with her minister of state. Questioning her indipendance... :cool:

I highly doubt that plauges and the dissapearance of a significant part of the population would go unrecorded.

wa:do

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
dan said:
Well, a country so concerned with its strength, stability and intimidation factor might be a little hesitant to broadcast such an event, ...
This is a worthless argument born of a marriage between naivete and desperation.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
standing_on_one_foot said:
But that doesn't necessarily mean that something which, when retold over centuries, led to the story as we have it today didn't ever happen.
Of course. Furthermore, there are a number of clues about what in fact did happen, and the possibility exists that we may be able to construct a valid picture of Israelite ethnogenesis, but it is a history that has little in common with the politically inspired fable.

dan

Jayhawker Soule said:
This is a worthless argument born of a marriage between naivete and desperation.
Which is why I stated immediately afterwards that I wasn't pushing it as a valid argument.

jonny

Jayhawker Soule said:
Of course. Furthermore, there are a number of clues about what in fact did happen, and the possibility exists that we may be able to construct a valid picture of Israelite ethnogenesis, but it is a history that has little in common with the politically inspired fable.
Care to enlighten us? This sounds interesting.

Merlin

standing_on_one_foot said:
Certainly I don't think it happened exactly as the Torah spells it out. But that doesn't necessarily mean that something which, when retold over centuries, led to the story as we have it today didn't ever happen.
Is that just another way of saying the story is not true?

Merlin

jonny said:
Care to enlighten us? This sounds interesting.
Ho 11:1 When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son

A single individual was called out?? Who was it? Is this the Exodus?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Merlin said:
Ho 11:1 When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son

A single individual was called out?? Who was it? Is this the Exodus?
Good grief! :banghead3

Deut 13:1

Jayhawker Soule said:
You guys realize the 400 years of exile started with Isaac?