• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Excuses, excuses

JJ50

If the Biblical god character exists and is as evil as that book depicts as being , why do some believers make excuses for its disgusting behaviour?

Wasp

Because they were told the book is the corner stone of their faith.
Some go looking for other books and other faiths, some claim they can obey God by simply... Having a spiritual connection to Him.. :confused: And others hold on to the book or reject God.

Perhaps due to sociopsychological reasons people tend to hold on to the book?

Wasp

It would be like Hitler telling people to love him.
Have you noticed that you describe God as very much human-like, while some consider Him to be beyond our understanding. You seem to put lot of negative characteristics of people onto God as if He was like us.

JJ50

Have you noticed that you describe God as very much human-like, while some consider Him to be beyond our understanding. You seem to put lot of negative characteristics of people onto God as if He was like us.

We have no idea what god is like if it exists, which is unlikely. The Biblical god has all the worst of human characteristics, and is more than like a human creation.

Wasp

We have no idea what god is like if it exists, which is unlikely.
I feel, maybe I'm wrong, that the reason you think He most likely doesn't exist is because you assume certain characteristics to Him.

LightofTruth

Why would people who claimed to be followers of God's way stray from His way to follow the ways of man?

If I were God I wouldn't be to happy about that. In fact, I might even be so angry as to destroy man altogether.

Audie

Veteran Member

All you have to do is read the book, the horror show is
right there, all of it the word of god.*
Trying to turn that around and blame the person who
reads what it says is just weird.

*that is what some people claim anyway.

Audie

Veteran Member
I feel, maybe I'm wrong, that the reason you think He most likely doesn't exist is because you assume certain characteristics to Him.

You would not find one atheist on planet
earth who thinks like that, unless the
"certain characteristic" would
be that it exists at all.

Wasp

You would not find one atheist on planet
earth who thinks like that, unless the
"certain characteristic" would
be that it exists at all.
I thought the OP is an atheist. I find the argument contradicting itself. "we don't know what god is like, but He can't exist because of what he'd be like if he did."

Audie

Veteran Member
I thought the OP is an atheist. I find the argument contradicting itself. "we don't know what god is like, but He can't exist because of what he'd be like if he did."

The OP says nothing of the sort. Nor even remotely.

If you read the bible as upside down and backwards as that
you must have some very odd ideas of what it says!

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Why would people who claimed to be followers of God's way stray from His way to follow the ways of man?

Seeing as how man's way seems to be steering away from practices like slavery and persecution of homosexuals, while god's way is fine with both, I'ld say that clearly man's way is morally and ethically superior.

If I were God I wouldn't be to happy about that. In fact, I might even be so angry as to destroy man altogether.

Well, isn't that just "perfectly just, benevolent and loving" and not petty at all!

:rolleyes:

JJ50

The OP says nothing of the sort. Nor even remotely.

If you read the bible as upside down and backwards as that
you must have some very odd ideas of what it says!

Thanks Audie.:) I wonder how many of those who make excuses for the unpleasant god character have actually read the Bible from cover to cover as I have done many time in my 69 years on this planet.

Audie

Veteran Member
Thanks Audie.:) I wonder how many of those who make excuses for the unpleasant god character have actually read the Bible from cover to cover as I have done many time in my 69 years on this planet.

I read it cover to cover, once. That was plenty.
Must have been, for lo, I have found that it is
not at all unusual for me to know the bible
better than our nominal christians do.

The way that the Christians ratinalize the atrocities
committed by their "god" (goddies, take note
that we are referring to a character in a novel,)
is a bit of a marvel.

One that particularly gets me is that in the story,
"god" directed that his people take a city, and
kill everyone.

The horrors and terror of a siege, are a thing in
itself to consider. Then the walls are breached.

The screams and shouts, limbs severed, blood
sprayed about. Flames, death.

Here is a 13 yr old girl, huddling in terror with her
mother and sisters. Her father went out to fight,
he is dead.

Adrenaline charged, blood spattered warriors break
in! They seize the mother, kill her with a sword.
The girls are grabbed for inspection, their clothes
pulled off and their legs spread. Is there a hymen
present?

A sister whose was accidentally broken is murdered
on the spot.

Our 13 yr old is bound and carried off.

Hey, god said its ok, in fact, quite virtuous and godly.

Perhaps our apologist would like to say how
wonderful it was.