• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Excuses, excuses

LightofTruth

Could you please parse for us the exact
difference between "command" and, "demand"?

Be sure to include in the analysis the original
language as, you know, dictated by "god". :D
A covenant is an agreement made by God with His people. His people agreed to the demands of that covenant. So, God expects/demands that they adhere to what they agreed. There is nothing wrong with that.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I explained my approach and why I take that approach, which "works" for me but not necessarily you. I can accept that.

Well, that's the thing....
It seems to me that we both use the exact same approach.

The only difference, is that after *I* reach my conclusion, I don't look in the bible to see if it agrees with my conclusion - only to then ignore the bible if it doesn't.

When making moral evaluations about pretty much anything (including the bible stories), it seems we use the exact same toolbox: reason and knowledge of the world, which informs us about consequences of actions and decisions, and together, that informs our moral judgement.

Se la vie.

It's actually "C'est la vie" ;-)

LightofTruth

That still doesn't solve the clear contradiction between a vow on the one hand (the freewill expression of an individual that says "i love you") and the demand on the other ("you MUST love me").

Demanding to be loved, makes zero sense and actually shows that the author doesn't even understand what love is.
There is nothing wrong with making a covenant/agreement in which you demand love from them. It is only demanding the best from them towards you. If you agree. which the Jewish people did agree to the demands of the agreement..

A Vestigial Mote

It seems you fail to recognize that marriage is a type of contract. It's an agreement between to people that they will love each other.Therefore the agreement is that "I will love you" and "you will love me"
If you say so. This is not, at all, what I expect from my wife, however. First and foremost, I love her. I do not expect her love in return, the fact that she loves me is on her own terms - NOT MINE.

Audie

Veteran Member
Do you understand what a covenant is? apparently not.

Actually, I have a better command of English than you do.
There is much "apparent" to you that is not so.*

Speaking of command-
Have you addressed the difference between
"command" and "demand"?

Also, while working on your English, maybe you
can explain the sense of a command or demand
for something that can only exist if freely given.

*Let's take a guess... is it "apparent" to you
that there really was a Noah's ark? :D

syo

If the Biblical god character exists and is as evil as that book depicts as being , why do some believers make excuses for its disgusting behaviour?
The christian religion is the most confusing religion. I have trouble to understand the christian God. I don't even know if he is 'evil' as you suggest. :confused:

How do you know if he is evil???

A Vestigial Mote

There is nothing wrong with demanding love. It would be foolish to marry someone unless you demanded they love you. That's part of the agreement in marriage.
Love is the greatest thing there is, so demanding someone to love you is only expecting the greatest thing from them.
And therein lies the problem - the moment you "expect" it from them is likely the same moment you don't think you have to work to keep it going, or to continue to earn that love. You just expect that the other will give it to you. It is a very poor attitude to take toward love. You love someone because YOU want to. Not because they expect you to. Why does this not seem to make sense to you?

Audie

Veteran Member
That still doesn't solve the clear contradiction between a vow on the one hand (the freewill expression of an individual that says "i love you") and the demand on the other ("you MUST love me").

Demanding to be loved, makes zero sense and actually shows that the author doesn't even understand what love is.

MAYBE lighto just has a confused way of saying
that love has to be mutual.

If I love a guy and he does not love me, well, then
it is over. There is no demand that can be made
on his emotions.

Our friend may not have much experience in life.

LightofTruth

If you say so. This is not, at all, what I expect from my wife, however. First and foremost, I love her. I do not expect her love in return, the fact that she loves me is on her own terms - NOT MINE.
Many people still make marriage vows. And they still have witnesses to those vows. Each person agrees to love the other in front of witnesses who even sign the contract.
Now, if you enter a contract, don't you expect the other party to adhere to their part of it? Certainly you do.

Audie

Veteran Member
The christian religion is the most confusing religion. I have trouble to understand the christian God. I don't even know if he is 'evil' as you suggest. :confused:

How do you know if he is evil???

"HE" is a character in a novel!!!!

"His" behaviour, as described in the novel
is sometimes gentle and loving, sometimes
that of a psycho.

Of course it is confusing!

LightofTruth

And therein lies the problem - the moment you "expect" it from them is likely the same moment you don't think you have to work to keep it going, or to continue to earn that love. You just expect that the other will give it to you. It is a very poor attitude to take toward love. You love someone because YOU want to. Not because they expect you to. Why does this not seem to make sense to you?
Love shows itself in action.

Audie

Veteran Member
Many people still make marriage vows. And they still have witnesses to those vows. Each person agrees to love the other in front of witnesses who even sign the contract.
Now, if you enter a contract, don't you expect the other party to adhere to their part of it? Certainly you do.

All very true, but irrelevant to the weird and utterly
wrong concept of DEMANDING love!

LightofTruth

Actually, I have a better command of English than you do.
There is much "apparent" to you that is not so.*

Speaking of command-
"command" and "demand"?

Also, while working on your English, maybe you
can explain the sense of a command or demand
for something that can only exist if freely given.

*Let's take a guess... is it "apparent" to you
that there really was a Noah's ark? :D
Scoffer!

A Vestigial Mote

And when they don't adhere to their part of it? What do you do? Do you simply allow them to command you to continue to love them? If they aren't holding up their end of the contract, then what do you do? Do you just toe the line and stay under the command to love them? Do you? And is this "love" that you are commanded to uphold really "love" at all? Is it? Is it sincere at that point, when all you are doing is meeting an obligation? You've dug yourself quite a hole here... is it cold down there?

Audie

Veteran Member
A covenant is an agreement made by God with His people. His people agreed to the demands of that covenant. So, God expects/demands that they adhere to what they agreed. There is nothing wrong with that.

There is something wrong with an "answer" that in
no way addresses the question. Is it "apparent" that
you cannot answer the question?

Do you wish to try? Here is is again.

Speaking of command-
"command" and "demand"?

LightofTruth

And when they don't adhere to their part of it? What do you do? Do you simply allow them to command you to continue to love them? If they aren't holding up their end of the contract, then what do you do? Do you just toe the line and stay under the command to love them? Do you? And is this "love" that you are commanded to uphold really "love" at all? Is it? Is it sincere at that point, when all you are doing is meeting an obligation? You've dug yourself quite a hole here... is it cold down there?
Human beings strive for perfection but fall short. they fall short of perfect ideals. Like the perfect ideal of loving each other.
Some will repent and want another chance. Some will not forgive.